How Much Yield per Pound: 1) Kif 2) Bud Trim

• Thread starter GanjaGardener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I understand the process, and have seen an 8 bag set-up but have no experience w/ bubble hash making. A guy that makes it wants to go 50/50- his labor/my trim. I'd do it myself, but I simply don't have the time to take on a new project ATM.

I have about 25-30 lbs of dry, cured bud trim and 5 lbs of kif that was collected mostly from what dropped through the dry rack screens. It's predominantly, broken buds, popcorn buds, immature buds from pruning, and sugar leaf trim- 10-20% small fan leaves w/ decent trichs.

I know it's hard to estimate w/o seeing it but what kind of yield- give or take 20% should I expect- full melt, mid-range and 160 microns (cooking?). What's a typical breakdown per lb? Thanks

Reactions: mal
TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

thats really hard to answer. it really depends on teh amount of trichs on the source material. my guess would be 7-14 grams per lb of trim and higher for the kif.

i only used a 3 bag setup with a bro and i was impressed with what we got back.

if you worried about getting scammed just work with buddy and split it once u done and part ways.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Many thanks. Was looking for that ballpark figure. Would it be typical to split it by grade? ie different amts of full melt, mid-range and cooking? (ie 130 microns) They've (the guy and his outfit) have been pretty vague.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

yup split every bag right down the middle.

if he/they get difficult, buy the bags and do it yourself. prolly need more than a cpl bags of ice for all that n it will most likely take all day but it'll alllll be yours.

i used 2-5 gal pails, one with a hole drilled into the bottom of it. put the one with the hole inside of the other, layer the bags in sequential order, fill with half bag of ice and cold water to the top of the first bucket (the bottom one), throw in a cpl handfuls, and i used a hand mixer on low. mix for 5-10 min and let sit, repeat after a 5-10 min break, let it sit again and then pull the second bucket (inside one) out and the water will slowly drain. seperate the bags and you good to go.

funny thing with these bags is there's no directions. its just trial and error or what works best for you. for the amount of time i put in im satisfied with the results. there may be a better way/routine as everyone does things different. i'd be curious to hear how others do it.

also, press the wet hash to get as much moisture out of it and then dry it. somewhere warm with a fan on it, should do. a trick i use to help is when i seperate the bags i set them on paper towels as it helps suck out some of the water.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
thats really hard to answer. it really depends on teh amount of trichs on the source material. my guess would be 7-14 grams per lb of trim and higher for the kif.

That seems way low! I ran some Durban the other day and ended up with 30g of various quality from 9 ounces of starting material (using bags 220, 160, 120, 90, 73, 45, 25).

I generally see a return of at least 10% to 20% when running for smokable hash. You should be seeing at least 20g per pound, of very high quality to high quality (e.g. 100-70 micron range), with another ounce or so (per pound) of lesser quality (160, 120, 45, 25).

That will, of course, depend on the strain- but 10% is definitely on the low side of the scale, for example, 10% for sugar leaf from a lower resin density plant, to +20% for buds and trim.

The way they generally jark you is to give you a few grams of the best stuff, and copious amounts of the mediocre, like his half consists of the 100-70 range, and yours predominately the inferior stash.

Do a pound together, and from there you'll have an idea of a general ballpark for the process

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

yea i was thinking it over and we did it straight from the trimpro, not dry. dry will definitely yield more, not only cause greater amount of product but also dry trichs seperate from the plant material better i've found. however i like the sticky icky ickiness from the fresh trim. dry is good too tho, i like to shave it into joints.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Everyone should read Blaze's tutorial on making bubble hash. Everything he says in there took me about 6 months of experimenting to discover. I was writing up my own tutorial when I found his thread- which subsequently lead me to deleting mine due to redundancy.
** The only two things we did differently was:
Letting it dry in a pyrex rather than on a cardboard surface, and;
Not squeezing the hash in the end to speed up drying time.

Both these end stage methods retain the oils that keep your hash nice and gooey months and months after the extraction
(Not dumping on your suggestion TylerDurdan, just offering one of my own brother)

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

thanks for the tips bro!

i always press it :S

im gona look up that tutorial and give'r a read, thanks for the heads up.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
50% seems kinda high to me. At that rate he should do the processing right then in front of you. Then split the wet bubble. charging 30% seems more fair and what some do.

Depend on the strain, max I get is around a qp per lb, 100 +/_ grams. That is mixed w grades of 70,90,110. I have seen other get 1/2 that or less. Hard to tell unless you ran the strains before.

I would ask questions. See if he uses all the bags, keeps the grades seperate, what does he use for mixing?

Some just combine all the grades (personally I dont care for that). hand mixer is faster but lower grade.

if you have not sampled his work, I would confirm he know how to make high grade bubble. just to give a heads up if you care about quality.

I know you did say you do not have the time, As far as taking on the project, full size washing machine + bags and you are ready to do some serious processing. Between 2 people can knock it out fast. Get some pulleys and rope then you got a way to hold the bags while draining. Otherwise I find that the mixing draining is the time consuming/labor portion of the process. Much easier with a washing machine plus the gentle agitation creates an excellent product. drill hand mixers etc can put alot if plant material into the bubble. high yield but lower quality. So best to check they know what they are doing.

Hope that helps

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Well... the truth is, I already handed it off and I don't like the way the numbers have turned out. Live and learn. I'm going to get a tumbler and press and make it myself next time around. That's just my *personal* preference and not a knock on bubble hash, at all. (different strokes, different tastes etc.), Heated and pressed is what I grew up with and what I relate to.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

But than again... I really don't know enough about bubble hash to be sure about what I'll be doing next time around. I went into this deal unprepared and w/ too much wishful thinking. My mistake. I'm digesting what you guys have laid out and can't thank you enough for opening up this old hippies eyes.

darkmatter

darkmatter

that would be a lot to run twice but im always gonna run my little bit through the bags twice, back to back. i get a more than worth while amount second run.if i had that much id still make a small batches slowly squeeze every last bit out,hash for days.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
I run mine thru three times, have made lots of hash and three is the magic number. The fourth run will still bring hash but it will have alot of plant matter. I used to make hash for people, they would bring me their trimmings etc and I would get all the hash I reasonably could out of the material and we would split the hash 50/50. I'm an honest guy so both parties were happy with this arrangement, ended up giving my old bags to the guy. Any of my buddies that have trimmings just come over and I make their hash and give them 100% of it. Its rather easy after you've made a few batches, I'd be more than happy to help with info. Hope all is well

mal

Blaze

Blaze

A 50/50 split is a pretty standard deal from what I have seen. The return is usually about 10% full melt in my experience, and maybe another 5%-10% of lower quality stuff, for a 15-20% total return. If you process a second time you can increase the return a bit. The more you mix and process the more return you will get but that increased yield is often from contaminants. Depends a lot on the strain and material though - having all that kif in there will up your return for sure.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

You guys got me all jacked up now. Looks like I'm gonna find me some time to make hash. I haven't done all of the figuring on my "50/50" deal-it's still a bit cloudy the way they did it, but I'll discuss accountability when we have a face to face. Not sayin' it will change things but it'll make me feel better better. Best thing about it, is it's a renewable source. I've already got my first grocery bag full and there'll be more coming shortly. I don't always expect or feel like I have to get the best end of the deal every time and I cut myself some slack first time through. Heck, I used to give it away.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Went 3 pgs in and I give up.
Hey Blaze- could you share the link to your tutorial, bro?

Scorpion

Scorpion

with that amount of ready to go mash you will pay for the best bubble bags money can buy ...in the very first wash.
do it yourself and smoke a bowl with your friend...
;)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You guys got me all jacked up now. Looks like I'm gonna find me some time to make hash. I haven't done all of the figuring on my "50/50" deal-it's still a bit cloudy the way they did it, but I'll discuss accountability when we have a face to face. Not sayin' it will change things but it'll make me feel better better. Best thing about it, is it's a renewable source. I've already got my first grocery bag full and there'll be more coming shortly. I don't always expect or feel like I have to get the best end of the deal every time and I cut myself some slack first time through. Heck, I used to give it away.

Damn bro it seems like the guy(s) you made a deal with are really shady, when people are vague about stuff and avoid answering your questions then they are usually up to something that will benefit them. I hope you worked everything out smoothly and you should make it yourself next time, that way you don't have to deal with shady ass people. peace

Landfishd

Landfishd

50/50 is a pretty standard "business" deal if they do it right, and they are fair. Obviously it is best to experiment yourself, if you have the time.

Top Bottom