• Tagged users None
Papa

Papa

Supporter
reprinted from:
houstonpress.com

How Not To Get 35 Years For Pot Possession
By Craig Malisow, Friday, Mar. 5 2010 @

​Smith County (East Texas) judges and juries have long had a reputation of meting out severe, some might say ridiculous, punishment for drug convictions. And Henry Wooten's case is no exception: the 54-year-old Tyler man was sentenced Thursday to 35 years in prison for possessing slightly more than four ounces of pot. Wooten actually got off easy -- the prosecutor asked the jury to give him 99 years. (We just hope TDCJ can free up room for this menace to society; maybe the state can release a child molester or serial arsonist to find a cell for Wooten.)

While the sentence may be asinine, we can't help but feel Wooten brought much of this upon himself -- mostly by choosing to be both a pothead and live in Tyler, when clearly that calls for an either/or scenario. But Wooten could have taken at least a few steps to minimize his chances of being busted so easily, and Hair Balls would like to lay out a few of these so that other lovers of the weed in Smith County can take heed.

1.) Don't smoke weed within 1,000 feet of a day care: According to the Tyler Morning Telegraph, "Tyler police officers were alerted to Wooten's location because of the smell of the marijuana."

Wooten was puffing near the Ebenezer Day Care Center, in what is known as a "drug-free zone." People in Smith County don't like that. So if you're driving along and you get a sudden urge to light up, take note of your surroundings: if you see lots of parents walking children into a building and then leaving without those children, you might be parked near a school or a day care. Do not, under any circumstances, pack your bowl there. Just go to the nearest liquor store, and you can bet you'll be outside a drug-free zone. Enjoy!
2.) Don't let people see you pull a bunch of baggies out of your pocket: Per the same article, Smith County Assistant District Attorney Richard Vance told the jury "Wooten pulled bag after bag from his pockets like one of those clowns you see..." (see Rule No. 3 for the rest of Vance's quote)

3.) Don't leave gear in plain sight in your care: "...and in the driver's seat of his car was a big bag and digital scales."

4.) Don't demand that a private lab test your weed: Although Wooten was perfectly within his rights when he asked a local lab to analyze his weed, we're guessing he probably annoyed the judge and the prosecutor, and in turn the jury, by this petulant ploy. It's pretty hard to mistake weed for anything other than weed. Did Wooten think the lab might screw up and report that the sticky green matter in the baggies was in fact spaghetti? Seriously, how fucking high was this guy?

We're not saying these are get-out-of-jail-free cards, but they're generally good rules of thumb. If you live in Tyler and you smoke weed, you might want to print this out and keep it in your pocket for future reference.

(Oh, and don't have two prior convictions on your record. Or, if you do, don't go doing what this guy did.)

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
The best way to avoid 35 years for herb possesion is to get the fuck out of texas. This isnt a random harsh sentence They do shit like this on a daily basis.

F

fink

Wow - couldnt be much worst if you lived under a fascist dictatorship!

W

wantaknow

well if you google legalize mj in ok ,you will see that the sen in there state is a complete ass hat ,and is good reading for everyone

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
I have family there I have heard many stories about kids getting there lives ruined for petty shit they employ so many people in the prison system its all about money kinda like selling your people into slavery so the good god fearing people can have jobs. Three years ago I got a speeding ticket in ok for 2 mph over the limit and the pig told me 0 tollerance boy slow down lmfao.

S

SRHninja

i dont understand what ok has to do with Tx??? lol you guys are either off subject or im missing something.. let me know!

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

i dont understand what ok has to do with Tx??? lol you guys are either off subject or im missing something.. let me know!

LOL!

part of me gives props to those texas growers taking big risks.. The other part of me is wondering why the hell would anyone risk so much for weed.. shit.

Fuck texas and everyone affiliated with that backwards, right wing, republican conservative, bible carrying, gun toting state..

B

Bubby

omg texans really dont eff around do they?! shoot an illegal, execute a retard, give a man a life sentance for possession. Scary situation indeed.

J

jackbgrower

LOL!

part of me gives props to those texas growers taking big risks.. The other part of me is wondering why the hell would anyone risk so much for weed.. shit.

Fuck texas and everyone affiliated with that backwards, right wing, republican conservative, bible carrying, gun toting state..

Well fuck you too!

J

Joes fish store

Guns, republican,bible carrying, have nothing to do with it. THE POLICE are the real issue. In Florida its the same they will screw you for anything. They wait outside pharmacies and try to convince you to turn in your pain doc by offering him cash.
My doc is the only person who gives a shi%. They should give all police lie detector tests and that would solve everything. They will see how full of s%it ALL cops are. Even if there are some good cops the problem is that the good cops will never turn in the BAD ones and that makes all of them worthless.

J

justwannablaze

I have family there I have heard many stories about kids getting there lives ruined for petty shit they employ so many people in the prison system its all about money kinda like selling your people into slavery so the good god fearing people can have jobs. Three years ago I got a speeding ticket in ok for 2 mph over the limit and the pig told me 0 tollerance boy slow down lmfao.

hahahaha Shit man.. I was doing 115 in a 75... he let me off with a warning xD I got lucky as shit.. haha:evilgrin0040:

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Fuck the anti-weed laws in general. TX & OK are just examples.

I did get pinched in OK for "possesion of a controlled deadly substance". That was the 3 grams of weed that I had. Also hit me with interstate transportation of a CDS, and possession of paraphernalia. Bail was 10k, took my car, and into the county. Zero tolerance there. Only way I got the car back was the fact I owed the bank more on it than it was worth. What a fiasco, for less than an eighth. I met people there who told me stories of whole houses being confiscated for as little as a roach. Funny laws, coming from a state that has one of the largest native American populations out there. As you can see yet again, evil law makers and politicians rule, even in a state full of people who have lived through a history of getting the shaft from this country's politics.

I think that the point that Papa has made here, is to be a smarter person. If you take risks, you should know the rules, and use them to play the better odds anytime you have the ability. It only makes sense. Be safe out there boys and girls.

-TF

Latest posts

Top Bottom