How to make Absolute Shatter using a Thermos

• Thread starter Pisces
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QLTYlab

QLTYlab

great thread @Pisces ! open blasting always freaked me out a little with the pressure so seeing this soaking method is very appealing. need to get a vac and IR hotplate to try asap! thanks!

@Capulator curious myself because i know my friends that blast do a minimum 60hr purge.

Pisces

Pisces

@ pisces how long are you vac purging for?

Hey wuddup Cap….hope all is good with ya.

I usually vac-purge for about an hour and a half per gram.

Been lazy these days and have been making shatter these past couple of times without winterizing.

Still turns out BHOmb tho!!!

A29

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
i think i am seeing a marked change in yield from simply running frozen material. dry frozen stuff seems to yield a fair bit less of oil than the same stuff ran unfrozen and it seems a lot smoother too, so i am thinking waxes arent being as extracted as well from the frozen plant matter..

INbreed312

INbreed312

Interesting considering acetone w/ dry ice baths are becoming the defacto standard for dewaxing in the inter web circles. Have you done any post winterization filter tests of both side by side with exact amounts of biomass and solvent for each?

INbreed312

INbreed312

Sort of. I used the pieces from one of my CLS to make that. Same method albeit a few changes I made but yes, that was a soak run.

zack seasu

zack seasu

Pisces, and all the other good comments,
Thank you, your information is a game changer for those like me who got the cough from, well, smoking pot from unknown grass to bud n bongs. Had to give up. Then got a medical license (s) for my 88 year old dad and mom and started really looking for an cleaner alternative. Thank you for sharing winterizing, never knew and now it makes sense, clarity. .... no more cough.

T

tohtori

I recently was talking to a friend about dabbing. He was telling me that if you do not do the step with everclear and leave waxes in (which probably 99% of people do) then smoke it, you coat your lungs with shit. Kids think they have smokers cough from "weed" but actually it's a film of shit on their lungs from unrefined BHO.
Can you please tell what is this mystery shit that coat your lungs and found only in BHO but not in weed? In reality there is less shit that coat your lungs in BHO than weed even not winterized.

D

dankfade

Can you please tell what is this mystery shit that coat your lungs and found only in BHO but not in weed? In reality there is less shit that coat your lungs in BHO than weed even not winterized.
its just plant wax
have you tried single solvent dewaxing in a buchner funnel? whenever i do a run i dewax and dont winterize, the everclear kills terps in my opinion.

is it the winterizing with ethanol that kills the terps or the fact you have to purge at a higher temp and longer to get the everclear out?

gumby420

gumby420

its just plant wax

is it the winterizing with ethanol that kills the terps or the fact you have to purge at a higher temp and longer to get the everclear out?

honestly im not totally sure, im not a chemist or anything, but if i had guess it would be a combination of both. higher temps will for sure evaporate terps, alcohol extractions always taste like shit (at least ones ive tried). so i would say combo of both

LittleLouie

LittleLouie

Wow what a great tutorial. Love the easy step by step layout with pics. Instead of the steel thermos would a glass mason jar work for the bath?

J

Joe1234

19) After the butane is poured from the thermos, I then place the SS Cap back on it, grab my second can of butane and Re-Fill the thermos AGAIN with butane for a Second soaking.
((Note; This time i allow the herbs to soak for a total of 1.5 hours ****One hour and thirty minutes
wink.gif
**** SET A TIMER YOU STONER!!!![/QUOTE]

Hey All,

I have a question regarding the second soaking. At this point the 1st soak is already done and poured into the pot for the purging process..do you wait for the second soak to finish then pour that liquid into the same pot and then move on to the next step or is the second soaking for a altogether separate batch...

Thanks

Joe

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

The terps leave with the alcohol. If you distill the alcohol off, and taste it, it will be a cannabis flavored gin.

Is this true even when I'm doing a cold evaporation of the alcohol? I'm hoping I can make a QWET shatter with lots of terps.

T

twanbiz

so how are the terpenes with the process described - for example the pictures you have provided does it have a large terpene profile or does the winterization remove? I have dabbed some really clear shatter that is full of flavor so I am trying to figure out how that could be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom