How soon after the last watering should the plants be chopped?

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I will be harvesting soon so I have been thinking about what might indicate the best time to chop. I am assuming that if the plants are relatively dry when chopped, there would be less risk of mold and the drying period would be shorter.

It seems to me it would be better to wait till the plants are a few days past what would have been the next scheduled watering day. For example, I have been watering every four days, so would it be better to wait six or so days after the last watering? I have noticed that I can almost tell when to water by watching the humidity level inside the tent. So, I assume that the plant must be drying gradually while it is still growing, as indicated by the reduced transpiration.

Soil moisture readings might be another indicator. I have been using a moisture meter throughout this grow to help me know when to water. So, perhaps another useful indicator might be when the soil moisture drops to the bottom of the scale.

Then there is wilting of the leaves. In addition to the meter, I also watch the plants for wilt to know when to water. Perhaps that might be a useful indicator, as well.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

there really isnt a right or wrong answer , everyone is different

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I would just chop it when it's ready, rather than put it into moisture stress first. What would you save in drying time? I couple of hours?
Agreed. Even if you stop watering your plant will pull whatever remaining ions are in the media.

I see no real benefit and I used to think the same thing and tried it but I didn't notice any reduction in dry time.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

So many ways to skin a cat they say.
Same applies here, i know people who water the day before harvest, day of harvest, not at all before harvest, ive even seen people just turn the lights out and not even chop them down.

I just chop them when they are done and hang em up to dry.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

No science but I water as normal right up until chop even same day ? If there ur extra water content in the plant it will take longer to dry which is better for quality purposes
I agree. The tests I did with letting them dry in root vs. watered on day of harvest yielded a better tasting, IMO, but equally potent flower as the dry in root flower. Flower took the same time to dry so I didn't see any real advantage.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I don't know if this would be true of indoor plants, but in my outdoor guerilla days, I noticed that plants that were more difficult to water and tend (due to distance from my home) were always harsher than the ones I watered more regularly. Of course, they went through moisture stress more often than once.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking ahead to harvest, which will be soon. Today is day 58 of flower.

Avoidance of mold was my main concern. I didn't consider the quality of the smoke. A longer drying time doesn't matter to me, except I don't have much space for drying right now.

N

napakayaker

I will harvest at first light outdoors but indoors is optimal for total darkness for 72 hrs. According to The University of Holland, the only study I found, harvesting after 72 hrs of darkness will increase the levels by 15%
That being said, if your plants are at 15%, the increase will be to 18%. If you are at 20%, the increase will be to 24%.

7munkee

7munkee

I chop mine whenever I have enough time. I don't do the 2 days of darkness thing but I do 2 days of lights on at the end so there isn't as much water in the plant. Tip from Bruce Bugsby.

But I do try to wait at least 2 days after last water to chop.

Top Bottom