How much wind is too much wind?

• Thread starter TheCatman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheCatman

So I have a circulatory fan that runs 24/7 that gives the plants a bit of a wiggle. When I had my exhaust fan hanging inside the tent that really shook them so I used 5 ft of duct work and ended up setting the fan on top of the tent. I still get a pretty decent wiggle out of them. The exhaust fan I have come on at night 4 times for 15 minutes each. It's pretty powerful. Also before lights out when I go to bed I open one of the zippers at the top of the flap to create a chimney so that air can still flow through the lower vents up and out. I lose a lot of humidity at night though. I set the thing down to 60 but even with that exhaust just running three or four times throughout the night for 15 minutes each I still wake up to 40 something percent humidity. I'm using the vivosun 6 liter cool mist humidifier. But my question is more about the wind and how much can they tolerate? I've heard it's okay for there to always be a slight wind. Anybody have any good experience with oscillating fans? I have a 4 x 4 grow tent. I'm guessing I would probably have to have one that mounted on the pole. I questioned whether or not the fabric of my tent was strong enough that if I got a piece of plywood if I could mount a wall mount fan to the 10th. Put the plywood on the outside and have somebody hold it as I screw it in. Maybe it's a bad idea to put holes in my tent. Anyways any ideas on wind? How much how little? If you got any recommendations on fans please give description and include a link.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Humidity during the dark period is almost a non factor. Plants barely transpire in the absence of light. VPD is important during the photoperiod as this is when transpiration is active and humidity is important. During lights out a lower humidity and gentler air flow is ideal.

there are a lot of moving parts to this, not just humidity.

see my thread on VPD for more info that I’ll link in the following post.

1 potential concern I see with only venting periodically in a tent is the consumption of co2 will exceed the replenishment rate.

IMO you will be better served adjusting nutrient concentration and working with a lower humidity in you case. Unless you can control the parameters of the room the tent sits in. Also I personally feel your playing with fire using a humidifier inside a tent if it’s a smaller tent.

I’ll just leave it there for now and drop a link to that thread for you in the following post

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Runkle explains in his tiny leaflet some mechanism of how wind influences the 'leaf boundary layer', its gas exchange & even nutrient absorption.
So pockets of largely still-standing air should be avoided, except temporarily in exceptions like foliars.

One thing to add is that the combination of too low rH with high windspeeds can cause stomatas to be less wide open in an attempt of the plant to mitigate its loss of water.

So find the sweetspot, just as much as needed. With more naturally later in flower to prevent water condensation in buds causing the dreaded mold.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Humidity during the dark period is almost a non factor. Plants barely transpire in the absence of light. VPD is important during the photoperiod as this is when transpiration is active and humidity is important. During lights out a lower humidity and gentler air flow is ideal.

there are a lot of moving parts to this, not just humidity.

see my thread on VPD for more info that I’ll link in the following post.

1 potential concern I see with only venting periodically in a tent is the consumption of co2 will exceed the replenishment rate.

IMO you will be better served adjusting nutrient concentration and working with a lower humidity in you case. Unless you can control the parameters of the room the tent sits in. Also I personally feel your playing with fire using a humidifier inside a tent if it’s a smaller tent.

I’ll just leave it there for now and drop a link to that thread for you in the following post
Nice to have ya back ya crazy canuck.

Top Bottom