How have others here installed similar LED fixtures?

• Thread starter airedog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
So a racket strap has 2 carabiners. One is fixed to the racket portion of the device. the other one is tied to the line going thru the racket strap. Take the one that movea and loop it around the tent support and clip it into the line from the racket strap. Pull it tight and take the fix side of the racket strap and clip it to the light. you can get the light about 3" to 4" from the top of the tent by using this method.
I am able to do the first one and good thing I checked it because the knot they used was a slip not with a granny stopping it from slipping. So many problems there. The granny is about to come loose because they tied it at the end of the rope and even if it stayed intact, the granny is smaller than the hole so it could easily slip out.
The 2nd carabiner from the top doesn't fit around the tent support (I've broken 3 of them trying to do that already) and the top carabiners don't fit through the racket hole. I could just use 2 zip ties now that I think about it but I don't need to for another few months.
At this point all I'm going to do is redo the knots. If I take out the carabiner, I'll just have to re tie the knots later on.

Anthem

Anthem

InkedIMG 3935 LI

Take off the carabinar in the blue circle. Flip the racket strap around and run the carabinar on the rope end (black Circle) of the racket strap around the tent support and clip it to the line itself. Pull it tight. Add 2 more racket straps for a total of 4 and link them in this. You will raise the light to about 3 to 4" from the top.

Anthem

Anthem

I am able to do the first one and good thing I checked it because the knot they used was a slip not with a granny stopping it from slipping. So many problems there. The granny is about to come loose because they tied it at the end of the rope and even if it stayed intact, the granny is smaller than the hole so it could easily slip out.
The 2nd carabiner from the top doesn't fit around the tent support (I've broken 3 of them trying to do that already) and the top carabiners don't fit through the racket hole. I could just use 2 zip ties now that I think about it but I don't need to for another few months.
At this point all I'm going to do is redo the knots. If I take out the carabiner, I'll just have to re tie the knots later on.
Look up a San Diego Jam Knot works excellent for the racket straps. You are not clipping the carabiner to the tent support. You run the carabiner AROUND the tubing and clip it off to line itself. It works with 40 pound fixtures no problem. In fact the Gavita sends the racket straps with the 1700E fixtures.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
keeping in mind that a knot halves the breaking strength of a rope
Look up a San Diego Jam Knot works excellent for the racket straps. You are not clipping the carabiner to the tent support. You run the carabiner AROUND the tubing and clip it off to line itself. It works with 40 pound fixtures no problem. In fact the Gavita sends the racket straps with the 1700E fixtures.

Generally speaking, knots will weaken your rope by up to 40%.

http://allaboutknots.blogspot.com/2010/11/knot-strength-structures-that-make.html

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

keeping in mind that a knot halves the breaking strength of a rope

Generally speaking, knots will weaken your rope by up to 50%.
The San Diego Jam knot retains 94 percent of the line capacity.
San Diego Jam Knot
Advantages Disadvantages
Extremely strong (retains 95% line strength) Not as strong as the modified uni knot
Quick and easy to tie Not as strong as the Trilene knot as per the outcomes of knot wars.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
You are talking about fishing line and i'm not sure i'd care to hang my LEDs with that; not even FireWire or the newer braids. Same as i wouldn't spool up my Daiwa SS1400s with Sterling 2mm accessory cord.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
What about a simple bowline?

Anthem

Anthem

You are talking about fishing line and i'm not sure i'd care to hang my LEDs with that; not even FireWire or the newer braids. Same as i wouldn't spool up my Daiwa SS1400s with Sterling 2mm accessory cord.
Well the racket strap material I use is rated at 150 lbs. The San Diego Jam knot is rated at 94 percent of the line capacity. Fishing line or 2mm rope does not change the load capacity of the knot. I will take a knot and a racket strap that can hold 141 LBS.
Current reel inventory
1-Shimano Talica 20
2-Shimano Talica 12
3-Shimano Trinidad 20
1-Shimano Trinidad 16
2-Shimano Trinidad 14
1-Shimano Torium 20
1-Shimano Torium 14
2-Shimano Tranx 400
1-Shimano Tranx 500
2-Shimano LDS (trolling)
1-Okuma Makira 20
1-Penn Baja Special
That is the salt water inventory, fresh water inventory is not quite as large about half.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Fishing line or 2mm rope does not change the load capacity of the knot.
No but the physical nature of the rope may, check out the link and see why knots weaken a rope. You'll notice the strength of the knot is also dependent on the material of the line. Why don't you use the fish 'n fool knot, as it's even stronger?

Anthem

Anthem

No but the physical nature of the rope may, check out the link and see why knots weaken a rope. You'll notice the strength of the knot is also dependent on the material of the line. Why don't you use the fish 'n fool knot, as it's even stronger?
A couple of things. The fish 'n fool knot is not going to work for salter applications, here is the problem with that knot for salt water applications. The knot requires you to loop the line thru the eye of the hook twice. The crowd I fish with we all use fluorocarbon leaders or line. The line is not flexible enough to run around the eye of the hook once you get over about 15 pound rated floor carbon line.
Secondly, even if I use your knot information and say the knot causes the strength of the line to be reduced by 50 percent, I am looking at a racket strap that can hold 75 pounds or 4 of them holding up 300 ponds. So I would still have a safety factor of over 7 times the weight of your light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom