How to calculate ppm's required when well water is being used???

• Thread starter Wrangler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Wrangler

My water is "softened" and is reading 320ppm's from the faucet. Does that mean that I MUST use a reverse osmosis to clean up the ppm's First OR can I use nutes with an adjustment?? So, if normal ppm's are 400, then, mine would be 720?? Thanks.

C

Chris1

320 is pretty high man...if you are going to invest a grand into a UC, just get an RO system

Or get a water test to see what all is in your water % wise. Then you'll really know if you need to use ro...

R

RMCG

Is it straight well water or does it go through a softener too?

Well water is one thing, water softener is another. Cal/Mag is removed and sodium is put in its place.

If you have a softener, any way to 'tap in' in front of it?

R

RMCG

whats the dealio with well water? 200 ppm well water? can we run that or would that need to go thru a RO? Does well water require CalMag generally?
I know I could have it test but whats the general rule with well water?

I think it really depends on your locale.

Back east I was on well water and it was great! Plenty of micros (Iron, Cal, Mag, etc.)

This side of the Mississippi, its a crap shoot the farther west you go.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Well water here in MI is normally high in cal, mag, and iron (both ferric and ferrous) plus traces of others. Normally reeks of sulphur. My well water after a 20 mic sediment filter is in the 650 ppm range with hardness in the mid 20's. It comes out clear but a 5 gal left to sit over night turns a tint of yellow-gold with visable sediment at the bottom. The high(er) levels of those elements are in theory good for the plants given they are in a form that allows for plant uptake. Using an RO let's you start with a clean slate giving you more control over your growing medium. Soft water has high levels of sodium and potassium even if the more expensive potassium chloride is used instead of the traditional sodium chloride.

Some communities have outlawed water softeners bc of the brine discharge polluting sewage water leading to increased waste water treatment costs.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I decided after much reading and encouragement from the guys here to get an RO system for my Under Current. My well water is 390ppm and the Canna Aqua should be run at 1/2 recommended so that would only leave me room for zero food at veg and 2 to 300ppm for Flower for a total of 690ppm. I'm new at this but I love learning and reading, I would recommend you get an RO system. They do wast water at a rate of anywhere from 2 to 4gal for every 1 gal of RO water. RO work best at 60 to 80psi so if your down around 35 to 50 get a booster pump for it. I got a dual DI filters and they made all the difference in the world for my water. I have a bypass on my softener for my plants and lawn.

:character0029:

CamelToeJoe

CamelToeJoe

I was always batteling someting with my tap water. i switched to RO along with Dyna-Gro and things have been great. My tap water was 250.

Murfburger

Murfburger

My well water comes out zt 610 ppm, this should be pretty near acceptable right?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
600-700 is what I use for veg so theoretically, if it has the right amounts of nutrients, you could save on nutes during veg but that's very unlikely. Either way, 600 is too much for early veg.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ahh probably not seems pretty high! Do ya know what’s in it? @Aqua Man ever seen well water that high ?
Yup.

OP you cannot use softened water. It exchanges calcium and other .intervals with sodium and at those levels will kill your plants.

2 options are:

1. find the water source before the soften and test it. Possibly ok to use.

2. Use a reverse osmosis system either before or after the softener and I would suggest before.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Yup.

OP you cannot use softened water. It exchanges calcium and other .intervals with sodium and at those levels will kill your plants.

2 options are:

1. find the water source before the soften and test it. Possibly ok to use.

2. Use a reverse osmosis system either before or after the softener and I would suggest before.
Thanx makes sense most of the ppm will be sodium bad very bad

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

I use well water and a inline hose filter and it drops by 150PPM. From 200 to 70 usually. really depends on what kinda system your running, i know plenty of outdoor growers that do not even test their water. Hydro or coco that can be make or break for your plants. I have seen water used as high as 400PPM of unknown in large outdoor organic systems.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use well water and a inline hose filter and it drops by 150PPM. From 200 to 70 usually. really depends on what kinda system your running, i know plenty of outdoor growers that do not even test their water. Hydro or coco that can be make or break for your plants. I have seen water used as high as 400PPM of unknown in large outdoor organic systems.
Yeah some can and especially outdoor where you get rain. But sodium from a water softener is bad news.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

agreed i do not use a softener its just straight well water pumped thru a hose filter. I think its also that a huge soil base thats generally seen outside will buffer a lot of that.

Top Bottom