How Soon Can I Spray Plants After Pollen Drop?

• Thread starter Oregonak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oregonak

Oregonak

Hellos and hopes that you are well. I am venturing into pollen chucking and am wondering how soon i can spray the plants down with water after i drop pollen on them.

I've read a few different threads on the subject that had suggestions ranging from an hour to a few days.

How long have you waited and did all go as planned? Was a short wait time, of no more than 1-2 hours, enough to provide a good rate of pollination? Does a short wait vs long mean the difference between a light or heavy pollination rate? Or are longer wait times required? How long?

I am hoping that i can move plants to the "love shack", drop pollen, let them rest for a few hours and then spray heavily with water to deactivate stray pollen before returning to the tent.

I'm going to try and use multiple males without cross pollinating anything. Using one male would be much easier but im running late. Just caught the seed making bug and theres so many i want to make:)

If anyone has any tips on using multiple males per seed crop while avoiding cross pollination, id like to hear them.

Thanks for any input i look forward to hearing your thoughts on the subject.

Love

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I think as soon as the pollen touches a pistil the plant is fertilized and can be sprayed right after. @Seamaiden may know if I am correct or not, or I could just google it or lmgtfy...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not an expert on this, but I have fucked up a breeding run by trying to pollinate on a misty morning. If it were me, I'd wait 24hrs to be safe. But honestly, I'd search out what the other breeders here are doing.

A

A.Sherman

I think the pistils job is to pull the pollen grain back into the calyx so the fertilization can occur, thats in effect whats happening when the pistil dies back. In my experience its 12-24 hours minimum. 2 days for best results.

Oregonak

Oregonak

Well thanks drmcskunkins, seamaiden and a.sherman. I have come across the info online but couldnt remember where. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I did some digging and came up with a couple tid bits.
Heres a good link for marijuana botany.

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...bDAX#v=onepage&q=cannabis pollen tube&f=false

Found some other studies but couldnt get the link to copy. Kinda neat. Previously, among other factors, i had thought of a plants vigour, tenacity and ability to handle enviromental stress to be how they compete for the right to breed. Turns out it goes even deeper than that. Those grains of pollen are in a race to the ovary. Multiple grains land on each stigma and the grain with the healthiest, fastest growing pollen tube wins.
Anyow, i have multiples of a few cuts to pollinate. If i am able at that time i will do a short wait and a long wait before spraying to try and see if a makes a noticeable difference.

Hope everybody's having a great day. Good to be breathing:)

Love

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Well thanks drmcskunkins, seamaiden and a.sherman. I have come across the info online but couldnt remember where. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I did some digging and came up with a couple tid bits.
Heres a good link for marijuana botany.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AoDtg_pSacwC&pg=PT40&lpg=PT40&dq=cannabis+pollen+tube&source=bl&ots=mB26Fk39Am&sig=ZKsOs6pQtjeRpn8QzOUawX50eLc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp8oaDxbLQAhXmrVQKHRq1AzkQ6AEIbDAX#v=onepage&q=cannabis pollen tube&f=false

Found some other studies but couldnt get the link to copy. Kinda neat. Previously, among other factors, i had thought of a plants vigour, tenacity and ability to handle enviromental stress to be how they compete for the right to breed. Turns out it goes even deeper than that. Those grains of pollen are in a race to the ovary. Multiple grains land on each stigma and the grain with the healthiest, fastest growing pollen tube wins.
Anyow, i have multiples of a few cuts to pollinate. If i am able at that time i will do a short wait and a long wait before spraying to try and see if a makes a noticeable difference.

Hope everybody's having a great day. Good to be breathing:)

Love

A small craft type paint brush flicked onto the buds you want to pollinate works good if you only want to pollinate certain buds.

Oregonak

Oregonak

A small craft type paint brush flicked onto the buds you want to pollinate works good if you only want to pollinate certain buds.

I geek out on stuff a little more than that:) thanks for the idea though.

Pollen storage method was:

Flowers collected and dried in tupperware filled with descant, when bone dry flowers were broken with fingers through a food prep type stainless screen to remove big chunks then sifted through a very fine grade ss screen to get anything else out. I wieghed out .5 gram portions and sealed them in doubled up paper envelopes. Three packets to a sealable plastic container which is also packed with desicant, three containers of each male.

I used q tips to wipe up all remaining pollen from the plate i work over. I cut the q tips short enough to fit in a small zip lock bag.

All containers are tripple sealed in plastic with the first two bags containing desicant.

I used some of the q tips after they had been stored for a little over a month.

I positioned the plant, removed a q tip from the re acclimated zip lock, tapped it with my finger over the top of the flowers and got just a little personal but not overly invasive. It worked well and i will definitely be using the q tip method in the future. I like it because if feels slightly contained and only a small amount of pollen could potentiality escape at a time. Very user friendly.

Love

Oregonak

Oregonak

I geek out on stuff a little more than that:) thanks for the idea though.

Pollen storage method was:

Flowers collected and dried in tupperware filled with descant, when bone dry flowers were broken with fingers through a food prep type stainless screen to remove big chunks then sifted through a very fine grade ss screen to get anything else out. I wieghed out .5 gram portions and sealed them in doubled up paper envelopes. Three packets to a sealable plastic container which is also packed with desicant, three containers of each male.

I used q tips to wipe up all remaining pollen from the plate i work over. I cut the q tips short enough to fit in a small zip lock bag.

All containers are tripple sealed in plastic with the first two bags containing desicant.

I used some of the q tips after they had been stored for a little over a month.

I positioned the plant, removed a q tip from the re acclimated zip lock, tapped it with my finger over the top of the flowers and got just a little personal but not overly invasive. It worked well and i will definitely be using the q tip method in the future. I like it because if feels slightly contained and only a small amount of pollen could potentiality escape at a time. Very user friendly.

Love

Given my level of experience, the response should have been, "thanks for the suggestion, i'll give that a try". No disrespect meant, i will try the brush. Probably achive better accuracy with the brush vs a q tip.

Love

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I have very little experience with pollination but I just think it works better if the pollen is airborne vs wiping it on buds.

lino

lino

I teach students how to build pollination applicators in a Online class, My applicators will be online and they eliminate cross pollination and resolve your pollen storage issue. To date I have never seen them used in Cannabis pollination. Colleges and labs instruct sterile pollen applicators,- so I' confused as to why cannabis growers have never adopted them since they're made for free and several can be purchased for under $5.
Water, well there are some badd Azz here so I'll let those kids explain...
I'll get deleted or banned if I say more, sorry...

lino

lino

I was about to throw down, UNSEEN in the canna world, GROW tricks and tips but my thread is gone,,,, My pollen applicators were going on exhibit ,,,, and they took down the Seed 2 Seed Lino's 35 day Wonder Plants thread in the breeder section just now or I lost it.... Anyway, I try to take canna growers out of the 1950s. I just busted out some WAY COOL PH control, mHz stomata control ,,groBot are killN it guys, but they wont let you guys at the data,, but I tried And do I got online etiquette or what,,, I just got banned from RollitUp....

lino

lino

Those grains of pollen are in a race to the ovary.
I'll throw down some facts that'll get the professors panties all bunched up.... Ask em why sperm and pollen and the like.- all RACE to the ovary in animals and plants and on and on... But one organism has sperm that is different, Guess which species has sperm that will kill other sperm from another male, not monkeys, not all primates, ONLY Humans have sperm that will kill sperm from another man, ask ol Professor why>? ,, I'll kick it, feet propped on the desk , open a bag of pop corn and watch the fur fly lmao. These debates go to arguments in a NY second... The google fingers will go nuts as the kids go to war in a debates over this... The ol blk pigeon in the Wht pigeon pigeon nest blo's everyones argument,,, messes all there minds up,,, Teach says,,, Thats enough Lino....

Oregonak

Oregonak

Hi lino. Not sure what you're beating around the bush about. Im no badd AZZ or pro. Im a medical hobby grower at best.

I sometimes have some mental health issues. Have since as far back as i can remember. Like age seven or eight. Growing these plants and being a member of this site helps me stay positive and keep my head on straight when symptoms flare up. It happens. I know many other people here experience similar issues and cope in similar ways. I am not ashamed of who i am and sometimes i make mistakes. I hear it happens to the best too.

I dont try to hide my health issues because that can make them worse. I always tell people before relationships become very established of my status because i know that not everyone has the energy or the understanding required to have someone like me in there life. I can be needy and insecure and very intense when cycling and ive made that clear to every person i become friends with. It can be overwhelming. I dont wish to be a negative influence in anyones life...just one of my lifetime aspirations. If i rub someone the wrong way all they have to do is say so...end of story. And i make that part clear as well. Thanks for trying to help me be aware. Be well

Love

lino

lino

None of the wizards answered some of your question so I'll throw down some science ...

An experience; A large tent grow. We had an ankle biter that I noticed had balls. I got distracted and didnt chop at that moment and the ankle bitter was by a fan. The next morning some sacks had opened. I chopped and watered. I had no embryo abortion chems on hand. The crop was seeded.

Water & Pollen homies, most of this stuff on the Net is outdated and no accurate on cannabis breeding again;
Cannabis plant pollen show different degrees of aquaticism and they determine the mode of dispersal of their spores and pollen grains. In truly aquatic plants, the exosporium is simple and thin-walled. The spores or pollen grains in them are short-lived and germinate quickly. They are dependent on water for dispersal. On the other hand, in semi-aquatic or facultatively aquatic plants, the pollen grains and spores have a thick exosporium. Their dispersal is either by insects or wind. Some of the water plants seem to have become secondarily adapted to an aquatic habitat. Their transition was from animophily to entomophily or from entomophily to partial hydrophily. Many cannabis spore types seem to have developed special adaptations for such transitions. Think about sativas, rainForest, Giant Redwoods are dripping wet where SOME cannabis cultivars thive.
I feel so old now , Oh how I have become outdated, I teach this to my 12 yr old disciples in Online courses.

However monocotyledons, monocot, spores do better in water than most dicots like hemp/cannabis. My disciples come back from skool with skill and tell me that I was not quite accurate as they have access to high power scopes and DNA labs I couldnt afford until just recently with my new LinoTron. They say that SOME Cannabis pollen grains are bigger than I thought.most of the Online info we read about cannabis breeding is not accurate.
The pollen grains are oblate spheroidal; the amb rounded triangular to circular with 2-4 pores. The sexine is thin and granular and somewhat thickened at the pores. Grains that I thought to be typically 23-28 micrometers can almost double that size. This is game changer in aquaticism and cannabis can determine the mode of dispersal of their spores and pollen grains in water and cuz of cannabis hydrophily. in simple term hydrophily is very dependant on fat, fat floats, Cannabis fat is very phenotypic from grower to grower, strain to strain;

So to sum up and answer your question, IMO, the water and pollen question. Water is not a tool to force a plant to abort embryo's or to practice safe sex either.

Pollen breeding, by lotto tickets you got better odds. Dont get me wrong if you cross Super Sour x Super Good Bud you prob get some good smoke, but to be able to predict your plant genotypes are not good,
color
sex
zygosity
Lots of trial and error LUCK until you get it right with pollen. But now kids are coming back from HS, not college with some beginner skills in DNA breeding, spot on, not 1 in a million. The DNA home gel kits are almost home worthy for the ppl w/o PHDs, a LinoTron simplifies this process and we'll have full control of are genes, if we want Super Sour taste in our new strain and the color to be pink and blk, we will have full control with the LinoTron, and we'll knock out the mildew gene while were at it. Pollen vs controlled breeding, the technology is here now we'll harness it, Pollen will become outdated, like a typewriter. The LinoTron will give full control over electophoresis DNA gel slabs for peeps w/o a PHD, heavy reading required tho but if your a Pro breeder you'll need these tools and skills.

pseudonym Nicolas, pollination bees, IMO i think their pulling our legs, they aint trained cannabis honey hunters, something else going on here.
Bee

Last edited:
Jermamma420

Jermamma420

I teach students how to build pollination applicators in a Online class, My applicators will be online and they eliminate cross pollination and resolve your pollen storage issue. To date I have never seen them used in Cannabis pollination. Colleges and labs instruct sterile pollen applicators,- so I' confused as to why cannabis growers have never adopted them since they're made for free and several can be purchased for under $5.
Water, well there are some badd Azz here so I'll let those kids explain...
I'll get deleted or banned if I say more, sorry...

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

What is this pollen applicator you speak of? LOL
I still haven't found anything better than a brush, or Q tip. I would love to know.
I have thought about useing Powder spray bottles, but too wasteful, and def not contained.

Top Bottom