How Long Do You Veg For???

• Thread starter superskunk4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
superskunk4u

superskunk4u

Hi all, Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on the vegging stage like how long to veg for. As a first time grower I'm trying to work all this out (and not kill too many plants along the way)lol I have had my plant in veg for about 8 weeks now under a 250w CFL and was going to change her to 12/12 on the 1st/2nd of april.

Soooo love to have your input and feel free to put up a few pix of your ladies if you like

Happy Farming !!!!

superskunk4u

superskunk4u

So pending height in future I can flip after 6 weeks... That's good to know as I have had a close friend (who apparently knows his shit) tell me to wait for the 10-12 week mark. then I have come on here and done some reading,I cant say I have seen anyone veg that long. I know with my current plant she has needed the extra time due to my lack a green thumb so to say

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
So pending height in future I can flip after 6 weeks... That's good to know as I have had a close friend (who apparently knows his shit) tell me to wait for the 10-12 week mark. then I have come on here and done some reading,I cant say I have seen anyone veg that long. I know with my current plant she has needed the extra time due to my lack a green thumb so to say

Try not to focus so much on when.

You will have to judge based on height and observed growth rates over time.

People say 2-3x stretch.
So with your final planned pot size.
Put them in the room and measure from the top of said pots to the maximum vertical distance with the planned buffer for heat between the lights and canopy.

Once total vertical height is measured either divide it by 2 to get your ideal flowering height for a slow growing plant.
Or divide by 3 for ideal height for a fast growing plant.

You could also just err on the side of 3x growth to be on the side of caution.

For example I have "30 of height from pot tops to the maximum distance with "8 buffer between light and canopy at max height.
4 of them are slow growers and 1 is a stretcher. So I started flowering at "10 height to be safe.

They actually hit planned height on day 2 of flower. I wanted to be safe.

superskunk4u

superskunk4u

I guess untill its Too big its all good. thanks for the input guys deff some things to keep in mind for next time

Harrypottery

Harrypottery

I currently have
1.Chronic Thunder and Banana Crack
Was started from seed 2/27... which is over 9 weeks, at least. They'll be vegged until June 13. Another 5 weeks or so.
I also have 1 chronic thunder and a Banana Sativa, that'll be vegged until 5/15/2016

I topped, LST and have done pinching. Ladies are kept short and sexy.

Between the four, they'll 2000 watts. Space is no issue.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
There is NO such thing as too long on veg. When you think about it in natural surroundings most strains veg for a minimum of 3 months. Before photoperiod of fall sets them to flower. But lets all face facts most growers dont want to wait for such long veg cycles due to time and space constraints. But in my opinion we are cheating the plant and ourselves from realizing thier true genetic potential by shortening the veg cycle.

So in an effort to reduce plant count and up yeild I will be vegging for 3 months from here on out.

Here are some galz that actually vegged for 14 weeks before flip. They were lst'ed, supercropped and pinched. I could have used a scrog screen but my back cannot take the constant bending over. With the 25 gall tubs I can use my little stool and sit and tie the shit outta of them while in a seated position

So I used lst to keep my canopy even and will do so thru out flower. Lots of pipe cleaners for sure.

DSCN1398
DSCN1394
DSCN1395
DSCN1396
DSCN1397

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

There is NO such thing as too long on veg. When you think about it in natural surroundings most strains veg for a minimum of 3 months. Before photoperiod of fall sets them to flower. But lets all face facts most growers dont want to wait for such long veg cycles due to time and space constraints. But in my opinion we are cheating the plant and ourselves from realizing thier true genetic potential by shortening the veg cycle.

So in an effort to reduce plant count and up yeild I will be vegging for 3 months from here on out.

Here are some galz that actually vegged for 14 weeks before flip. They were lst'ed, supercropped and pinched. I could have used a scrog screen but my back cannot take the constant bending over. With the 25 gall tubs I can use my little stool and sit and tie the shit outta of them while in a seated position

So I used lst to keep my canopy even and will do so thru out flower. Lots of pipe cleaners for sure.

View attachment 603548 View attachment 603549 View attachment 603550 View attachment 603551 View attachment 603552
Yea if I had time and space they would go a lot longer. It won't be long...

ken dog

ken dog

Yep, everyone has to make it their own grow... If I couldn't bend over I guarantee you I would try and grow trees as well.
So, to answer the OP, I veg as long as it takes to get a full canopy and I try to keep my plants as short as possible before flip, due to height constraints.

Panacea79

Panacea79

View attachment 603548 View attachment 603549 View attachment 603550 View attachment 603551 View attachment 603552
Yeah, I have a feeling my Afghanica (reg. Female in veg) is gonna be a MONSTER!!Shes only in a 3 gal now and is growing like Kudzu! The thing is, is that I only have ONE tent, ONE timer and I JUST had an Auto GSC from Fast Buds pop so, obviously, she'll FINISH when READY and I cant think of anything else to do but keep ole Afghani girl vegging under the current 18/6 AT LEAST until the GSC AUTO is about 2 or 3 weeks from chop and maybe THEN I'll flip to 12/12....and even that'll depend on how big EITHER/BOTH of them are down the stretch! (Flowering-stretch pun COMPLETED intended, lol) ANYONE have any suggestions besides basically making the old photoperiod plant basically 'move over' and let lil Miss Auto-I'll-finish-when-I-finish have her day(s) in the artificial sun??? I'd I'd had known this REG plant was gonna grow like a Arbor Vitae I'd have held off on the second one till later. Well keep em green, purple, Red, Blue and COVERED in White but, mainly, KEEP EM HAPPY AND GROWIN'!!!!

Top Bottom