How Many Times Can You Top A Plant?

• Thread starter Betico
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Betico

Betico

I was thinking about topping my plant once again, but not sure it it would be beneficial or if it would do more harm than good. Both my plants are a bit over a foot now and I first topped them when they were about 8in tall. Is there such thing as too much topping? What are the benefits of topping more than once and what is the down side of it?

Thanks in advance.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I was thinking about topping my plant once again, but not sure it it would be beneficial or if it would do more harm than good. Both my plants are a bit over a foot now and I first topped them when they were about 8in tall. Is there such thing as too much topping? What are the benefits of topping more than once and what is the down side of it?

Thanks in advance.
You really have to find the proper technique to topping... you can top a plant a million times but the goal is to keep the largest mains as possible in flower.

Betico

Betico

You really have to find the proper technique to topping... you can top a plant a million times but the goal is to keep the largest mains as possible in flower.
I've got two big main ones, would topping each of those on the one plant be doing any damage or hinder yields in any way?

Betico

Betico

Not if you chopped them and let those 2 big mains turn into 4 big mains
I'm sorry by chopping, do you mean taking off a couple of inches off of the two main ones? Or just getting the new nodes coming in on them? I'm still fairly new to this...

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I'm sorry by chopping, do you mean taking off a couple of inches off of the two main ones? Or just getting the new nodes coming in on them? I'm still fairly new to this...
You would top them at a node that you like for height. .. you top right above the node to split each in 2

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Thanks in advance.
I will be trying to top 3-4 times so i have 8-26 Colas.

I would say stop topping 2 weeks before it goes into flower.

Natural

Natural

just to throw another comment in the hat lol
You got a 3x3 tent that's 5 foot tall? It looks like a 4x4. Those must be smaller pots and plants than say 5 gallon..must be 2 or 3 gallon. If it were me..I'd clean up the bottoms a bit and pluck a few of the middle fans..tie those branches down a bit. You've got em pretty bushy and they look nice, but you have more floor space than headroom. Looking a bit indie leaning and not ideal for scrog..but it's an idea you could easily pull off to keep them trained to stay shorter and fill up your space. Or just faux scrog it with tie down and staking. Take all out that isn't the plants and make em sit diagonal to each other

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I have never topped a plant that small, I wait till they get bigger and are growing more vigourously so the topping doesn't slow their growth much.
lol
I didn't top seedlings.

These plants are well past the 8th node. They are abnormally short because I keep my light Very close, minimizing stretch. I never top before the 5th node, personally. And I don't have any problems with slowed growth due to topping.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I am firm believer in well trained plants. Here are an example of a plant trained for yield and the last one trained short. Look into mainlining and light stress training techniques.
Image 2
Image 3
1414387535648 1915259955
20141213 161741 1
20141028 220104

Best of luck.
Peace

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
My topping and low stress training beast @ 44 days old with 20 main branches lying flat. Under 4" tall.
20161229 220933

20161229 220958

If your looking for increased yields.
Then research/experiment with topping and low stress training.

It adds time to veg. But the increased yield of quality tops is worth it.

Top Bottom