How many hours of darkness?

• Thread starter rocky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Give your plants extra darkness before turning the lights back on for flowering?

• Yes! 48 Hours

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes! but only 36 hours

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Only 24 hours

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Just the reg, 12 hours

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters
R

rocky

How many hours of darkness do you guys do before turning the lights back on to start flowering. I have heard people like to leave there plants in 48 hours of dark to get them switched into flowering gear. What do you guys think? Yes ? No? 48 hours? 36 Hours? 24 Hours? or Just 12?

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

just 12 man.. I know people will say for the first few days 36 48..... but 12 or if you do 13 hours and they will be in flower longer with a bigger yield....take your time with it

G

GDS StonerBoy

Very very good thread topic rocky! I hope to see more give there opinion on this and hopefully we can get some interesting facts as well. This is something i always wondered but i normally just give them 24 hours dark them switch them to 12/12.

R

rocky

all you guys that are saying only 12, have you had any experience with 24 or 48 hours of darkness to debunk its theory of resetting the internal clock in the plants to shift into flower gear?

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

Ive done it... 48-36 24 and 12.... they will flower by a day or so faster but whats the hurry... I think it stresses the girl out and I find they freak out... doing it on 12 is what they need

R

rocky

gotcha! Makes sense what your saying, and i think your right about it stressing them out. They should make xanax for plants lol.

I

Indie

I think slowly working down to 12/12 is the best way. Mother nature seems to think so also.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I always give 36 hours dark, and the reason is I am a scrogger.

I utilise that extra stretch to help with the scrog, and in the end increase yeild. If growing untrained plants I would suggest strait 12/12

S

sempervirdis

Usually i do straight 12/12 but depends much on the genetics im using and the training im doing ( if any )....for the most sensitive plants i slowly work my way (half hour a day ) till 12/12....

Yeah That Herbalizor !!!!

D

dr.jellybean

i dont know what the current thinking is , but in my opinion the plant needs the dark to produce hormones ,but only has a limmited ability to do so , it needs the light to maintaine all its other functinos ................... how would you feel if you were locked in a wardrobe for 48 hours ???

R

rocky

whats a wardrobe? like an outfit? But i dont like being locked anywhere

P

ProGroWannabe

I'll add my two cents here as well. I only do 12/12 from the beginning of flower till the end for all strains except for these hazes I'm growing now. For these I MAY go to a longer lights-off time near the end. Otherwise, it's 12/12 for me too. I just don't see enough benefit with 24-48 hrs of darkness at the onset to justify the stress.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Interesting responses, i've just tried the 24 hour trick to see if it helps with flowering onset, i can see both sides of the argument though.

P.s im using uk cheese, has anyone had quicker flowering times using 24 -48 hours of darkness? :)

D

DroMan

i did the 24 hours of darkness with some c4 x black russian. with in 3 days it showed me some sexy female parts ^^. i've read that 24+hours of darkness at the end of the grow helps also, maybe a pro can chime in and confirm

Blazed_Out

Blazed_Out

I just put my plants in the flowering room without inducing any darkness rituals.

But I do decrease the hours of light to about 10 on 14 off with my sativa dom's to try and make them finish.

Maybe people give 1 or 2 days darkness before putting them in flower to try and trick the plant into resetting its photosynthesis schedule?

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Cool, im try gonna 48 hours on the next 1, see if theres a visible difference with the cheese
:D

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Whats the point of messing around with the lights, stick to 12/12

patients is a virtue

Latest posts

Top Bottom