How soon after repairing a break can I start LST again?

• Thread starter AdelDb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AdelDb

AdelDb

Hi all. I've done a bit of searching on this question but haven't found any threads on the subject. I'm on my third grow ever (in soil using LEDs in a 2' x 4' tent) and I've just had my first branch break.

I'm 4 weeks into vegging a cutting of a locally bred hybrid and it seems happy enough so far. It came to me as three main branches coming off a stem quite close together, so I'm training them out horizontally in all directions to hopefully get a short, multi-topped bush out of them. Last week a wooden dowel fell on the plant and caused a partial break in one of the main branches - it wasn't fully detached but was hanging loose. I immediately removed the training straps pulling it down and taped it up. Unfortunately, the break is in an awkward spot crowded with a lot of other growth, so it's been taped to hold the break closed, but the branch isn't bandaged as such with tape around the break. I also added a training band from above to hold it up. It's been five days now and the leaves on the broken branch don't seem to have been affected at all so far so I'm still hopeful it will recover and retain the branch.

My question is: how long should I leave it before I resume training the broken branch downwards? I've stopped pulling down the other branches so they're all still fairly similar heights. I'm not in any hurry and I plan to let them grow free for a couple of weeks before I get to training them again, but I'm curious if there's a generally accepted timescale for recovery from branch-breaks.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

breaks heal in about ten days for me, but its dependent on how well it was bandaged and if there was air trapped or not. If the branch looks good after 7-10 days you can pull the tape and check, if its still weak tape it up and wait a bit longer.

quirk

quirk

I put too much pressure bending the apical meristem on this auto and it was 13 days before I felt comfortable torqueing
it back down and even then went up two nodes and kept it below 80 degrees.

DSCN3307 3
DSCN3309 2
IMG 20200418 200618152
IMG 20200424 154211124
AdelDb

AdelDb

Thanks for yr replies. It looks like she's recovering well and her growth is picking up after a transplant & trim (& the break of course). It's been 8 days & I'll give it another week & then see if she's fit for some LST.

Latest posts

Top Bottom