How much water to give small seedlings?

• Thread starter Fly_25
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fly_25

Fly_25

My seedlings keep dying and I'm sure it's over watering but I gave them hardly any water this time. The soil was very light and dry before I gave them water and I gave a shot glass worth of water, and now they are dying again for the 3rd grow. Is a shot glass really too much water? Even the tips are turning black and they aren't growing anymore

How much water to give small seedlings
Kungpow420

Kungpow420

Until it trickles out the bottom of the solo cup. Once it stops trickling out the bottom weigh it that is your saturated weight. Then let it dry to the top 1/4 in of soil. Now weigh it. That is your dry soil weight. Once you get the hang of this you will be able to pick it up and tell when the soil needs watering

Moshmen

Moshmen

Do you have them under lights? How close? What soil are you using ? There’s something going on besides watering

growsince79

growsince79

My seedlings keep dying and I'm sure it's over watering but I gave them hardly any water this time. The soil was very light and dry before I gave them water and I gave a shot glass worth of water, and now they are dying again for the 3rd grow. Is a shot glass really too much water? Even the tips are turning black and they aren't growing anymore
I water until the container is completely saturated; weigh it when it stops dripping.
NEVER WATER A LITTLE BIT.
Wait for the cup to lose 1/3 of its wet weight then water to saturation again.
Usually mine go something like this; water day 0, 4, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14
Transplant when it needs water every day.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

That is the classic look of an overwatered seedling. The roots are no longer drawing in water, likely because they are fighting rot and have no oxygen. Overwatering is usually "watering too often."

Do you have drain holes in that cup? The roots need oxygen or that plant will be dead within a few days.

If that were mine, and it was an important seedling (like from a seed a paid for, etc.) I would transplant it into a more suitable container. While everyone uses or has used solo cups to start plants, they really are not ideal containers for cannabis.

Fly_25

Fly_25

Why not use Solo cups? I have drain holes and I never water until drain, I did the first grow and the same thing happened here so I cut back a lot of the water. I have a ewc, perlite and promix bx mix with my mars hydro ts3000 light. This has happened 3 times now and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong

P

Petrochemical

Supporter

Every person I've ever met in my double-digit years growing that have been really really good at starting out and getting babies out first thing of the Year all grow in soil cubes

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Too much light too

growsince79

growsince79

Why not use Solo cups? I have drain holes and I never water until drain, I did the first grow and the same thing happened here so I cut back a lot of the water. I have a ewc, perlite and promix bx mix with my mars hydro ts3000 light. This has happened 3 times now and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong
You aren't watering right.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Cannabis isn't a houseplant.

Houseplants are tough MFers — they can take watering abuse — improper watering, overwatering, constant wet soil and soils drying out, and still keep going.

Cannabis is an upland plant that likes its root system to get plenty of oxygen. If you sit around staring at seedlings, thinking you can help them out, get that silly thought out of your head. If you do more than water THOROUGHLY when it is dry and then allow several days to dry again before watering, you are damaging the plants.

quirk

quirk

Back in the day when I germinated in solo cups, I would not water until I got within 10 grams of dry weight and keep 10 grams below wet weight. In this case it amounted to
1.5 ounces at a time. Then I wait until the weight goes down, however long that takes. The key is not to water too often, depriving the roots of oxygen. If I hold your head under water for 5 minutes the water doesn't kill you, the lack of oxygen does. Same for the roots, whatever the plants age.

Drain holes
Dry weight
Wet weight
Fly_25

Fly_25

So how much water is too much? I get that I only water when the soil is dry and light, but I wouldn't think a shot glass could kill a seedling

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Weighing? Lol. Too much trivial crap. BX is water retaining. Poor choice for cannabis unless it’s summer in hot dry country.

Buy the HP or better yet Sunshine 4 Advanced. Make the drain holes MUCH larger in the Solo. Be sparing with the water the entire time they’re in the cup.

Fly_25

Fly_25

I have it mixed with perlite with big drain holes. I don't even water it enough for water to come out the bottom anyways, and only water when dry.

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Poke 10-15 holes into the bottom of your solos with a finish nail ......water them until your medium is moist throughout. Slow pour....letting the medium absorb the water not rollitoff .....
Big thing is not letting ur medium get too too dry because it becomes harder to evenly water

Fly_25

Fly_25

I've tried that last time, and same thing happened so that's why I only gave them a few mists in the beginning and a shot glass just recently. Could it be possible it's bad seeds? I've watered in every different way and still the same results

F

FreeTheWeeds

No expert by any means, but going strictly by your photo, it seems like your soil mix needs more earth. Earth is what holds your nutrients and soil bio mass. I would start with the potting soil of your choice and add only 25% perlite.

Don't like solo cups, too small. My seeds go into a 3" pot with holes, with a layer of rinsed 1/4 gravel on the bottom and then filled with my 75/25 mix. Seed is planted point down, 1/3 to 1/2" deep. I put the pot in a bowl and slowly water until water flows out the bottom into the bowl. Maintain the water level in the bowl to 1 inch while under 18/6 lighting, or your choice. All watering is added to the catch bowl, never to the top of the pot. A few days before transplant, I'll let the bowl run dry.

My seeds always pop within two days and by the end of two weeks I'll have my first full set of leaves and that's when I will start feeding nutrients. Around week 4 or so, I'll transplant the plant into its final pot, or out into the garden. I am using bought feminized seeds, but I've had the same luck with the random stray seeds that I've gotten.

One of the reasons that I've been doing it this way is the plant develops a very nice root system reaching down for the water, and when transplanted, I've noticed a much quicker recover of the plant. I believe that this is from having a very stable root system from the get-go and not disturbing it when transplanting.

YMMV. Good luck.

Have a good day.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I have it mixed with perlite with big drain holes. I don't even water it enough for water to come out the bottom anyways, and only water when dry.
When these guys say “overwatered” what they really mean is watering to often - it’s not the amount it’s the frequency

Top Bottom