How much longer should I wait to re-pot?

• Thread starter Arrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Arrows

This is my first soil run so I'm kinda lost, up until now I've just been doing Hydro.

This is one of my new babies, when should I re-pot it and how big of a pot should I use.

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v280/Desaa/new015.jpg

Thanks guys!
:damnhippie:

B

BayArea

From seed I'll grow in a 1 gallon or smaller pot for at least 4 or 5 weeks before transplanting. These look nice - no streching and green. They look like they could use a little time. 3 more weeks or so - best of luck..........

A

Arrows

From seed I'll grow in a 1 gallon or smaller pot for at least 4 or 5 weeks before transplanting. These look nice - no streching and green. They look like they could use a little time. 3 more weeks or so - best of luck..........

Thank you for the compliments & advice. It's only my third time growing, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
:smiley_joint:

K

KushMaster707

they look nice you could have started them in smaller containers though such as 1/2 gal or solo cups. im just learning this myself that its better to let the root structure colonize a small area so when transplanted they have no shock they're stronger and will grow faster and fill the larger pot with roots thoroughly instead of just becoming root bound. In the end you will have a much healthier plant and better yielding plant because of that strong root system. hope that helps out some

true grit

true grit

Just squeeze the sides of the container to loosen up the soil, get over a bucket or sink or something to catch dirt, protect seedling with fingers, flip over and let plant slide out of container with soil. At that point you can see the root growth and if its already filled the root space or not. If the plant has difficulty coming out, roots probably havent locked up all the soil space yet. This is how I usually check until I get a good idea of where I'm at from visually looking at top growth/to container size. Not sure if others do this, but if you are gentle enough no harm is done, might take some practice.

dequelo

dequelo

I am with you true girt :) pop them out of the soil and look is the because way i have found to check root health

and to know when a re-pot is needed

be safe and be well

Dequelo

true grit

true grit

And if youre a gardening addict like myself (as in checking several times daily-lol), then you will see growth slow and some faint signs of needing more space.

Top Bottom