How is cannabis able to take high temps outdoors in summer, but not indoors?

• Thread starter wowzerz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fatawa

fatawa

Imo 67-72° seedling,72-82 lights on(veg-finish)65-72 nights(veg-finish).but there r techniques where u do the opposite like said by @motherlode

fatawa

fatawa

I got a thread on here bout "neg dif" this is the technique im speaking of but there r a couple out there.if u dont hav good air exchange/air movement high temps will giv u airy bud.

G

GROWNewbieee

Ok so I have a 36x36x72 grow tent have a 6inch inline fan and carbon filter with ducting sucking the air out of the tent. I habe a small 6 inch fan in there and a 42" tower fan in there and the temp during the day gets to about 83 degrees and the humidity is about 38% is there a cheap way to bring the heat down and the humidity up. A little

G

GROWNewbieee

Received 1750256171666043

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

A buddy of mine asked me why cooling was such a big deal in the grow room, his point was that outdoor plants do fine in the summer heat. I had no idea how to answer that, never thought about it.
In my area it gets 100 and above quite frequently in the summer, but plenty of people grow herb and do fine. If it were to reach 100 in my room my plants would die, how is this? I have a feeling it has something to do with light intensity but I'm not sure. I tryed goggling this with no luck.

Cuz our indoor plans are our spoiled and pampered lol

fatawa

fatawa

83 degrees and the humidity is about 38% is there a cheap way to bring the heat down and the humidity up. A little
i wud just run it..but a vics humidifier will bring up humidity quick,its cheap.u hav a speed controller on yur fan?im assuming no or u wud of already turned it wide open?

G

GROWNewbieee

Should i have the outtake vent blowing somewhere other then the same room like out a window? I just have it sitting on top of the tent with 2 box fans in the Windows to suck it outside.but it's still hot it's at 79 with nothing on right now. Humidity is 41%

G

GROWNewbieee

Alright I try that and see what happens I just ordered a intake fan will that help too. I don't have ac and I don't really want to buy a portable ac either. What would be your best recommendations

fatawa

fatawa

U got a 6" inline fan pulling air out.id run a 8" "duct fan" drawing air in.but def try in get that old air drawn out..some ducting to a dryer flap wrks well.

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Outdoor plants are started in the spring, the roots can take the abuse by the time the heat comes. Also, they can breathe. Vegging is really important to plant strength. Aint no indoor grower got time for that!

BobaJob

BobaJob

I have a theory

Plants like humans sweat to keep cool, humans when sweating to keep cool have to take on water (drink) plants do the same thing through their roots (we use our mouths etc) . Out side, plants generally have massive pots or grow (in nature) in the ground (it is known that when plants need more water they grow their roots out to find it (that is why you don't want to water too often because it won't encourage roots to spread)). My hypothesis is that: in a grow room when pot size is dictated by the amount of floor space the amount of heat the plants can stand is also dictated by the size of the pot because, if the plant cannot take on an amount of water equal to or more than what is being lost through transpiration, it has to go in to survival mode... I.E. the area/mass of the roots dictates the level of heat a plant can withstand - more simply, if you're sweating out 1 ltr p/minute but you can only absorb 0.5 ltr p/minute you're going to die. so, in the wild when a plat can grow its roots as far and wide as it likes to find moisture, it cannot in a grow room where pot size is limited. in short. Pot size (or root mass/area) dictates the amount of heat a plant can stand because it limits the amount of water a plant can absorb through the roots. In the wild a plant doesn't have this limitation. As above, so below.

It's Just a theory like.

Maybe that's why seedlings need higher humidity - no/very little roots so they need to absorb the moisture through their leaves etc (or maybe even the very fine little hairs they have on the stem at the beginning)??? I'm on my 3rd grow at the moment but I can see me getting very deeply in to this lol

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I wonder if it has anything to do with PAR values. All other variables aside the biggest difference is light source. Perhaps the high heat accelerates the plants metabolism and sunlight is able to provide enough of PAR to keep up where lamps cant? just thinking out loud, I really have no idea. The soil temp would for sure be a factor too.
That said, I wonder if DWC growers with chillers can get away with temps in the 90-100's? I'm somewhat doubtful.

BobaJob

BobaJob

Outdoor plants are started in the spring, the roots can take the abuse by the time the heat comes. Also, they can breathe. Vegging is really important to plant strength. Aint no indoor grower got time for that!

You're wrong about that... I'm new to this but I have learned through reading about things quite deeply that if your roots ain't s***t ya buds ain't shit!.. They put a gastric band on fat people for a reason, so if you don't look after your plats very well during veg and make sure ya have good vegetation (solar panels) and a good root system (shit roots is like putting a gastric band on ya plants) ya gonna get shit weed... well that's what I think anyway lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If the plants are acclimated to the environment, they can do much better, although a lot depends on the strain, as some are more accustomed and genetically predisposed to handling the high temps. High temps and high humidity are better handled by Sativa strains. Tropical strains often handle the heat well, but temps don't usually get to 100 on a longterm basis. High temps will stop a plant from growing until the temps drop a little, but most of the time, the temps are lower than 100.

C

Catseeds

I know this is a old thread but information does not go bad.

I grow outdoors in highs from 101 to 112 f. The secret is big plants and mulch. The big plants shade there own rootzone same as trees. And mulch it grass keep the sun from heating the soil even more. Indoors there no shade, breeze, it soil large enough to act as a heat sink, no mulch so the plants can't take over a hundred.my thermometer under my biggest plant reads 83 soil reads 77. It's 107 RightNow.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Cannabis grows all over the world, from little valleys high in the Himalayas to every state in the US, all you have to do is a little research, some cannabis grows in hot humid environments and luv it, if growing outdoors I pick a strain that comes close to my outdoors environment a plant that can take high temps and humidity for days on end, I think the reasons allot of plants do poorly in doors is beacuse there are so so many hybrid strains, if you take a nice hardy strain and cross it with a weaker or not so much weaker but does not have the attributes of the other plant you take away some or all of the other plants hardyness, nowadays most plants are bred to grow indoors beacuse that's were the industry is headed, here outdoors we grow pine warp, northern lights and grandady purple, these strains seem to do ok in hot humid weather but even then you do not want direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day or during heat waves, I may be wrong but that's my opinion.

newh

newh

you dont have to dig very deep into the ground to find constant stable temps

Top Bottom