How much water do I use per plant!!!? 6 by 6 garden

• Thread starter Natearsenault123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natearsenault123

Natearsenault123

Hey everyone I'm new to growing. I've got my plants in 18 inches of good soil then gravel underneath that. I'm being told so many dif answers from people on how much to use. The water is ph'ed from 8.2 down to 6.5 (lemon drops) ...1 gallon per plant/per day? Any advise is appreciated

Natearsenault123

Natearsenault123

Ok ty....seems like that's every day in this heat!!! I originally asked because a seasoned grower told me I def don't have to water daily. He mentioned dry roots are good for growth!???

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Ok ty....seems like that's every day in this heat!!! I originally asked because a seasoned grower told me I def don't have to water daily. He mentioned dry roots are good for growth!???

The top soil will dry very quick in the sun, but deep down there is probably a decent amount of moisture for the roots, so you probably shouldn't have to water everyday. The size of the plant and root system will make a huge difference, also the temperature and relative humidity.

No, dry roots are not good for growth, but sopping wet roots aren't good either because of the lack of oxygen. That is why having a proper dry back is very important with soil, it allows fresh oxygen to get pulled into the soil, but you want to water it again before it gets too dry. They need a balance of water and air.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Roots need both water and oxygen. Wet soil excludes oxygen.

Don't waste the space in a pot with gravel anymore — go with all soil. Gravel, contrary to popular belief, does not help with drainage and supplies no nutrients or water holding capacity.

Natearsenault123

Natearsenault123

Well there in a garden so I'm just gonna keep ph'ing the water at 6.5 ...n keep my fingers crossed! 18 inches of soil then gravel...I was told they'll grow outwards avoiding the gravel?

20210602 124222

Latest posts

Top Bottom