How long will powdery mold live in a house

• Thread starter Spock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Spock

Spock

Hello all,
I'm wondering if anybody has knowledge on a light blue to grey powdery substance that was all over some dead dried up branches and stems. The dead branches were in a plastic bin. When I opened the bin a dry powdery substance rose into the air. This happened just outside the door of another room where a grow tent is. Nothing is growing in this tent just yet. But there will be. I'm wondering will this powdery substance go through my furnace and ventilation system and eventually make its way into other rooms? I immediately washed the clothes that I had on and took a shower in case anything got in my hair. I do have plants growing in another room inside a tent. So I want to make sure nothing gets inside that room. I'm assuming it is some kind of a mold but I don't know anything about it. Could that powder land on a surface and live there for long lengths of time only to be inadvertently picked up and transferred into a tent room in the future? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Yes, those are spores.

If the mold was growing on dead, rotting vegetation in a plastic bin, I'm thinking it might just be common bread mold or something similar, rather than a pathogen. But if you don't want that shit in your house, if you can help it.

The sad reality is that these spores and spores from pathogenic molds are everywhere. What you need to do is prevent the conditions that cause these spores to germinate and thrive. For mold like this, never put live or recently living plant parts in a plastic bag or bin, in your grow area (or home, in general). Get that shit out of there. Keep humidity down.

Spock

Spock

Hi growsince thanks for responding. I certainly won't keep that in the house next time around. I couldn't believe how it was completely covered on the top and just opening the lid made it shoot up in the air in a big puff. It was in a dark basement room with very high humidity. It sounds like the perfect conditions. I guess that's why within three weeks it was covered in it. If it is similar to a bread mold is that anything that I need to worry about? The branches were all very dry and the mold was a very fine loose powder. I guess at this point there's not a lot I can do about it. The fine powder would have settled back down in a workshop which would make it very difficult to clean because of all the tools and stuff. I have to walk right through this area to get into the room where a tent is. Do you think this stuff could survive for weeks just on a regular surface and then multiply and catch on a person's clothing as they walked by?

Ponky

Ponky

Mold spores are always everywhere in the air. All you can do is bleach the surfaces and do your best. Mold still needs conditions and a suitable host. So nice healthy plants should be OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom