How important is uninterrupted light sensitivity ?

• Thread starter martin1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
martin1

martin1

My neighbor has been growing outdoors for several years and is really into it. He is convinced that outdoor lights are stopping some of his plants from budding the last couple years, at least some strains. I understand that darkness is important, but is it possible that transient lights, such as a back porch light that is on for an hour, or a driveway security light triggered by motion detectors ocasionallly, or ballfield lights a half mile away on some nights, would be sufficient to block budding entirely? He has gone to great lenghts to build screens for his plants. And seems to be fighting an uphill battle due to neighborhood lights etc. He has not asked me to change anything. But I feel bad, because I need my back porch light some times, and the security light is useful, since we've had a number of breakins in the area.

skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy

My neighbor has been growing outdoors for several years and is really into it. He is convinced that outdoor lights are stopping some of his plants from budding the last couple years, at least some strains. I understand that darkness is important, but is it possible that transient lights, such as a back porch light that is on for an hour, or a driveway security light triggered by motion detectors ocasionallly, or ballfield lights a half mile away on some nights, would be sufficient to block budding entirely? He has gone to great lenghts to build screens for his plants. And seems to be fighting an uphill battle due to neighborhood lights etc. He has not asked me to change anything. But I feel bad, because I need my back porch light some times, and the security light is useful, since we've had a number of breakins in the area.
You know that is a really good question and I think your neighbor answered it himself by saying "some of his strains are not budding" I have some that are well into flower and some that are just starting. Same light same location, different strain. With outdoor you have to figure out what works with the environment you are in as you can do little to change the environment.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
They say to use green light when inspecting plants in the dark. Maybe you could change your bulbs to green for a couple months. Might freak out the burglars also.Just a wild guess.

Top Bottom