How should I layout soil in 5 gallon

• Thread starter Ruki3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ruki3

Ruki3

So I’ve been growing a couple plants and I’m using the Happy frog and the ocean forest soil. In the little peat moss pots, for the seedlings, I mixed both soils in a 3:1 ratio. (3) happy frog and (1) ocean forest. It worked well with my seedlings but now I think it’s about time to transfer over to a bigger (5 gallon) pot. Now my question is how should I go about laying out the soil for the 5 gallon pots? Should I put the ocean forest (unmixed) at the bottom of the pot (for extra nutrients when the roots reach that far), then fill the rest with a 50/50 mix? Should I just do a 50/50 mix and just leave it at that? Or is there any other suggestions? Thanks!

Farmer88

Farmer88

So I’ve been growing a couple plants and I’m using the Happy frog and the ocean forest soil. In the little peat moss pots, for the seedlings, I mixed both soils in a 3:1 ratio. (3) happy frog and (1) ocean forest. It worked well with my seedlings but now I think it’s about time to transfer over to a bigger (5 gallon) pot. Now my question is how should I go about laying out the soil for the 5 gallon pots? Should I put the ocean forest (unmixed) at the bottom of the pot (for extra nutrients when the roots reach that far), then fill the rest with a 50/50 mix? Should I just do a 50/50 mix and just leave it at that? Or is there any other suggestions? Thanks!

Mix it all. Put it in the pot. Root will hit the bottom faster than you think.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No mix thoroughly and fill the pots to the top imo. Layering just add a whole nother set of variables to create problems. In nature it's for a reason. Clay will keep moisture above but are your pots 100 meters deep?

Ruki3

Ruki3

No mix thoroughly and fill the pots to the top imo. Layering just add a whole nother set of variables to create problems. In nature it's for a reason. Clay will keep moisture above but are your pots 100 meters deep?
So are you saying I should mix both throughly 50/50?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The roots of a plant will fill the bottom of a pot before the top, so this whole idea of putting the stronger soil mix in the bottom is just more bro science that doesn't make any sense in reality.

I know it's hard to know what is accurate info when you are new because of all the bullshit that gets spread thru the cannabis cultivation industry, try to cross reference anything you here with real agricultural experience.

Ruki3

Ruki3

The roots of a plant will fill the bottom of a pot before the top, so this whole idea of putting the stronger soil mix in the bottom is just more bro science that doesn't make any sense in reality.

I know it's hard to know what is accurate info when you are new because of all the bullshit that gets spread thru the cannabis cultivation industry, try to cross reference anything you here with real agricultural experience.
Thanks for that info so you think I should just do the 50/50 mix? Also should I mix in perlite if so how much?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Exactly and to add nutrients are only taken up when soluable... not sure i want only nutrients at the bottom where they don't contribute much to the rest of the media and more prone to being washed out.... thats why many top dress imo and that works fine. But media should be mixed thoroughly... nutrients can be top dressed.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Exactly and to add nutrients are only taken up when soluable... not sure i want only nutrients at the bottom where they don't contribute much to the rest of the media and more prone to being washed out.... thats why many top dress imo and that works fine. But media should be mixed thoroughly... nutrients can be top dressed.

Yeap, a couple waterings later and the super soil at the bottom of a pot aint super no more lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom