How many people use a MH bulb during the last 2 weeks of flowering

• Thread starter paulycali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you switch out your HPS bulb for MH bulb during the last 2 weeks of flowering

• You bet i do increases resin production for sure

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Nah dont think it makes any difference or i am just to lazy

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
P

paulycali

Wondering how many farmers out there switch out there HPS bulb and replace it with a MH bulb during the last 2 weeks of flowering

I veg with a MH and flower with a HPS

Should i throw in my MH bulb asap?

philly kush

philly kush

Wondering how many farmers out there switch out there HPS bulb and replace it with a MH bulb during the last 2 weeks of flowering

Hey Paulycali whats up,I remember reading something about this switch up somewhere n if i recall i think it has something ta do with resin production,the article was in 1 of my mags if i can find it i will PM it 2 u

dankworth

dankworth

Hell yeah you should run MH in last 2 weeks. No doubt. I have seen the frost. Happens fast, too. I ran 1/2 hps 1/2 mh overhead before. And it was frosty to a certain extent(would have been frostier w/something besides those 4200k broke-ass 18.00 internet lamps), but when I was taking down the room, it became too bright for the remaining specimens. So I had to dim the hps, because the hps was on digis and the mhs on magnetics that I had at that time.
And as I dimmed the hps down, and the relative ratio of mh light to hps light increased, there was an immediate increase in frost. And the more the light was weighted towards the mh spectrum, the frostier they got. Straight up.
Your lamp choice will also play a part in how much frost and what flavors predominate.

And a good mh lamp will produce a different, more complex set of flavors than with pure hps.
Anyone who would advise otherwise most likely has not played with hps vs mh in vert and overhead for months at a time.

MH will make your weed more dank. I don't know if a 10k aquarium metal halide for example with that surplus of blue would produce more dank meds than the 5k-6500k daylight metal halides. Hopefully someone can tell us about that.

I will say for a fact that my chemo x og kush was at its best under a hortilux blue mh. Too bad those lamps are $170 apiece and have a 300 hour lifespan.

I can vouch for a positive result from the digilux 1k mh that is 55.00 at pl---light---hydro---ics.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I run mh and hps through the entire run. This is my first time doing so. I'll definitely post results in my diary. So far so good.

outwest

P

paulycali

Thanks everyone!

I will for sure be switching out my HPS bulb to my MH bulb tomorrow

If i see an increase in resin production and visable trichome production from switching out my bulb i am going to shit my pants LOL! My ladies are already frosty as can be. I got my Sour Amnesia's dialed in and they are looking off the charts frosty. For sure the frostiest shiniest plant i've grown to date. So sparkly

Sounds like switching out bulbs is the way to go

I will get back to you all on the turn out

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
you must spread rep before giving it to dankworth again.

+1 anyway. I use the digilux 1ks in veg. I like them a lot. good info DW

dankworth

dankworth

you must spread rep before giving it to dankworth again.

+1 anyway. I use the digilux 1ks in veg. I like them a lot. good info DW

Dude that lamp, even on a magnetic ballast, is shockingly bright. And I like the spectral output, with a balanced amount all the way across except for the peaks in the reds and the blues. I read in a post a long time ago that the digilux mhs are 5400k, and hps are 2400k.

I hang that shit up in a super sun 2 reflector backed up to the ceiling in a reflective 5x8 veg space, and I mom under it, veg under it, clone under it, nothing of mine stalls cause all they know is my bright-ass 1k mh sun. I have no transition shock with light intensity. None. It will simplify your life if you can run a 1k mh veg light, everyone. It is a "big kid" step that you should all work toward if you do not have it.

When I am not broke I will be getting a grip of those digilux mhs and running more of those overhead fo sho, especially in last 2 weeks where I will run all mh like a playboy.

The ladies like mh better most of the time, they told me so.
Let's not forget that one of the big kids on this site(JK) said that he ran all metal halide at first, then a mh/hps mix(that I think was heavier on the metal halides) then finished with all halides. If I remember correctly, that is.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Hell yeah you should run MH in last 2 weeks. No doubt. I have seen the frost. Happens fast, too. I ran 1/2 hps 1/2 mh overhead before. And it was frosty to a certain extent(would have been frostier w/something besides those 4200k broke-ass 18.00 internet lamps), but when I was taking down the room, it became too bright for the remaining specimens. So I had to dim the hps, because the hps was on digis and the mhs on magnetics that I had at that time.
And as I dimmed the hps down, and the relative ratio of mh light to hps light increased, there was an immediate increase in frost. And the more the light was weighted towards the mh spectrum, the frostier they got. Straight up.
Your lamp choice will also play a part in how much frost and what flavors predominate.

And a good mh lamp will produce a different, more complex set of flavors than with pure hps.
Anyone who would advise otherwise most likely has not played with hps vs mh in vert and overhead for months at a time.

MH will make your weed more dank. I don't know if a 10k aquarium metal halide for example with that surplus of blue would produce more dank meds than the 5k-6500k daylight metal halides. Hopefully someone can tell us about that.

I will say for a fact that my chemo x og kush was at its best under a hortilux blue mh. Too bad those lamps are $170 apiece and have a 300 hour lifespan.

I can vouch for a positive result from the digilux 1k mh that is 55.00 at pl---light---hydro---ics.

Thanks for sharing.
Have heard of using MH 1st 2 weeks to help keep em short and squat. Do you do this as well?

Got some new gear to test it out. magnums/solistek matrix + Digilux mh and ushio hps

dankworth

dankworth

Thanks for sharing.
Have heard of using MH 1st 2 weeks to help keep em short and squat. Do you do this as well?

Got some new gear to test it out. magnums/solistek matrix + Digilux mh and ushio hps

I actually have to encourage my chemo x og to stretch, it is pretty stocky. Baseball bats stocky.
If I had a wifi or something that I were playing with, I think I absolutely would use all mh to shorten the internodes like that, to get more bud sites in a given height of canopy.

I think the Mg in bud igniter may simply causes a shortening of internodes from the extra Mg alone. I should look into that in more detail.

I have read lots of good things about Ushios, but have never used them.

H

hohack

Hello,

Do I need to remove the glass in my air-cooled fixture to achieve the benefits of the MH bulb?

Thanks

ho

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Seems like there are some digilux fans? I don't use them now, but I've considered trying them out because of the make the only true 600w MH that I know of.

outwest

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Seems like there are some digilux fans? I don't use them now, but I've considered trying them out because of the make the only true 600w MH that I know of.

outwest

*cough* sunpulse *cough*

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks, cemchris. Forgot about those!

green punk

green punk

IME out of necessity before the luxury of switchable. I have ran halides and sodium side by side w sodium in middle of. Through veg and flower. The harvests I experienced went like this: directly under halide, similar heights, smaller, less weight dense crystal packed bud, directly under sodium, larger less crystal density. The plants that were in between the two had best of both, good size buds (not as big as HPS) but nice and more crystal than either. Hence the dual arc.

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

Been there did that years ago on a different Grow Forum lol, and yes it is better if u mix the 2 together so the two lights blend together, I did it over my 5x10 bed, the MH in the middle and the HPS towards the ends, with the MH sitting up higher then the HPS so it could get a broader footprint, thats why im going to give these bulbs a try and see how they do compared to the ihorts.....GM

DSC04438
DSC04439
DSC04440
DSC04441
DSC04442
G

grinkeeper

I have done a few runs with the hps vs mh testing in mind... I have noticed that density can really be postivly inpacted with the use of MH in the last month.. there is just something wierd about it that I dont understand but I have had fanastic resin and density results when suplimenting with mh and flat out MH only even can work good when you know your cuts...and give them everythign else in perfect harmony...

I dont know if this is oppitite to the know knowledge out there but the plants closer the mh 1000s seemed to stretch less as well.. versus the hps...

and the overlap of the 2 was alsways a great place for wonderful buds..

I tell you I grew mota heriajuana under a 1000 mh and under a hps side by side and everyoe loved the herijuana from the MH the best.. knock you the F out... it was strong.. but taste was better with the hps...

density was better with mh though and resin .. and that run I did full bloom cycle 16 under mh and 16 under hps with a few overlapping

dankworth

dankworth

My plants were happiest under 1/2 hps and 1/2 mh. I thought about the cost and actual light output of ( ) dual arcs vs the cost and actual light output of ( )good hps lamps and ( )mh lamps. I thought about this as I screwed my $60 lamps into my $75 used super sun 2 reflectors arranged so that every bay was crosslit by a neighboring super sun 2.
I get a mixed spectrum and a lot of light for less money that way.

I do think that running all mh the last 2 weeks is a good idea.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Yup, definitely. Mh for veg and transition, then 50/50 hps, then back to all mh + uv in the end. Working on something even better..

Hps-only sucks in comparison, imho.

dankworth

dankworth

Yup, definitely. Mh for veg and transition, then 50/50 hps, then back to all mh + uv in the end. Working on something even better..

Hps-only sucks in comparison, imho.

I hope it's something even better and does not cost 1300 for 300 watts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom