How long should I wait start plants?

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I'm doing an indoor grow of strawberry cough in my garage. Since it's in my garage & garage isnt well insulated it might as well be an outdoor grow in terms of temps. I live in the Northeastern U.S. where temps arent the warmest. For the next 10 days highs will be in the 50s/60 max with the lows going as low as mid 30s. I'll be using a 250 watt hps light which I've read in a closet will raise temp max of 5°F. My area is not contained in a tent or grow box so I figure it won't hit that extra 5° max. Also the strain is 70/30 sativa/indica which I've read likes warm tropical temps. I'm afraid if I start now the seedlings will die being too cold. I have a heating mat for seedlings & some have suggested doing light cycle 24/0 for temps but still these temps seem too low. Any suggestions on when I should start these & any tips?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Test your environment before you plant. Set up your light, put down a pot, set it to 5k lux, and read the temp on the top of the pot. If ur not using a ballast you might be ok to start now. Yet you really need to know the temp with the light on.

Also why not put a 15$ heater next to it for when the lights go off?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why not start them inside? Seedlings take very little room. I definitely would not be putting them out if you dropping below 40-50s at night. I'd wait for night temps over 50f but by the time you plant them and they are 12" you probably have 3weeks (assuming your in soil). They will do quite fine under a 4000-6500k florescent tube for that period. I say around may long weekend is usually close.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Test your environment before you plant. Set up your light, put down a pot, set it to 5k lux, and read the temp on the top of the pot. If ur not using a ballast you might be ok to start now. Yet you really need to know the temp with the light on.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

The balast is just a regular balast with no way of turning up or down. I've considered a heater but electrical in garage is old as hell & was worried about fire but maybe it could be ok.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
if you use your garage, you might consider building out a little room for them. you can frame it and use the wall board from a box store and wont take much money or time. then you can control that environment easily.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Why not start them inside? Seedlings take very little room. I definitely would not be putting them out if you dropping below 40-50s at night. I'd wait for night temps over 50f but by the time you plant them and they are 12" you probably have 3weeks (assuming your in soil). They will do quite fine under a 4000-6500k florescent tube for that period. I say around may long weekend is usually close.
Was planning on sprouting inside but once they need to go under light they gotta go outside. I have T5 fluorescent but only have tiny closet in kitchen so dont think it'll fit.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

if you use your garage, you might consider building out a little room for them. you can frame it and use the wall board from a box store and wont take much money or time. then you can control that environment easily.
I used one of those wooden room dividers last yr. I've got a 2nd one now so maybe that'll be enough to contain added with pandafiim. I do have a few big wooden boards out in garage.

Top Bottom