How To Clone?

• Thread starter London bud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
London bud

London bud

Yes, you can just stick a cutting in soil, cover with a sandwich bag and it will root if your environment is stable. But that’s not ideal. Here’s how I do it:

Clone dome on a heat mat set to 80*F. A small amount of plain water in the tray to keep the humidity up in the dome. T5 light on 24/0. The light being on all the time helps maintain a stable environment in the dome, more so than the plants needing a lot of light at this point. I maintain about 80*F and 80% RH. Cuttings are first placed into a cup of water immediately after they are taken from the mother plant. This is to prevent an embolism (air bubble entering the stem and killing the cutting). When everything is gathered and I’m ready, I clip any large fan leaves by half, lightly scrape the stem, dip in Clonex, then into a rooting plug and under the dome. After three days I slowly begin opening the dome vents over a few days time. I don’t need to mist them as the environment is perfect and keeps them moist. I regularly get roots in 6 days using this method. They are usually in pots by 10 days.
Been having pretty good success cloning since I posted this, been cloning loads now Lol love it.
Have basically been doing as you say here, I put em straight in water, cut a nice long angle on them, scrape them and pot them, i cut the leaves in half and put straight into soil, I've not been using any clones or any rooting product, I pot them in a solo cup with fine compact soil, seed and cutting soil, I keep the soil wet and mist now and then when im with them and I and leave a light on 24/7, a couple of cfls. I keep them in a nice calm corner and that's it, most are growing after two weeks and practically all are growing within four weeks, that's good enough for me, I've got so many of them now that there's always a few rooting and ready to take off.
Near on 100% success rate with no additives.
I only been doing this with one strain, not sure how strain dependent cloning is, I'm not having any problems though, perhaps something like clonex will speed up the process though, I'll have to try some time but I'm a cheapskate

Enforcer

Enforcer

Been having pretty good success cloning since I posted this, been cloning loads now Lol love it.
Have basically been doing as you say here, I put em straight in water, cut a nice long angle on them, scrape them and pot them, i cut the leaves in half and put straight into soil, I've not been using any clones or any rooting product, I pot them in a solo cup with fine compact soil, seed and cutting soil, I keep the soil wet and mist now and then when im with them and I and leave a light on 24/7, a couple of cfls. I keep them in a nice calm corner and that's it, most are growing after two weeks and practically all are growing within four weeks, that's good enough for me, I've got so many of them now that there's always a few rooting and ready to take off.
Near on 100% success rate with no additives.
I only been doing this with one strain, not sure how strain dependent cloning is, I'm not having any problems though, perhaps something like clonex will speed up the process though, I'll have to try some time but I'm a cheapskate

Sounds like you got it! Cloning is a skill that takes your grow game to the next level. Swapping cuts with other growers is an easy and inexpensive way to expand your experience growing various genetics. The first few times I successfully cloned my plants, I had rooted cuttings falling out of my ears 😆. Yes, some strains will root faster than others. Also the health of the mother will affect rooting time. Any type of rooting hormone (like Clonex) will speed up rooting time.

London bud

London bud

Sounds like you got it! Cloning is a skill that takes your grow game to the next level. Swapping cuts with other growers is an easy and inexpensive way to expand your experience growing various genetics. The first few times I successfully cloned my plants, I had rooted cuttings falling out of my ears 😆. Yes, some strains will root faster than others. Also the health of the mother will affect rooting time. Any type of rooting hormone (like Clonex) will speed up rooting time.
I agree, since I've started cloning I've gone mad with it, I've started a constant 12/12 now, couldn't do it without the cuttings.

At some point in the future I definetely will purchase a product like clonex, quicker rooting will always be a plus but I'm getting by ok right now

DTG

DTG

I have a question about post clone growing.

So here is what happened. I had a really kick ass purple plant last season (I grow outside) so I took 3 cuts & cloned them all winter long. They rooted very well, but the environment was a tad cold, as they grew over the winter, I noticed the leaves were very strange. there would be a leaf coming from a node that did not look typical, it was only a single leaf, no 3's or 5's only singles. the plants continued to grow like this all winter in my chilly basement closet.
When spring finally showed up this year, I placed them outside to prepare for digging in. At about 3 weeks outdoors as of last Monday, there seems to be no change still only single leaves appearing on all plants. They will be placed in full sun today.

My question is a 2 parter: 1) Was growing in a cool basement all winter the cause of this? aaaand . . .

C) Will they recover & return to normal growth or should I kill them & start over ?

I am hoping the answer is not to kill them, I hate to kill plants it is in my nature to try at all cost to save them, plus the reason I took cuts was to try to save this unknown strain as I do not have any more of these plants.
I do not know what strain they are as they came from bag seed from 2 years ago & it was really, really good smoke & I would hate like hell to lose it.

Oh, by the way, the temp in the basement was around 12 to 13 degrees C, which is somewhere around negative 300 degrees American.

Thanks for your answers.

DTG

MrChemovar

MrChemovar

I ending up scrapping my oxyclone for a jiffy pellets haha I know right. But anyways I was using RO water and in a hot environment with amended microbes (bad idea) and aloe vera powder from build a soil. Normally the aloe powder is water soluble but being in the reservoir that I didn't know was in the 80+ F ended creating a good amount of plaque and gunk on the roots of my cutting. This is will be my 2nd time sanitizing the oxyclone, the first time I scrapped too much of the base of the cuttings and know by experience what the right depth is when scraping (enough to take a slight layer off but not enough where white starts showing which is the core).

The easiest solution to this would of been grabbing spring water and starting it with just PURE water and pH it down a little with lemon juice if too high. I'll be returning to the oxyclone once I bleach everything and be more critical on cleanliness and even adding a about 4-5 ml per gallon of bleach in the oxyclone res to keep everything from gunking up everything so many times. Aloe vera is my cloning gel, not getting 100% success rate but its going more like 50-60% but better than my 10% with the oxy with bad technique.

Reactions: DTG
Seraphine

Seraphine

I have a question about post clone growing.

So here is what happened. I had a really kick ass purple plant last season (I grow outside) so I took 3 cuts & cloned them all winter long. They rooted very well, but the environment was a tad cold, as they grew over the winter, I noticed the leaves were very strange. there would be a leaf coming from a node that did not look typical, it was only a single leaf, no 3's or 5's only singles. the plants continued to grow like this all winter in my chilly basement closet.
When spring finally showed up this year, I placed them outside to prepare for digging in. At about 3 weeks outdoors as of last Monday, there seems to be no change still only single leaves appearing on all plants. They will be placed in full sun today.

My question is a 2 parter: 1) Was growing in a cool basement all winter the cause of this? aaaand . . .

C) Will they recover & return to normal growth or should I kill them & start over ?

I am hoping the answer is not to kill them, I hate to kill plants it is in my nature to try at all cost to save them, plus the reason I took cuts was to try to save this unknown strain as I do not have any more of these plants.
I do not know what strain they are as they came from bag seed from 2 years ago & it was really, really good smoke & I would hate like hell to lose it.

Oh, by the way, the temp in the basement was around 12 to 13 degrees C, which is somewhere around negative 300 degrees American.

Thanks for your answers.

DTG
So you’re taking clones of clones of clones? Or do you have a mother plant? When I take clones of clones of a clone of clone etc. I find they start to grow a little wonky as in more mutations like a node growing out of a fan leaf or buds growing on leaves, weird leaf structure. I usually stop cloning at that point and start fresh from a new seed.

London bud

London bud

So you’re taking clones of clones of clones? Or do you have a mother plant? When I take clones of clones of a clone of clone etc. I find they start to grow a little wonky as in more mutations like a node growing out of a fan leaf or buds growing on leaves, weird leaf structure. I usually stop cloning at that point and start fresh from a new seed.
I'm taking clones from clones, no ill effect yet but I'm 4 clones on from mum if you know what I mean. How many times till you notice abnormalities?

Seraphine

Seraphine

I'm taking clones from clones, no ill effect yet but I'm 4 clones on from mum if you know what I mean. How many times till you notice abnormalities?
Right about where you’re at. You can keep cloning but you’ll start to notice weird things happening to Some of your clones. Maybe some strains handle that kind of cloning better than others, the strain I had seemed to mutate, lol

Seraphine

Seraphine

Right about where you’re at. You can keep cloning but you’ll start to notice weird things happening to Some of your clones. Maybe some strains handle that kind of cloning better than others, the strain I had seemed to mutate, lol
I would say I began to notice growth that didn’t resemble the original plant around the 3rd or 4th clone. The abnormalities became more frequent in the subsequent clones. I haven’t noticed any adverse effects in potency, that’s the important thing, right?!

London bud

London bud

I would say I began to notice growth that didn’t resemble the original plant around the 3rd or 4th clone. The abnormalities became more frequent in the subsequent clones. I haven’t noticed any adverse effects in potency, that’s the important thing, right?!
I was thinking I might have to start fresh once a year. I'll be keeping an eye out for strange growth now but ye as long as the buds still potent its not the end of the world. Kinda looking forward to having a freaky plant lol

Reactions: DTG
Seraphine

Seraphine

I was thinking I might have to start fresh once a year. I'll be keeping an eye out for strange growth now but ye as long as the buds still potent its not the end of the world. Kinda looking forward to having a freaky plant lol
It does make the process more interesting when you get mutations. One turned into a fasciation (wide flat stem) but I topped that stem to prevent one freaky flower and got a million stems and buds growing off it. The weirdest was the node growing off the fan leaf stem. Wish I took a pic of that.

DTG

DTG

Hi, thank you for your response.

The 3 clones I took came from a seed plant only growing that season. When I took the clones from her it was very close to flowering, I would say about 2 & 1/2 weeks after I took them the original plant began showing flower pistols. They are very strange looking to say the least, I am sorry I have no pics as I can never figure out how to post them on here.
I dug them into the ground last week & they are still not showing any sign of recovery yet, however they still my be in transplant shock. Either that or my thumb is beginning to turn brown. I can't figure it out.

When & if they straighten out I will let you know. Fingers crossed they recover & provide me with some nice buds.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it very much.

DTG.

DTG

DTG

Hi London Bud. . .

I usually start every season with seed, the only reason I cloned this one was because I hade no more seed & I didn't want to lose it. Buuuutttt,
now that I see the clones growing & looking funky, I too am looking forward to having a weirdo plant as long as the smoke is good.

Thanks for your response I appreciate it.

DTG.

Top Bottom