How to clone with only one grow tent?

• Thread starter GalaxysEdge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Anybody have any creative ideas on how to grow clones when there is only one grow tent that has plants currently in it that are about to flip to flower?

I identified a female plant during veg and wanted to take some clippings for clones. But I got to think about what the heck I am going to do with those clones when I flip the current plants to flower.

Anybody ever encounter this and think of a creative idea on how to keep the clones growing while the other plants finish up?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can keep them alive for a while outside any tent. I used to do it in a small corner of my office with CFLs (when CFLs were big). They need as much light as you can give them, and no long periods of darkness. Time a light to go on a few times in the middle of the night to disrupt any ideas the plant might have about flowering.

I never had the patience to do this for long, so my creative idea now is to have an extra 3 x 3 tent.

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Give her a 1950s style sl... get her a gift to cover the sting of your 100 dollar frivolity.
Aa6eb71c89df7f069e69a83eabdd7f15  family guy tattoo

Ponky

Ponky

At what stage would clones start needing a more substantial light, environment, etc...? Could they last in that box long enough for a flower stage? 2 months+?
No. The clones would be able to live like that until they had roots. Then they need a pot and better light. Clones can root in as little as 5 days.

SecretGardener

SecretGardener

I started cloning with cuttings in a cup of water with and aquarium air pump to oxygenate the water and a 23w CFL bulb sitting on a counter top. You would just need a timer for the light and an air pump. Once rooted they can stay under the CFL till new growth starts. this would get you started learning cloning skills even if you have no room for them once they get bigger... if you are successful. I found cloning hard and it took me years to get better at it.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

I wanted to jump in, because I'm working with limited space as well and have a cpl ideas that might help and cuz cloning is one of my skills. (chick's dig guys with skills, and ligers) Napoleon Dynamite references aside, cloning is the only part of my repertoire I would brag about. I'm decent at growing and good at reading my plants, but I can clone anything, haha. I just had to bring my 2 outdoor plants inside for security purposes and took clones from them just in case (these are bag seed mystery girls but I love everything about them so far and didn't want to lose the genetics) Managed to get 10 out of 10 to root in 6 days even though they are 3 or 4 weeks into flower. Ive taken a cpl thousand clones over my time growing, and get 90% or better rooted. Anyone can get there with practice. You can see my hi dollar cloning area, haha. I used a regular plant dome and rapid rooters, with clonex. The lights are 35 bucks a piece from home depot, little full spectrum leds that daisy chain. Started with only 1 light on, about 2 feet away. 1st few days they want high humidity and low to moderate light. It makes sense to not force them to go through a lot of photosynthetic behavior when you want them concentrating on growing roots. After 36 hrs or so I open the vents, and then a day later I take the dome off for short periods. If they droop, put it back on. I don't ever spray them (again, why form roots if im getting water without them?) As long as it's about 70% humidity they shouldn't need the dome after 3 or 4 days. Dome comes off I turn on the second light. I keep the cubes damp but not soaking wet, I didn't need to wet them til day 5.
When they have a nice little bunch of roots they go into the ubiquitous solo cups. They can stay in there for at least a week (mine have been in there for 10 days) After that I will pick 6 or 7 and put them in .75 gallon pots for ten days, then into 2 gallon pots for 10 to 14 days. They will still fit on the washing machine till they need to go into the 5 gallon fabric pots to finish. The lights can drop closer as the plants grow, I just used them to get 6 plants to 18 inches tall before going into the tent on the last run. I use this system when I need to stretch out and slow down the veg process to wait for my tents to open up. I even (don't everyone shout at me at once) will let them get a little root tight (not fully bound up) in the 1st 2 containers, a little fulvic acid and they don't seem to mind as long as I let them recover in the new pot. Another little trick to slow veg growth without damaging the plants is to maintain equal temp during lights off or even a degree higher at lights out. (I give them 24 hrs while cloning but transition to 20 hrs on 4 hrs off once planted) Hope this helps. Can give more specific cloning tips if anyone needs, but I figure there's prob lots o threads on here about it.

20210826 010313
GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

I wanted to jump in, because I'm working with limited space as well and have a cpl ideas that might help and cuz cloning is one of my skills. (chick's dig guys with skills, and ligers) Napoleon Dynamite references aside, cloning is the only part of my repertoire I would brag about. I'm decent at growing and good at reading my plants, but I can clone anything, haha. I just had to bring my 2 outdoor plants inside for security purposes and took clones from them just in case (these are bag seed mystery girls but I love everything about them so far and didn't want to lose the genetics) Managed to get 10 out of 10 to root in 6 days even though they are 3 or 4 weeks into flower. Ive taken a cpl thousand clones over my time growing, and get 90% or better rooted. Anyone can get there with practice. You can see my hi dollar cloning area, haha. I used a regular plant dome and rapid rooters, with clonex. The lights are 35 bucks a piece from home depot, little full spectrum leds that daisy chain. Started with only 1 light on, about 2 feet away. 1st few days they want high humidity and low to moderate light. It makes sense to not force them to go through a lot of photosynthetic behavior when you want them concentrating on growing roots. After 36 hrs or so I open the vents, and then a day later I take the dome off for short periods. If they droop, put it back on. I don't ever spray them (again, why form roots if im getting water without them?) As long as it's about 70% humidity they shouldn't need the dome after 3 or 4 days. Dome comes off I turn on the second light. I keep the cubes damp but not soaking wet, I didn't need to wet them til day 5.
When they have a nice little bunch of roots they go into the ubiquitous solo cups. They can stay in there for at least a week (mine have been in there for 10 days) After that I will pick 6 or 7 and put them in .75 gallon pots for ten days, then into 2 gallon pots for 10 to 14 days. They will still fit on the washing machine till they need to go into the 5 gallon fabric pots to finish. The lights can drop closer as the plants grow, I just used them to get 6 plants to 18 inches tall before going into the tent on the last run. I use this system when I need to stretch out and slow down the veg process to wait for my tents to open up. I even (don't everyone shout at me at once) will let them get a little root tight (not fully bound up) in the 1st 2 containers, a little fulvic acid and they don't seem to mind as long as I let them recover in the new pot. Another little trick to slow veg growth without damaging the plants is to maintain equal temp during lights off or even a degree higher at lights out. (I give them 24 hrs while cloning but transition to 20 hrs on 4 hrs off once planted) Hope this helps. Can give more specific cloning tips if anyone needs, but I figure there's prob lots o threads on here about it.
Hey! Thanks so much for sharing!

This is really great info. On average, how long are you able to let your clones sit on your washing machine set up under that light?

The specific problem i am trying to solve for is i would need the clones to be outside of the tent for 2 months to allow the current plants to flower. Also plan on drying in the tent as well.

Ponky

Ponky

Ok so the move would be to after 3 weeks of flowering take the cuts. Bubble clone them. Hopefully that takes 20 days. And then you transplant them into small pots. And grow them under a mild light. Giving you the time you need for a space to open up.

Mugwort

Mugwort

Anybody have any creative ideas on how to grow clones when there is only one grow tent that has plants currently in it that are about to flip to flower?

I identified a female plant during veg and wanted to take some clippings for clones. But I got to think about what the heck I am going to do with those clones when I flip the current plants to flower.

Anybody ever encounter this and think of a creative idea on how to keep the clones growing while the other plants finish up?
Yes I’ve encountered this and this particular “problem” has lulled me into buying another light and growing in two rooms. The thought of vegging my plants in a subpar environment...well, I can’t do that. I also don’t have the patience to wait the time it takes to start a whole new generation from seed. Ahh....but I love it so...so I grow and grow. When I harvest my current grow in about 5-6 weeks I will have 4-6 more mature vegged clones to go in tent. My problem now, with only one tent, is preparing them for life under the SCROG net. I might not be able to develop the even full canopy that fills every hole in net since they will have vegged without a net for a couple of months. I really need to reign it in somewhat. I started this hobby 14 months ago and it has been, without planning such, a perpetual grow!

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Ok so the move would be to after 3 weeks of flowering take the cuts. Bubble clone them. Hopefully that takes 20 days. And then you transplant them into small pots. And grow them under a mild light. Giving you the time you need for a space to open up.
Ohhh gotcha that makes sense. I thought I read somewhere to get clones during veg. But if I could do it closer towards the end of my current grow, that would solve a lot of concerns.

Ponky

Ponky

Look up some articles on: monster cropping.
Clones from flowering plants. Eventually you can get one of those propagation tents. They're chambered. So you can always have pre veg ready to flip. Good grow to you.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

I wouldn't wait til week 3 or 4 of flower like I did especially until you are more comfortable cloning. Maybe only take a cpl that late to practice. During stretch the plant actually clones pretty readily, but once flower actually begins cloning success drops off. It was a necessity to take them when I did, but after stretch it gets progressively harder. Also, taking them as late as I did means they will reveg after rooting, while this will add a cpl weeks to the veg time it does make them wonky for a while. Ive never revegged clones and so don't know how the full grown plant will look. I usually take them 1st or second week of flower at latest.
Current timeline: took cuttings Aug 4th, planted 7 rooted clones in solo cups Aug 11th and the other three on the 12th. Prob going to the .75 gallon Saturday, and into 2 gallon 2 weeks after. All together I can make it 7 or 8 weeks before they need to go in the tent for 10 or so days of veg in the 5 gallon before flower flip. You need up to 10 weeks to finish and dry your tent so that's gonna be a crunch. Maybe build yourself a drying cabinet? a lot cheaper than a 2nd tent and it gets your clones into the tent almost 2 weeks earlier.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Also, growing Dream Queen from Humboldt seeds rn, she finishes in 7 weeks, maybe shave a week off your schedule with an earlier finishing girl on ur next run?

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Stoner brain booting up slowly...
Another consideration, maybe give autoflowers a go? Then you can veg and flower in the same tent, on different timeliness. They are a little tricky to start, but as the genetics improve I'm leaning towards getting a separate autoflower tent where I can keep a mom or 2 as well. If you do the math, a good yielding auto perpetual grow is a really efficient use of space. Harvest at 80 days or so when they would be on week 2 or 3 of flower at best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom