How many people use a MH bulb during the last 2 weeks of flowering

• Thread starter paulycali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you switch out your HPS bulb for MH bulb during the last 2 weeks of flowering

• You bet i do increases resin production for sure

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Nah dont think it makes any difference or i am just to lazy

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
El Cerebro

El Cerebro

..working on an 11,000k torch-lighter, just be careful and don't burn your thumb

Btw, the spd on the digilux box shows spikes at ~650-700. Compared with other hps, I'd def get these ones. Anybody know the best price for the 600's? Gonna check DW's source.

G

grinkeeper

Don ask me about the top bulbs.. I have gone back to a very simple cost effect bulb program..

I have a connection where I get my 600 mh and hps bulbs for less than 15$ each.. I think the hps is 2000 or 2500k and the mhs are either 4500 or 6000k.. color spectrum..

So I know just switch my bulbs every 120 days or sometimes even every cycle.. we all know the best part of the bulb life is the first half .. so my thoughts are the first 1/4 of there life they must be the brighest..

so its just quick change bulbs for me....

I have had great results so far with these generic bulbs.. they are not shop light bulbs are are made for hort use.. just thye come unbranded.. I have seen other name brands bulbs that I swear are the same and come from the saem factory.. hey eye hortilux are fricken awesome and if I had a choice I would use them ever time.. but hey if I had my choice I would also love to have enough money to give away to allow everyone to live like bill gates....

I

ibTheMan

I use a SunPulse 4000k bulb for veg and the first week or so of budn, they say the 10000k SunPulse bulbs is great for late.

M

mrduke

Don ask me about the top bulbs.. I have gone back to a very simple cost effect bulb program..

I have a connection where I get my 600 mh and hps bulbs for less than 15$ each.. I think the hps is 2000 or 2500k and the mhs are either 4500 or 6000k.. color spectrum..

So I know just switch my bulbs every 120 days or sometimes even every cycle.. we all know the best part of the bulb life is the first half .. so my thoughts are the first 1/4 of there life they must be the brighest..

so its just quick change bulbs for me....

I have had great results so far with these generic bulbs.. they are not shop light bulbs are are made for hort use.. just thye come unbranded.. I have seen other name brands bulbs that I swear are the same and come from the saem factory.. hey eye hortilux are fricken awesome and if I had a choice I would use them ever time.. but hey if I had my choice I would also love to have enough money to give away to allow everyone to live like bill gates....

Well....... you gonna fill us in on your hook up spot, or is it a friends only deal.

Ever after

Ever after

done mh by hps and and its a complete waste of time unless your using a hood with no glass

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

done mh by hps and and its a complete waste of time unless your using a hood with no glass

Not sure exactly what you mean but I'll agree that glass between lamp and plants kinda sux. I know some people have to do it, but super glad I don't..

dorjewright

dorjewright

I've been vegging and transitioning under mh (Digilux and Hotilux blue). Now on week 3 from flip and have nice buds and the stretch seems to be over. So if I understand correctly this is the time to switch to hps. I have about 50/50 indicas hybrids and super silver haze under a 4x7 screen. I'm thinking hps for the ssh and a mix for the indicas ( end to end bulbs in the large adjustawing on a mover that can be rotated 360 degrees). Then for the last few weeks for the ssh switch from hps to mh.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I don't know why the stripted light pattern - probably a function of the iphone camera.. First photo is purple diesel under a digilux 600mh. Second photo a 1000 hortilux blue mh and a lunatek 600 end to end in the adjustawing.

IMG 0215
IMG 0219
IMG 0221
ttystikk

ttystikk

I am sadly running glass hoods due to needing to provide extra cooling in a sealed room environment. I have a dual arc bulb I was going to try in the last 2 weeks, but if the glass negates the effect, should I bother?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Im definitely taking danks experience to heart,my new veg room will have an awing/1000w mh combo in it,it just makes sense to me.An 8 bulb badboy t5 takes 2.5amps(240)and id need at least 2 and probably another one with just a couple bulbs for new cuttings/seedlings in my 8x8 veg room,thats 6 or 7 amps vs. a 1000 at like 4.5 amps?and you get better everything with the halide,Coverage,growth,ability to throw into flower without hardening off and im saving amps?Fuck yeah,im in.Im a rook to the indoor deal but id also like to relate what my buddy does in the last two weeks of flower that he swears by,he switches out his bulbs not for MH but to sunpulse 10k bulbs,he swears that these bulbs sunburn(for lack of a better word)his plants and they send everything they got to the buds and leaves to protect themselves,i dont personally have any experience with it but i can tell you his buds are killah!

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

I've tried it in the past, but didn't notice any real difference. Nowadays I'm just too damn lazy to go and change out all the bulbs.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Thanks for sharing.
Have heard of using MH 1st 2 weeks to help keep em short and squat. Do you do this as well?

Got some new gear to test it out. magnums/solistek matrix + Digilux mh and ushio hps

I started keeping the MH bulbs in for the first 2 weeks of flowering on my OG's and it has definitely helped slow the stretch down a lot.

xrob415x

xrob415x

I have heard from many veteran growers that MH during the last two weeks will increase resin/potencybut will make you lose a little weight. I feel that the reason MH increases resin production is because it produces more UVB light the HPS lights. I have the suspicion that using HPS the last two weeks with added reptile or tanning lights will give the increased resin/potency plus weight. I will be testing this soon!! I started a thread about this in the advanced section.

St3ve

St3ve

I have heard from many veteran growers that MH during the last two weeks will increase resin/potencybut will make you lose a little weight. I feel that the reason MH increases resin production is because it produces more UVB light the HPS lights. I have the suspicion that using HPS the last two weeks with added reptile or tanning lights will give the increased resin/potency plus weight. I will be testing this soon!! I started a thread about this in the advanced section.

Let us know how it goes. I would love to see a side by side of suck a test.

NorthernLite

NorthernLite

My last run i made the mistake of running too many in separate DWC buckets, and I simply didn't have the time to keep up with them. I eventually reached a point were I had discovered a terrible infestation of aphids, gnats, and probably some other nasties. Anyway, I was too far into flower (I should mention that I was using my HPS to finish flowering out an Afghan #1 from W.O.S.) to employ various extermination methods, so I began to experiment-and by NO means am I claiming I followed a strict scientific protocol, simply different methods to see how much abuse the plants could take (I thought they were lost so why not see what had any effects if any, why not right?) so I used bleach combos, H2O2, dunks, etc..To my surprise I wiped out enough of the nasties to the point where they were 'healthy' again, and decided to keep using the MH-this was only a 400 watt btw-and to my surprise they frosted up like crazy. Idk if that’s from something else I did, or the MH being used. And since I was told to use the MH 'only for veg', I decided to say f*ck it and rolled with it. I have just switched out my HPS with the MH-both 1000 watt this time-and after 3-4(?) days the aroma, resin production, and density actually, all improved dramatically. Now this is the same strain as before NLxBB again from W.O.S, so I'm familiar with how they grow,-or I should say, I'm MORE familiar with it now. So I'm going to begin doing this to my next run with a variety of Indica, Sativa, and crosses to see if it makes a difference like I noticed the last 2 runs with the NLxBB. I plan on getting a journal up with pics to put my money where my mouth is. But thus far I have seen enough to at least continue experimentation. And I will note that I will have controls in place as well to make everything follow the scientific method as closely as possible-clones, from the different strains, etc..

NorthernLite

NorthernLite

The glass blocks the uv light.
From my understanding it only blocks 25% +/- of the UVA spectrum, but all-or nearly all-of the UVB spectrum. So the question is whether we are looking for-or rather are the plants looking for UVA or UVB, or both. I would presume it likes-or can at least handle both since outdoors it receives both. If I recall correctly, some manufacturers make a high-tempered glass that doesn't block out the UVB or UVA-at least the majority of it anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

NorthernLite

NorthernLite

When you say 'reptile lighting' you certainly aren't speaking of the heat lamps right? LOL

NorthernLite

NorthernLite

After reading more, I'd be VERY interested to know from some of the in-house residents if this increase is do to the color spectrum, or UVA mostly, or UVB mostly, or both. Any thoughts???

Top Bottom