How long will white pistils continue popping up(after 12+ weeks flowering)

• Thread starter NewbieTed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NewbieTed

NewbieTed

Hi all,
I'm doing a staged, partial harvest every 5-6 days (before water and nutes). So far I've just pulled buds that were casting shade on other buds. Some of them have had a few to more clear trichomes, along with mostly cloudy with a touch or more amber ones.

There are lots of colas and popcorn buds that are continuing to grow and fattening with white pistils and have nary a cloudy or amber trichome to be seen. My question is how long will the plants survive while I'm waiting for the immature buds to ripen? I've so far yielded 202g after drying to the right moisture level and prior to putting in the Grove bags (I'm shocked and thrilled for a newbie with a black thumb!) They are photoperiod and per the package of seeds, 60-70 days flowering time. I'm at day 84 after flip to 12/12 and it looks like it might be at least several weeks or more before the remainder are ready to be pulled. I look at the trichomes on each bud before i cut it. This is a lot of time investment, but I'm a retired, stay at home housewife and have plenty of time to baby them. A musican named Greg Brown sings it best: "Time ain't money if all ya got is time" (the song is "Just a Bum").

I'm still giving nutes, in fact i increased it a little as the girls were getting too yellow with these many buds and the time needed to ripen them. The yellowing has backed off and in a couple plants, much the yellow has gone bact to a darker green. Hubby just smoked some bud that was in the Grove bag for a week+. He said that it is much smoother and that it feels like the THC level is now higher than the dispensary stuff he's been buying for the last 9 years (when he started medical cannabis in AZ). He says he can't taste any nutes and is very happy that I'll save us a ton of money growing our own. Between the two of us, we go through about 3 oz a month. Looking at the girls, what's left after the partial harvests, it looks like I'll get at least another 200g or more of finished product!

So, anything to do to keep these girls alive and the buds to finish up? At what point do I chop the rest of the plants down the road?
Thank you,
Ted

incidentally, i highly recommend that if you have long hair that you tie it back when working on your plants. It takes a long time to sit and pull out the long hairs from the buds with tweezers. It least they are white or blonde, they're harder to see. Lesson learned.
How long will white pistils continue popping upafter 12 weeks flowering
How long will white pistils continue popping upafter 12 weeks flowering 2
How long will white pistils continue popping upafter 12 weeks flowering 3
How long will white pistils continue popping upafter 12 weeks flowering 4

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can probably chop those at any time, but doing as you have been doing seems like a good idea.

BTW, Irie has some great, high potency products. One of my favorite strains uses Lemon Jeffery as a parent (Lemon Sunrise).

NewbieTed

NewbieTed

I just bought Irie's Donatello and Rafael for next grow from my local dispensary with Tuesday discount, only $8.50 a seed.

Nice thing is that I bought 24 feminized seeds, but there were 30 seeds, so I got 6 free ones. The last pack I bought of the lemon Jeffery had "only" the six seeds. But they all germinated, so that was super fine.
IMG 20210716 094837848
IMG 20210716 094329770

NewbieTed

NewbieTed

Well, AZ, I need to preface this all with caveats: I have no life. And I have spent an enormous amount of time and energy in learning what I can. Anything I've done is purely based on my reading countless blogs and posts. This is my first ever even semi-successful garden/houseplant of any kind. I've killed every one. I even have bad luck with trees. I've just done what I've read online and if it seemed like a good idea at the time.

From what I pieced together, I decided when the top colas were ready (probably because they got more light), I pulled them. 5 days later, , I took off the top ones with cloudy and amber trichomes. Right before next watering, in 2-3 days, I will pull anything that looks ready and any others that are casting shade.

I have hundreds of smaller buds, but when they get the light they fatten right up. Layers of buds. All popping out only white pistils. I got a little carried away with FIMing. This is gonna take a few weeks or a month to get them to ripen. That's why I'm wondering how long can the plants hold out?

So every day with my morning coffee, I sit with the girls, talk to them and have so far convinced them that their missing parts are in a better spot and that they will get there too. I'm trying to encourage them.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

I love it! Your doing shit your way and it’s achieving your own personal goal. That’s how it’s done 👏. I share your skill in growing. Thankfully all these pros on here answer my dumb questions and help me out a lot.

I remember a few years back I had a couple heirlooms that had a nice spot with good soil and the more I picked and added nutes the more that it blossomed and produced.

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Well, AZ, I need to preface this all with caveats: I have no life. And I have spent an enormous amount of time and energy in learning what I can. Anything I've done is purely based on my reading countless blogs and posts. This is my first ever even semi-successful garden/houseplant of any kind. I've killed every one. I even have bad luck with trees. I've just done what I've read online and if it seemed like a good idea at the time.

From what I pieced together, I decided when the top colas were ready (probably because they got more light), I pulled them. 5 days later, , I took off the top ones with cloudy and amber trichomes. Right before next watering, in 2-3 days, I will pull anything that looks ready and any others that are casting shade.

I have hundreds of smaller buds, but when they get the light they fatten right up. Layers of buds. All popping out only white pistils. I got a little carried away with FIMing. This is gonna take a few weeks or a month to get them to ripen. That's why I'm wondering how long can the plants hold out?

So every day with my morning coffee, I sit with the girls, talk to them and have so far convinced them that their missing parts are in a better spot and that they will get there too. I'm trying to encourage them.
The plants hold out till the end. That method you are using usually keeps the plants going.
Eventually the white hairs will stop popping up. (One way to stretch that is when the white hairs stop coming in so many to switch to a different fertilizer.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Adding nutes late in flower will cause your lady to go back into veg growing more pistols and leaves. As a plant matures it begins to burn large amounts of nitrogen so yellowing leaves starting at the bottom are perfectly normal. I’m an indoor scrog grower, this method helps all of my colas to be somewhat the same size w/o all of the popcorn or larf growing under the lighted area. Good luck! Grow through what you go through!

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Sounds like a workable plan, I'm curious if you notice the plants being set back or slowed down by the trimming they get? Was thinking maybe seal off the cut with Play dough or something like it? Or do they not bleed much? Once watered a plant by mistake that I was going to harvest. I was impressed by the amount of water the stump was gushing out after I chopped it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom