How Late Is To Late To Top A Plant?

• Thread starter sumerianak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sumerianak

sumerianak

i have a 50 cm plant, is it to late to top? and her sideshots, is it possible to top them also or will that turn her into a hermie?
i have another plant i top'ed a few weeks past, can i top the new mains again? and their sidebranches?
i'm in soil, plant is still in veg and i use hps and mh both for my veg room.

Last edited:
BudBogart

BudBogart

Too late? When do you plan on flipping her to flower? Do you have a pic handy? Generally speaking, cannabis is well suited to multiple topping, trimming, bending, etc. and does not cause hermits. You probably want a couple weeks to regrow after topping before going to flower stage. (Hermies, damn auto correct)

sumerianak

sumerianak

i don't mind the extra veg time, i was more worried if she would take damage to being top'ed as she is a grown up and would express it later on in flower..
i will try to get a clear picture later, here she is.
IMAG1446

sumerianak

sumerianak

would she accept to be cleaned down below and have her 6-7 rasta-hair cut/topped? and the main head topped also?

BudBogart

BudBogart

To me she looks like she would enjoy the attention. Instead of topping you may wish to super crop which is just squeezing the stems under the tops and gently bending them 90 degrees or so.
That does less stress, saves the top which will bend back up and start growing again but not until the lower branches think they have a chance to be top bud and make a concerted growth spurt.
That's what I did this year, worked great

sumerianak

sumerianak

thanks BB. so super crop the sideshots also or just the main?

sumerianak

sumerianak

side branches is already as tall as the main btw, almost anyhow. this strain has had her grow spurt i would think, i heard thats how chem grow. she might stretch a bit at the start of flower but most growth will come in her 4-6 week of veg.

BudBogart

BudBogart

thanks BB. so super crop the sideshots also or just the main?

I would super the tall upright stems, looks like you have four of them. That should push more growth to the lower or side shoots which will catch up to the cropped ones. If you like the results maybe you would crop again needing to crop 6-8 of them next time, and so on. Done right with enough time and we are turning plants into bushes with 100 equal bud sites.
Bud
NorCal outdoor grow journal

BudBogart

BudBogart

side branches is already as tall as the main btw, almost anyhow. this strain has had her grow spurt i would think, i heard thats how chem grow. she might stretch a bit at the start of flower but most growth will come in her 4-6 week of veg.
If the sides are already tall, maybe those are the ones I am calling tops?, then by all means, any stem can be cropped if it makes sense to how you want to train.
We keep posting at the same time, lol.

sumerianak

sumerianak

so it's day 4 since last watering, should i supercrop before or after tonights watering? i'll wait til couple hour after her watering then supercrop, it might be better if she's not thirsty when i do this.

Last edited:
outnin

outnin

thanks man remember to pinch and gently bend, and pick a spot in between internodes pinch till you feel the stem crush then gently ever so gently bend don't try for 90 degrees the first try only bend to 45 degrees then let the fibers adjust for an hour and gently pinch and bend to 90 degrees. I did my girls in the morning and by afternoon the tops had already started to self adjust. its a solid technique.
this is how my shorter girl reacted

WP 20160811 10 01 23 Pro
outnin

outnin

and another bit of advice is if you get a 20 gallon smart pot and a bag of fox farm ocean forest and transplant at the same time or soon after topping you will get a beefier plant.
when you shift the growth auxins the plant not only goes nuts up top but also in the root ball. Combine that new root growth pre flower with new rich soil and kablam man trust me.

sumerianak

sumerianak

might try that with my pineapple kush, she stands tall at 30 in with slightly bigger bulk.. currently she sits in a 7g pot, now if i could get hold of a 15-20 g pot around here i might try it out. thanks for the idea :)

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Too late? When do you plan on flipping her to flower? Do you have a pic handy? Generally speaking, cannabis is well suited to multiple topping, trimming, bending, etc. and does not cause hermits. You probably want a couple weeks to regrow after topping before going to flower stage. (Hermies, damn auto correct)
Thanks. This helped

BudBogart

BudBogart

so it's day 4 since last watering, should i supercrop before or after tonights watering? i'll wait til couple hour after her watering then supercrop, it might be better if she's not thirsty when i do this.
I like to super crop before watering. They have less water in the stems, easier to bend.

Top Bottom