How late is too late?

• Thread starter BukBudz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BukBudz

BukBudz

Hey everyone,

Let me run you through my current situation. I live in the South of Portugal, it's hot, dry, and notorious for cooking plants throughout summer. Usually I wouldn't have wasted any time and got seeds into the ground a couple of months ago, kept a close eye on them, and let them go through a long veg stage - but we've just moved house and I really didn't have a chance to. I've grown a few plants but I've learnt a lot over the last couple of months and am ready to step it up a bit.

Now it's the 28th of July and I have 8 seeds germinating at the moment (3 x Zamnesia Runtz Feminized, 1 x Zamnesia Critical Feminized, and 3 x Sweet Seeds JACK 47 XL Auto). I'll be growing in pots on a terrace at the top of the house. I'm not worried about the autos, just the photoperiods.

I guess I'm looking for advice and a bit of hindsight on how the next few months could play out.

Weather patterns for my area are somewhat predictable and stable
  • The daylight will drop below 12 hours on the 27th of September and down to 10.5 hours in the first week of November.
  • It doesn't rain more than a drizzle until late October
  • Rainfall is minimal after then (4-6 days/month), usually scattered in showers and split up by sunny days.
  • The average temperature doesn't get below 12 degrees until late November
  • Throughout September & October, it will still be warm (23-27 degrees)
Advertised Time To Flower
Runtz: 8-9 Weeks (20th-27th September)
Critical: 7 Weeks (13th September)
Jack 47 XL Auto: 4-5 Weeks (26th August-2nd September)

Training
Runtz: Topping & LST or Topping & SCROG
Critical: Topping & LST
Jack 47 XL Auto: LST

From reading other grow diaries for both photoperiod strains and looking at the weather patterns that would land my harvest somewhere between the 1st & 22nd of November, with Critical being ready first.

Jack 47 XL Auto should be ready between the 1st & 14th of October.

Apologies for a bit of a read, I am interested to hear some perspectives and whether or not other people have had success planting this late and relying on the joy of a Mediterranean Climate.

Thanks

Last edited:
elduderito

elduderito

I'm not sure I understand your vegging times? Do you have some sort of artificial light to keep them in veg? The photos will all start flowering as soon as they're sexually mature is my guess... definitely before the 20th of september...

BukBudz

BukBudz

I'm not sure I understand your vegging times? Do you have some sort of artificial light to keep them in veg? The photos will all start flowering as soon as they're sexually mature is my guess... definitely before the 20th of september...
I'm going off the advertised time to flowering by Zamnesia

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Outdoor plants flower before lighting reaches 12/12. They won't be waiting until September 27th.

That shouldn't be a problem for you. They'll finish in time.

elduderito

elduderito

the 'flowering time' given by breeders refers to the amount of time from switch to 12/12 when growing indoors.. it doesn't really translate to outdoors as the amount of day light is slowly reducing as of summer solstice (end of June).... generally speaking, in the Northern hemisphere plants begin to flower end of July to August and are ready September (early flowering varieties) to November (long flowering varieties) - with most of your hybrids finishing mid-October....

Since you're having a late start your plants may be slightly delayed to start flowering as they simply won't be 'sexually mature' for another 4-6 weeks from germination ... but I wouldn't expect them to go until 22nd of November unless it's some kind of pure/tropical sativa

BukBudz

BukBudz

the 'flowering time' given by breeders refers to the amount of time from switch to 12/12 when growing indoors.. it doesn't really translate to outdoors as the amount of day light is slowly reducing as of summer solstice (end of June).... generally speaking, in the Northern hemisphere plants begin to flower end of July to August and are ready September (early flowering varieties) to November (long flowering varieties) - with most of your hybrids finishing mid-October....

Since you're having a late start your plants may be slightly delayed to start flowering as they simply won't be 'sexually mature' for another 4-6 weeks from germination ... but I wouldn't expect them to go until 22nd of November unless it's some kind of pure/tropical sativa
Appreciate it! I'll be keeping a grow diary to share as well and keep track of everything :)

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Well sad, Elderito. Last year started a skittles late first or second week of July. It made it to 2 feet and started flowering first or second week of September. Finished mid to late October. Had some nice spears of good bud. It was well worth the effort. I say go for it! Wound up with a couple ounces of dry. It was my favorite. All depends on your climate. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
But if they start flowering in two weeks, blame eldurito,Not me. Lol

BudBogart

BudBogart

Late to offer opinion, but forget advertised veg time due to situation. As you germinate and grow the young plants on the veranda, keep a light on them to make sure they get 16 hours of light or more. They will continue to veg until the supplemental lighting is removed. Once plants have had a chance to get some size, put them out in natural light and they will flower.

BukBudz

BukBudz

Unfortunately, the veranda doesn't have a roof and is more of a terrace. I did consider trying to setup inside to start but was too much of an investment - we still get a shit tonne of sun and daylight at home thankfully

Latest posts

Top Bottom