How to make Absolute Shatter using a Thermos

• Thread starter Pisces
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pisces

Pisces

Thanks guys….

fwiw, I began using Crown Butane recently and found it is better then Special Blue x7… :D

KushnDabs, the quick answer to your Q is, No!

The fats, waxes, and lipids are the unwanted crap that coats the throat, lungs, etc..upon inhalation.

These same fats, waxes and lipids are also obviously present in all cannabis as well.

They are present in the plant matter itself.

When we make Oil, we are pulling the trichomes from the plant matter but the waxes get pulled as well.

So the best way to strip them from the oil is to winterize…….

J

juggo

I have noticed when i freeze the tane as opposed to room temp,it doesnt extract anywhere near the fats,lipids,and waxes.I have ran frozen and non frozen side by side and you can actually see the nasties warm butane extracts compared to room temp butane. Frozen butane yields less than non frozen,so that weight imo is waxes,fats,and lipids. What do yall think? Dab on my brothers.
edit:just realized this was the thermos thread,so of course yall freeze the butane...I need to try this method...
peace,
juggo

Pisces

Pisces

I have noticed when i freeze the tane as opposed to room temp,it doesnt extract anywhere near the fats,lipids,and waxes.I have ran frozen and non frozen side by side and you can actually see the nasties warm butane extracts compared to room temp butane. Frozen butane yields less than non frozen,so that weight imo is waxes,fats,and lipids. What do yall think? Dab on my brothers.
edit:just realized this was the thermos thread,so of course yall freeze the butane...I need to try this method...
peace,
juggo

The ONLY reason we freeze the butane Before using it is so that it doesn't evaporate as quickly and collects into the thermos much quicker….leaving a pool for the herb to swim in.

If we did not freeze it first, it would take More Butane to fill the thermos… which, is wasteful.

The fats, waxes, lipids, etc…don't get removed until the winterization process.

They get removed because they don't have no medical benefits and can actually cause health issues if inhaled or ingested in large doses regularly.

The object here is to strip the oil of any unwanted and/or potentially harmful stuff that could eventually build up in the body over time.

Been Vaping Oil for four years now ….Two of those years, have been nothing but Oil.

No Herbs at all…except for a toke of a joint here and there…and that was when I was in a group setting where it was being passed around.

All that to say, I just got done taking my full physical at the Docs last week and everything is perfect!
No unwanted side effects whatsoever!

J

juggo

I totally agree on the winterization,after 48 hrs in the freezer im still amazed at whats filtered out. For us open blasters you are saying there is no benefit in freezing the butane since we are going to winterize anyway,that makes sense.What about people not winterizing,like some of my amigos,frozen tane would make no difference then? Thanks for the response.

peace,
juggo

Pisces

Pisces

I honestly never found any benefit to freezing butane or the packed tube before blasting in the open.

And yes, i've tried both ways.

IME, The real magic happens during the Winterization process….

gumby420

gumby420

I honestly never found any benefit to freezing butane or the packed tube before blasting in the open.

And yes, i've tried both ways.

IME, The real magic happens during the Winterization process….

have you tried single solvent dewaxing in a buchner funnel? whenever i do a run i dewax and dont winterize, the everclear kills terps in my opinion.

Pisces

Pisces

Can't say that I have @ gumby420 … please explain the method if you've got time.
Thanks in Advance!

I too have found that Ethanol somewhat kills the terps…..but I'd much rather Vape tasteless Shatter, then nasty Wax anyday!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hey @Pisces great to see your work as always, and thanks for the detailed tutorial. Why not completely purge the tane before winterizing? I've got some well purged (vac/heat) but not winterized bho that I'd like to try this on.

outwest

Pisces

Pisces

Hey Outwest….. good to see you too old friend!

Actually, I do purge the Oil before winterizing by leaving it in the Pyrex dish on the griddle for a couple of hours.
This is more then enough time for the butane to evaporate before adding ethanol.

I have tried Vac-Purging the oil Before winterizing and have noticed No difference.

Now I can see where there'd be an issue if I just dumped in the ethanol right away once the bubbles have stopped or are even still active….

K

KushNDabs

have you tried single solvent dewaxing in a buchner funnel? whenever i do a run i dewax and dont winterize, the everclear kills terps in my opinion.

I've heard of Dewaxing using a Buchner Funnel instead of everclear... I have never tried it myself, but as far as i've heard there are 2 main obstacles. Keeping it cold enough and forcing the BHO through the funnel (the filter is lab grade around 1 micron so it wont just fall through). I would love to try it out if you can offer some guidelines?

overripe

overripe

I've heard of Dewaxing using a Buchner Funnel instead of everclear... I have never tried it myself, but as far as i've heard there are 2 main obstacles. Keeping it cold enough and forcing the BHO through the funnel (the filter is lab grade around 1 micron so it wont just fall through). I would love to try it out if you can offer some guidelines?
agreed about the Everclear/ethanol, single solvent is the way to go imo.

i have a 350 mL Corning Buchner funnel with fritted disk. the porosity is 10-15 μm and listed as medium. they also have coarse (40-60 μm) and fine (4-5.5 μm) porosity. i don't use a vacuum for filtration so it is slow going but not bad.

the Buchner funnel is supported using a lab stand/support rod inside of a cooler with dry ice. i had to cut my support rod by about .5" so it would fit inside with the cooler secured and lid shut. i also use a pretty serious cooler, it's an Icehole M35.

gumby420

gumby420

Can't say that I have @ gumby420 … please explain the method if you've got time.
Thanks in Advance!

I too have found that Ethanol somewhat kills the terps…..but I'd much rather Vape tasteless Shatter, then nasty Wax anyday!

its pretty easy, get a buchner funnel and a collection funnel and surround it with dry ice, blast into a mason jar, pull a full vac in your vac chamber, hook up vacuum chamber to bottom collection funnel. pour the mason jar into the top of the buchner funnel and hit open your vac chamber and that will pull everything down through the filter into the collection funnel. you dont wanna hook your vac up to the collection funnel because it could spark, so the negative pressure in the vac will work. look up dewaxing on youtube on some good videos should come up. look up bret maverick or something like that

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I have a lot of trim been saving to hand over to some one else to make Is it best to freeze it for storage. Til enought is aquired. ? Thanks M

Pisces

Pisces

Hey Medusa….. if the bag that the herb is in is completely sealed Before placing it into the freezer, then they should be fine….

The trick is to not allow any condensation to get into the herbs before using them for Oil making.

I usually just keep the herbs I'm going to use in a very dark, dry, and cool place in the house to store until they'll be used.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Hey Medusa….. if the bag that the herb is in is completely sealed Before placing it into the freezer, then they should be fine….

The trick is to not allow any condensation to get into the herbs before using them for Oil making.

I usually just keep the herbs I'm going to use in a very dark, dry, and cool place in the house to store until they'll be used.
Have to save up a pound ..and thats alot of just trimming testing beans. some bud also..Thank you... M

Pisces

Pisces

Then keep in mind that the fresher the herb, the better the quality of the finished Oil when all is said and done.

IME, the older the herb, the darker the finished Oil

When herb is super fresh, the Oil will come back Blonde….

Now make some Oil using that same herb months later, and it will be very dark with a much heavier taste as well.

Pisces

Pisces

Oh and btw, Hope your having a Wonderful day today M.

i'll have to go check out your thread as it's been a while since I have.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I ordered some thermos' @Pisces and thought they would not work after I pulled the plastic liner from the lid. Then I came back to this thread and saw that you have the exact same thermos.

What do you do about the lid not really fitting (screwing on) to the base once you take the plastic out? How critical is this?

In the meantime I have purchased some 14" x 1.5" diameter SS pipe and some SS endcaps. Figured I can make a more buff version that holds tight..

Also, I ordered 95% everclear and got 75%.. Do you think this will still work or should I reorder?

Pisces

Pisces

Hi Capulator… the thermos cap "should" just slide over the top and fit snugly.

If it doesn't, you may have to purchase another one with a slightly bigger cap and fit that onto the smaller thermos base.

This is actually what I had to do with mine that I forgot to mention……

The idea is you want to get the rim of the cap around the base of the thermos where I pointed my finger….. but again, you want it to fit nice and snug…not loose or too tight where it won't fit over like the original cap.

Thermos1
Thermos2
Thermos3

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hi Capulator… the thermos cap "should" just slide over the top and fit snugly.

If it doesn't, you may have to purchase another one with a slightly bigger cap and fit that onto the smaller thermos base.

This is actually what I had to do with mine that I forgot to mention……

The idea is you want to get the rim of the cap around the base of the thermos where I pointed my finger….. but again, you want it to fit nice and snug…not loose or too tight where it won't fit over like the original cap.

View attachment 433935 View attachment 433936 View attachment 433937

yeah that makes sense. I am gonna give it a go with my stainless steel pipe and endcaps.

Top Bottom