How To Choose The Right Size Of Rosin Press Kits Between 3x7″ And 4x7″?

• Thread starter dabpress
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How To Choose the Right Size Of Rosin Press Kits Between 3x7″ and 4x7″?

• 4x7 Rosin Press Kit

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 3x7 Rosin Press Kit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4x7 Rosin Caged Cube Kit

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3x7 Rosin Caged Cube Kit

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3x5 Rosin Press kit

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 3x5 Rosin Caged Cube Kit

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
I still wanna write a blog about how to choose the right size of rosin press kit between 3x7″ and 4x7″.
However readers is easy to be confused by my poor English.
Now welcome discussion here, Thank you guys!

1, Without caged frame, just setup by screwdrivers. It means it is a little bit hard to align upper and bottom plates. Unless you align each time. So both of sizes isn't good enough.
2,Usually we won't place buds/rosin bag in the center point of heating plates instead edge of plates for watching oil flow. 4x7 will take more time than 3x7 so dab is not pure. We will also lose some pressure cause buds/rosin bag position.
3,4x7 size is more spend on freight cost than 3x7 in the same condition.
4, 4x7 is slow heating than 3x7

I don't wanna tell someone ours is the best here. I do hope we can improve our quality under your help.

Welcome to tell me truth, Thank you!

Hello
I am seeking only one reviewer at thcfarmer.com, You share our 60% money off to get the anodized rosin caged cube kit dp-rp37. After you testing, would you please share your comments on YouTube and here?

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
Seeking only one reviewer
You share our 60% money off to get the anodized rosin caged cube kit dp-rp37 from our amazon store.

sixstring

sixstring

Can you give me a link to the 3 x 7 cage with pricing or maybe I missed it in another thread?

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
( amazon store fulfilled by amazon)

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
@GrowGod thank you!
about product review of dp-rp37, you can watch it on youtube.com with keywords " dabpress review"

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
How To Choose the Right Size Anodized Plates Between 4x7” and 3x7”?

There are many options for rosin plates, so it’s clear that the big question remains. What size rosin plates do I need?

If you were to choose between 4x7” and 3x7” plates, what must be considered?

Pressure. 3x7” plates will require less pressure than 4x7” plates, in order to achieve maximum yields. Knowing this, you are able to pair 3x7” plates to a shop press in the 10-12 ton range and get effective pressure across the puck well within acceptable flower rosin squishing pressure (500-1500 PSI). Of course, you can still pair it with a 20-ton press, but these are more suitable for 4x7” cage kit. By using a lower tonnage press, we also save money. Maybe tonnage is not a concern?

How much material do you plan to squish per run? Let us say that every month you plan to run 30 grams of flowers through your press in one shot. 3x7” plates are well suited to press 30 grams of material, so 4x7” plates are overkill. You can certainly press even a single gram under both plates without issue. So maximum material per run is a consideration.

What about heat up times? Heating times on 3x7” plates will be faster than on 4x7” plates. This is due to the amount of mass in the entire plates required to be heated. With 3x7” plates you can expect 25% faster heat up time than 4x7” plates. With 3x7” plates you can expect the heater to reach temperature in under 15 minutes. This will get you squishing rosin about as fast as it will take to prepare the nugs in the rosin filter. And with how quickly the rosin extracts, you will be vaporizing tasty rosin soon thereafter.

Terpene preservation. With the narrower 3x7” plates, you are able to get rosin off the heat more quickly than 4x7” plates. Since we know that terpenes are volatile and can evaporate easily, the sooner the rosin moves off and away from the plates, the more terpenes will be preserved. This will provide a more flavorful and medicinal finished product. Terpene preservation is even more important when pressing hash or sift. Those delicate starting materials generally press at a much lower temperature from flowers and takes a much longer time. Effectively, 3x7” plates will finish the extraction faster.

Speed. Well, we sort of discussed that in the last point, but it goes hand in hand with terpene preservation. When pressing rosin, we want the rosin to spend as little time under pressure and heat as possible. With more narrow plates, we are able to extract our rosin faster. Of course, we are using less material than on 4x7” plates, but the same fact remains that the puck itself will be under pressure and heat for less time with 3x7” plates this generating a faster extraction.

If this didn’t help convince you that 3x7” plates are for you, then perhaps they aren’t. However, you should consider these points when shopping for your rosin plates for your DIY Rosin press build.

Peace!

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
Reviews about dp-rp37 rosin press plates

How To Achieve High Yields with Anodized Caged Cube Kit

dp-rp37 product review

I purchased this kit a month ago and have had a lot of time to mess around with it. First, it should be noted this kit is designed to be used for the rosin plates only. It is not designed to be used as an enail like other presses. This should allow the heaters and PID to last quite a while. The caged kit itself is very sturdy and heavy. It feels well designed and solid. The PID controller can heat the plates up to flower rosin temperatures (180-200F) in about 15 minutes. A bamboo plank is included in the box to help insulate the plates from the press's frame. Overall, this kit is extremely well built. The best part about these plates is the anodizing all across the plates. You can take temperatures of the plates at any time using a digital IR thermometer. I've also used an external thermocouple to compare to the PID settings and the controller seems to run 5-10 degrees higher than what registers on the plates.
I have squished a variety of amounts with this kit and have found that it works well with 1/8th, 1/4th, I haven't tried 1/2 yet, but that's coming up in the future! I know it will handle it well.

I highly recommend to purchase a shop press that includes some form of pressure gauge. You can certainly go by feel but if you have a pressure gauge, you will notice the pressure decreases as the rosin melts off of the flowers. Knowing how much pressure is being lost and when to reapply to maintain pressure is important.

Customer support from dabpress rep has been good with easy communication about the product.

Be sure to get a variety of rosin filters to use with this kit, if you just plan on pressing flowers, 160 micron filters seem to work just fine, you could try smaller microns but I dont see the need, my rosin is coming out nice and clean with 160 micron filters. Dry sift or bubble is best pressed with smaller filters like 60 micron or lower.

For this sized plates (3x7"), a 10-ton press is going to nearly hit 1k PSI maxed out, so that would be a fine pairing with this press, but a 12-20 ton press will be a better option for these plates if you plan to maximize the amount of material being ran through it each press so that you can hit 1-1.5k PSI across the puck.

Yields have ranged from 18-27% depending on the material being ran, but it is consistently giving good yields at varying temperatures.

Shout out to Roger and Dabpress for bringing us this affordable well built rosin press

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
Seeking only one reviewer of THCfarmer member to test our dp-rp37

Requirement:
1, Share your unbiased review there
2, Share your video review on YouTube

Any question, feel free to contact with us [email protected] or start a conversation there, Thank you guys

H

hhill

IMG 8574
IMG 8585
I use 3x5 low temp caged plates. I bought them used with a Drake 10 ton press. I would like to try the 4x7 plates at some point, as I usually press a pound or more of flowers for each strain I have.

With the 3x5 plates, I use a 1.75 inch x 3.25 inch mold and prepress 22 grams of flowers that will fit nicely into the rosin evolution 2" x 4.5" bags. I rarely go over 4.5 tons as sometime plant matter and extra lipids will be pressed out, lowering the potency and give off a darker color. Temperature varies from plant to plant, I do 2 gram tests at a wide temperature range in order to determine what I will run the rest of the flowers at from that plant.

I think the larger, 4x7 plates will allow me to press 40-50 grams at a time using 3" x 6" bags (2.5" x 4.5" pre-press) increasing productivity. I would be cautious though, as more material would mean more time to heat it up, and more time to get the rosin out of the flowers.

The 3x7 plates sound good too, as the rosin will flow out quicker and cool quicker, as long as I can get a proper size pre-press and reliable bags.

I've been making rosin for only a few months, but have made a lot of it to the highest quality I can. I have tested some of the local commercial rosin and it isn't nearly as good because either the starting material isn't as good, or the temps were too high/too long in order to maximize returns.

Last edited:
H

hhill

I almost forgot, i also use hardwood planks for plate insulation with a 1/4 inch thick steel plate between the ram and the top wooden insulator in order to spread the force of the ram evenly to the plate
IMG 8618

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
Why Can't I Use Dabpress' Temp Controller Box for E-nail? Talk Again.

Why Can't I Use Dabpress' Temp Controller Box for E-nail?

Firstly, wire of 5-pins XLR used in temp controller is easy to break, why?

• We had tested it many times. It is easy to be broken after shaking tens of times. Usually we put controller box on the top of hydraulic shop press. It is high risk if it dropped on the floor accidentally. No connector of cable try to avoid breaking, it is a point.
Secondly, welding cable.

• Just like iPhone charger, the cable is easy to break at the connecting point near the charger. XLR connector is welded, so it will break off easily.
Thirdly, we have to choose thick wire for safe.

• Normal 5-pin XLR connector of temp controller made in china on the market usually choose 3-5A current, it is not enough to meet our design.
Fourthly, why not to choose 5 pins XDL?

• Two for heater, two for probes (heat sensor). It means heater and sensor have to stay in the same stainless steel case. How to count on getting accurate temperature?
  • But it is still smart design but not for us. We have to abandon the benefits E-nail brings, it is bad thing entirely.
Now let me answer the important question you concerned.

How to replace the heater once heaters don’t work in future?

• Heater has its own working life, usually about 6000-8000 hours.
  • For rosin press plates, aluminum plate and frame are solid and sturdy for long-term use, but temp controller box could break down much easier. Unplug-design guarantees long life of temp controller box. That's why dabpress abandons the benefits E-nail brings.
  • It is not hard to replace by yourself.
Finally, you can try to open the dabpress temp controller box: no connectors installed from the two relays to heaters, just wires.

You can get discounted new temp controller if your temp box is dead. We don’t sell our temp controller individually unless you bought rosin press kit from us.

It doesn’t mean dabpress’ quality is the best. What am I trying to say “customer experience is the first in our heart”. It can help us become more and more better.

Thanks for your reading!

dabpress

dabpress

Premium Member
Supporter
This buyer from Holland, This is really smart to use rosin filter bag. I do hope it helps

H

hhill

It is really smart to use the rosin bags.... actually it is the only way when doing quantities. I love the fact you went skinny, 3x7 inches. I did find that Pure Pressure makes 2x9 inch bags, of course they would be cut down to fit your plates (2x6 inch size). So where do I get the 1.5 x 5.5-6 inch prepress to fit the 2x9 inch pure pressure bags (which I have to cut down)?

I'd love to test your plates, but the production side is not quite there yet. Yes, I can make a prepress out of hardwood, and I will if you want me to test your plates, I'd love to! Otherwise I have to spend a bunch of money on having a custom CNC'd machined piece made...

They look very good and the colorway is awesome, I have to admit. But financially and from a practicality standpoint the 4x7 plates make more sense as far as accessories available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom