Votes: 1 11.1%
  • MORE or LESS than above "respond to thread if you picked this box"

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
P

paulycali

What up farmers

Just like the thread says

How many lights would you put in a 21ft x 14ft room?

shawnskush

shawnskush

14 600 watters would be the best setup in my opinion. Blockbuster hoods 6 inches apart the length of the room and about a foot on either side to work around it all

Cort

Cort

I also worked out 5 rows of 3. Sealed with 3 on each fan.

Before # of lights is finalized I would have to consider if this is your only space, or do you have non grow work and storage space.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I also worked out 5 rows of 3. Sealed with 3 on each fan.

Before # of lights is finalized I would have to consider if this is your only space, or do you have non grow work and storage space.

Cort's idea is 90 degrees from mine. He's suggesting the same 15 lights, but with five rows- rows in this case defined as a line of hoods arranged vent to vent, meaning the bulbs' axis is also along this line.

I see how he chose, but to defend my slightly different configuration; the room is 14 feet wide. This is actually 4'8" times three, so I want the bulb's axis to be perpendicular to this longer distance so it will cover it well. Hence, three across.

I have magnum xxxl 'ocho' hoods in my bloomroom, and each does a great job of filling up 4 running feet. They do not do a great job of sending light very far along the axis of the bulb, so I run my hoods basically end to end. My room is 16' long; 4 of these hoods work great in that space, with no dark spots at one end or the other. 21' / 4 = 5 of these big oversized hoods.

You can effectively chill up to six hoods with 8" vents if they're all in line with no bends, with just one 8" muffin fan SUCKING from the downwind end. Pushing the air heats it and goes a long way towards defeating the purpose of cooling the hoods in the first place. In my bloomroom, I have two rows of four magnum xxxl ochos, Siamesed into the same 8" inlet at one end, and into the same 8" outlet at the other, all 8 serviced very well by just one 8" muffin fan.

If you go with cheapie hoods like radiant 6", you'll end up needing an extra one on each row. This quantifies their relative inefficiency well; I AM saying those hoods are 20% less efficient, at least!

ttystikk

ttystikk

WHAT your light source is matters. If you have not made any lighting equipment purchases yet, in your position I would go out and buy Gavita's Proline 1000W DE HPS technology; these run at 400v (bulb voltage; ballasts runs on standard 220) and the system has enormous advantages over screw-in 240v ballasts and bulbs. These include much greater effective light pressure per watt, drastically longer bulb life with much less lumen loss over time. Sold as a complete system, it's very price competitive with a high end hood, top quality bulb and name brand digital ballast such as Solis Tek.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Also if you use the 1000w de gavitas or e papillion you can get away with less lamps, electricity and still get the yield you want. They boast 3 fixtures per 2 4x8 trays and the test concluded true.

P

paulycali

Thanks for the responses everyone

Appreciate it for sure

All the hoods are air cooled 8" with 1000w bulbs

I believe this room would be most efficient with 3 rows of 6. Also 3 rows of 5 would work great too. I was also thinking about hanging 4 vertical bulbs within the 21ft by 14ft space :)

The 21ft x 14ft is just the bloom room. There's more space for veg and storage

rawman

rawman

I'd something smaller.... I don't think I'd do three rows..... your space is only 14' wide, I go by 5x5 spuares, it doesn't quite work out for three rows, unless you like tight spaces..... Ideally I'd want more like 18' going width to do 3 rows

I'm with midwestdensies and try to do something like 8-10k

P

paulycali

I'd something smaller.... I don't think I'd do three rows..... your space is only 14' wide, I go by 5x5 spuares, it doesn't quite work out for three rows, unless you like tight spaces..... Ideally I'd want more like 18' going width to do 3 rows

I'm with midwestdensies and try to do something like 8-10k

What up rawman. So how many then? Kinda confused on what you wrote. I know less and closer to midwestdensies but how many

Cort

Cort

The reasoning behind TTY's layout makes perfect sense. My concern was keeping enough air moving in the hoods, thinking 5 too many to cool effectively. He says it can be done, I bow to his far greater experience.

P

paulycali

I think 12 is the magic number for this room. Now if equipment and electricity weren't a concern to you would you then put more hoods in the room or is more just overkill. Seems like 12 would be ideal but could i quite possibly could squeeze 16 in there? I just wan the room to be as efficient as possible

If i can't squeeze 16 in there then how about 12 horizontal reflectors 1000 watters with 4 verticals 600 watters. How does that sound?

rawman

rawman

Its hard for me to give a exact # without being in the room dude sorry..... I go by 5x5 squares though, see how many you can fit and still have room to work, and that's your comfortable amount of lights..... I feel the 5x5 sized squares are neccessary to maximize your light spread and get the most of your yield....... I feel the extra space for you is also neccesary, and we all know itll probably still end up full with some big ass plants.... I always make room for walk ways though.... Nothing better than doing a 360 around the tables or perimeters.... Gives you more chance to notice evry proble, and makes it much easier to access every plants....

rawman

rawman

sorry it is hard for me to help set up grows via online, I try but explaining and typing is harder than visually explaining for me....

P

paulycali

Its hard for me to give a exact # without being in the room dude sorry..... I go by 5x5 squares though, see how many you can fit and still have room to work, and that's your comfortable amount of lights..... I feel the 5x5 sized squares are neccessary to maximize your light spread and get the most of your yield....... I feel the extra space for you is also neccesary, and we all know itll probably still end up full with some big ass plants.... I always make room for walk ways though.... Nothing better than doing a 360 around the tables or perimeters.... Gives you more chance to notice evry proble, and makes it much easier to access every plants....

Understandable. Thanks for the info rawman appreciate it for sure. I'll figure this out in the next day or two. Keep em coming everyone even though i feel we've figured out the proper light count. Thanks again farmers and keep up the good work :)

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks for the responses everyone

Appreciate it for sure

All the hoods are air cooled 8" with 1000w bulbs

I believe this room would be most efficient with 3 rows of 6. Also 3 rows of 5 would work great too. I was also thinking about hanging 4 vertical bulbs within the 21ft by 14ft space :)

The 21ft x 14ft is just the bloom room. There's more space for veg and storage

8" sealed and vented hoods of what type? If they're oversized magnum style hoods, 5 in the row will be fine. If not, depending on type you may need 6. Looking at it another way, that's 3kW I would much rather not burn-or cool- for questionable gains in lighting or yields.

The reasoning behind TTY's layout makes perfect sense. My concern was keeping enough air moving in the hoods, thinking 5 too many to cool effectively. He says it can be done, I bow to his far greater experience.

Thanks, brother- that's quite a vote of confidence! I'm on familiar ground here as I'm talking about a setup style I'm intimately familiar with. If I don't know, I'm not afraid to say so... makes what I DO know sound a little more credible that way, Lol.

ttystikk

ttystikk

This sounds great in theory- but in practice, having walkways between plants and reflective wall surfaces represents a serious loss of growroom lighting efficiency. I plan around tables/spaces/trellises I can manage from one side, specifically to minimize this problem as much as possible.

rawman

rawman

Keep it gangster

Latest posts

Top Bottom