How often can I feed molasses?

• Thread starter Sledsons
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sledsons

Sledsons

I am using 2 tablespoons per gallon and I've done one feeding. Can I do this every other day, once a week, etc? Heavier solution or is 2 tablespoons enough?

How often can i feed molasses
Homesteader

Homesteader

I would do it once in a blue moon. Molasses is very high in potassium. It really depends on your soil to start but if you put too much K, you can lock out Mag, boron, N, Calcium and phosphate. You wont do it with one feeding, but over time you can.

Sledsons

Sledsons

I would do it once in a blue moon. Molasses is very high in potassium. It really depends on your soil to start but if you put too much K, you can lock out Mag, boron, N, Calcium and phosphate. You wont do it with one feeding, but over time you can.
Interesting.. well I am closing out this grow so can I pump the sugars up even more since I am at the end? I'm at about day 61 and I was thinking about pushing the molasses but if it's going to hurt even this late into flower I will take it easy

Sledsons

Sledsons

Probably would be fine but just be aware. If you see any issues just stop feeding it. I prefer crunch berries myself.
Thanks man, good to keep in mind for sure! Since I am at the end I might go for a sugar bump and get those microbes going.

mashy

mashy

Hey, I'm new to growing cannabis but have used molasses in other organic gardening for fruit and veg for years. I'm currently using it regularly on my first cannabis grow and it seems to be doing the job. From past experience I get great results with regular but small amounts of molasses when combined with fortnightly feeds of worm juice. My experience is that the small but regular addition of the sugars keeps the soil microbes buzzing along.
I currently put molasses with every feed at 1ml per litre which I think is a pretty low dose. Thinking about going it towards the end of bloom. My caveats are that I grow outdoors and I flush my pots with rainwater every week.

Rizla420

Rizla420

I am using 2 tablespoons per gallon and I've done one feeding. Can I do this every other day, once a week, etc? Heavier solution or is 2 tablespoons enough?
You need agave syrup this contains no minerals or trave elements BUT does contain those precious carbs you need for more sugars add about 1 tablespoon per 10 litres add this once per week also go check out my grow journal that I've just started long time grower first time poster and I want to meet my community feel free to add your thoughts on my grow too thanks and happy 420

Rizla420

Rizla420

You need agave syrup this contains no minerals or trave elements BUT does contain those precious carbs you need for more sugars add about 1 tablespoon per 10 litres add this once per week also go check out my grow journal that I've just started long time grower first time poster and I want to meet my community feel free to add your thoughts on my grow too thanks and happy 420
Agave syrup for the win !I do add mollases too but not on the last 2 weeks only use agave syrup it adds only the good stuff and no extra nutes just carbs

IMG 20210224 015733
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

do not over do it with molasses right now man, your plants look great a big ass microbial bloom in your soil is not really needed at this time those sugars do not just suck up into the plants its in the soil first. To be honest your in the homestretch, and should be thinking about pure water and a good flush..
Feeling excitable? Find the matching fruit juice to the terp profile of your plants and buy a few tubes of the frozen extract and water on diluted 12-20 hours before cutting....

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Using that much undigested/fermented molases has got to be silliest thing ever unless you are outdoors and growing giant pumpkins in the ground. Theres more than enough microlife to feast on 2 tbsp a gallon. Indoors 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon. Just an opinion....going overboard has done a growers ph in many times watchout...lol

Sledsons

Sledsons

Using that much undigested/fermented molases has got to be silliest thing ever unless you are outdoors and growing giant pumpkins in the ground. Theres more than enough microlife to feast on 2 tbsp a gallon. Indoors 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon. Just an opinion....going overboard has done a growers ph in many times watchout...lol
YIKES!!!! Never again - I should have posted about it first - I am at the end so hopefully, everything will be all good!! Second grow so I didn't know any better - the reddit thread microgrowery is full of BS!

Sledsons

Sledsons

do not over do it with molasses right now man, your plants look great a big ass microbial bloom in your soil is not really needed at this time those sugars do not just suck up into the plants its in the soil first. To be honest your in the homestretch, and should be thinking about pure water and a good flush..
Feeling excitable? Find the matching fruit juice to the terp profile of your plants and buy a few tubes of the frozen extract and water on diluted 12-20 hours before cutting....
Yeah I am taking it easy now - wish I posted on here first - I am growing Durban Dream so blueberries would be the fruit of choice - Can you explain a bit more with the frozen extracts? I use lemon to ph down my water and it works well - Do you think that promotes a certain taste in the buds? I am a noob btw.. haha clearly

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Molasses like most sugar can not be up taken by the plant. And giving microbes an alternate food source takes them away from the plant so they can eat the free food.

Also its a complex food so unlikely for it to break down and add any nutrients to the medium during the grow. The nutrients listed are from the fda and refer to availability for human consumption.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Molasses like most sugar can not be up taken by the plant. And giving microbes an alternate food source takes them away from the plant so they can eat the free food.

Also its a complex food so unlikely for it to break down and add any nutrients to the medium during the grow. The nutrients listed are from the fda and refer to availability for human consumption.

Mollasses is only about half sugar though. There are lot of minerals and micronutrients in it that I believe are available fairly quickly because it is plant based. Calcium, magnesium, sulfur and potassium in particular.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Mollasses is only about half sugar though. There are lot of minerals and micronutrients in it that I believe are available fairly quickly because it is plant based. Calcium, magnesium, sulfur and potassium in particular.

Unlikely. The bacteria population explosion caused by adding the molasses will consume most all of it. Then die back off never even noticing the plant.

Info also available from linda chalker scotts page at wsu in her compost myths section. Much university studying has been done.

Organic or inorganic the plant only thrives on readily available nutrients. Feeding microbes with outside sources only delays the plants symbiotic feeding with the remaining microbes.

Homesteader

Homesteader

You could be right about the plant availability of it or how long it takes for dead microbes to be consumable by plants but to me it is irrelevant because the accumulation in the soil is what is going to disturb the balance. All of that dead microbe waste and inorganics that they don't consume will accumulate in soil but it all depends how balanced your soil was at the beginning.
I am not sure feeding microbes sugar is going to hurt anything though if its from time to time but I also doubt there would be benefit to doing it often other than screw with your pH

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

the dead bacteria get eaten by the higher ups on the food chain correct? Like nematodeas and protozoa?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

the dead bacteria get eaten by the higher ups on the food chain correct? Like nematodeas and protozoa?
Dont the dead bacteria become part of the sludge fraction created by them?

Ever have a rootknot nematode issue? Mustard meal!

Last edited:
Top Bottom