How to make Absolute Shatter using a Thermos

• Thread starter Pisces
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chuckchill

chuckchill

Whats your ,usual, yeild foper oz of nug like that please? this is the safest way!BY FAR! ive seen it done.WITH OUT /10,S OF 1000,S POUNDS WORTH OF LAB TECH.VERY COOL IM GOING STRAIGHT TO TRY THIS. BE MY 1,ST TIME.ILL USE A GRADE BUDS! WHAT DO I EXPECT? WHATS YOUR YEILDS? SORRY FOR ALL THE Q,S.LOL.JUST SO AMAZING IM GOING TO MAKE MY OWN OIL. I JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE YEILD YOU GET PER OZ OF NUG.LIKE URS.
PEACE + CHEERS IF U CAN TELL ME:-)
C.C
Thanks guys…. It really is that easy!

Note; I no longer use Vector Butane anymore because it isn't as clean as a few other brands including Special Blue x7 which I am falling in love with more and more every time I use it.

It is Super clean and leaves no aftertaste behind like Vector products do.

chuckchill

chuckchill

bubba kush makes a oil that colour! ESPECIALLY HOW THICK THAT SLAB IS MEDUSA:-)LOL.ITS HUGE!. 63,G .WOW.HAVE U TRIED LIKE LETTING SAY G WARM + ,SPREAD OUT THIN? MIGHT BE A LIGHT OIL?IDK.JUST MY 02:-) CUS ITS SO THICK.
PEACE.
C.C
View attachment 412299 Glad to see your doing this outside ! ? is shatter better light or dark? just had this made outta kief pretty dark This is 63 grams but made almost 100 gr

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
bubba kush makes a oil that colour! ESPECIALLY HOW THICK THAT SLAB IS MEDUSA:)LOL.ITS HUGE!. 63,G .WOW.HAVE U TRIED LIKE LETTING SAY G WARM + ,SPREAD OUT THIN? MIGHT BE A LIGHT OIL?IDK.JUST MY 02:) CUS ITS SO THICK.
PEACE.
C.C

I didnt make it ..pd someone to do it ...from a friend of a friend ...Yah that would probably be a good idea...

Down4Dabs

Down4Dabs

Hey Guys... so what would the final step be if I were making shatter with this process and did not have a vac?

Can I purge longer with the water bath? Or at a slightly different temp to get the last bit out? Google searching I see too many differences in temperatures/times.

I realize the "Right" way would be a vac, and that should be happening in the next couple months. I have a friend who makes this shatter this process, but doesn't vac either, and his stuff comes out KINDA hard, but still will get soft when you touch it. Is this pretty much the only result you will get without a vac step at the end?

chuckchill

chuckchill

youv absolutelly piut up a PURE GAME CHANGER HERE PI[SCES. NOW I CAN MAKE BHO ,SAFELY. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE TECH BRO.UR KILLING IT MAN:-) AMAZING. IM JUST WAITING TO HARVEST IN A COUPLE WEEKS! I CANT WAIT TO TRY THIS OUT.THANK UPEACE.C.CQUOTE="INbreed312, post: 1324748, member: 62866"]Interesting considering acetone w/ dry ice baths are becoming the defacto standard for dewaxing in the inter web circles. Have you done any post winterization filter tests of both side by side with exact amounts of biomass and solvent for each?[/QUOTE]

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
If its indoor ran theres honestly no reason to waste time, theres not enough waxes.. a 40 gram slab of fan leaf made bho only gave back 2 grams in wax when i winterized it...and it still tasted like shit..

Winterized is great for outdoor i would think, but indoor theres just not enough to waste time with..or money..

You smoke worse when you burn flowers then you do when you VAPE bho.. ;)

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
If its indoor ran theres honestly no reason to waste time, theres not enough waxes.. a 40 gram slab of fan leaf made bho only gave back 2 grams in wax when i winterized it...and it still tasted like shit..

Winterized is great for outdoor i would think, but indoor theres just not enough to waste time with..or money..

You smoke worse when you burn flowers then you do when you VAPE bho.. ;)
Why is there more waxes in outdoor--
where does it come from???

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Why is there more waxes in outdoor--
where does it come from???

Dunno, thats why i said i think.. Just recall others who winterized both have said outdoor had alot more waxes vs indoor, where it comes from i guess would be the plants protection from the harsh rays of the sun, vs indoor lights not as harsh.. Plus other factors outdoor that are easily controlled indoor, humidity, rain, bugs, nutrients, ect ect.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
like it was said before.. indoor runs don't produce even close to the amounts. my indoor runs produce maybe a gram of wax an fatty lipids or watevers in there.. out of 2 tube run.. yielding over 35 grams. only 1 was winterized crap... on my outdoor buds.. I got 6 grams out of 67 grams of shatter.. so now I don't bother doing indoors it wastes a lot of monoterps unless u can get the butane to get soo cold u can winterize with 1 solvent. instead of winterizing with alcohol

^^ Example straight from the horses mouth ;)

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/is-this-still-winterizing.62189/

P

psilisophic

Protip:pour thru strainer directly onto dry ice to Single Solvent Dewax, instead of redissolving in Ethanol.. I am incredibly wary of anything but using a Closed Loop System. but if your going to, please be safe

L

Listmann

I know its an old post but need sum help... I kinda stomped on step one of this (and similar) tutorials.

What i did was a froze my buds. Then frozen, i cracked them up and packed them in the thermos (i don't want to grind them up as i will then rupture the cells of the plant and i will be pulling unwanted material)

Then i filled the container with chilled butane and left it to soak for a full two hours inside a cooler surrounded with ice. Every half hour i "swirled" it.

When i poured the butane out again it was crystal clear. CRYSTAL!

My theory is that a fine layer of condensation must have covered and frozen over the buds bfore the butane was added. But its surprising that it meant NOTHING atall was extracted! I mean the pyrex dish had very thin layer of white stuff on the bottom, probably some plant waxes and butane leftovers :-/ (i use the stuff labeled "near zero impurities" its should be good. This white stuff does trouble me though :-/

The buds by the way was JUST harvested i don't know if that means anything? (Not cured atall) i wanted to preserve as many terpenes as possible.

Any advice? My first time pulling, i've been reading up on this for years but only recently have i seen tutorials and methods i trust will leave a pristine product.

L

Listmann

Hmm i tried over again, this time packing in container, little tiny nuggets really well broken up, just losely packed. Let soak for two hours... Nothing... Perhaps a yellow tint in the butane but thats it :-/ i don't get it

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
are you scraping the dish after the butane has evaporated? and you got nothing?

Or are you just dumping the butane because its clear?

L

Listmann

are you scraping the dish after the butane has evaporated? and you got nothing?

Or are you just dumping the butane because its clear?

I am letting evap :) first time off there literally was nothing.

Did three runs now (thermos 3/4 full) 0.5l thermos aprox 15grams or just under an ounce per run. I am now winterizing the little bit i DID get but the buds are still leaving sticky smelly oil on my fingers when squezed hard... :-/ so i am obviously not pulling very mutch from them :-/

Thish is how my dish looked after 1 run.

L

Listmann

This time i froze the buds IN the thermos, pulled the lid off and filled with cooled butane, let soak for atleast two and a half to three hours with the thermos in a cooler to keep everything cold.

I don't know if i am still experiencing a little bit of bud condensation or everything is just too cold (freezer is -18celsius) and should soak longer for it... When i filter off the butane the buds form white rim frost really quickly and they are still frozen through (shatters when squeced)

If it is bud condensation i am experiencing i don't see how to avoid it. Guess next project is a closed loop system.

The little bit i DID get however looks fantastic. But using two ounces grade a bud to get two dabs of shatter/oil can't be normal :-O

L

Listmann

Looking over the buds in a microscope reveals what i suspected... A forest of ripe trichomeheads indicating i am not even close to a sucesfull pull :-( i just don't get it. I have to wait till next harvest to try again i want full preservation of terpenes. This is for my luxury canna cigar project, it has to be perfect or not atall :-DI really hope someone knows what i am doing wrong here.

I want to make a pristine absolute.

Anyways, thelittle bit i had i managed to make a succesfull winterization with... I could rub waxes off the filter after it dried :) So atleast i am getting some experience but i need alot more product :-/ another three month delay on the canna cigar project :-(

The buds will atleast make a nice addition to my ice wash/homemade hash from trimmings and too small buds :-)

Last edited:
L

Listmann

This did NOT just happen!

So i evapped all alcohol in a warm air oven @ 100farenheit. Had more than expected. 4 grames of pristine absolute.

Wanting to purificate it an hour more in the oven, i somehow pressed the wrong button. A smell quickly started to spread. I had hit the microwave button :-O

L

Listmann

But 4 grames doesnt seem like much still... More than i thought but its like 8 percent of my bud only... Is this normal? Like i said theres plenty of fully ripe trichs left on the material...

Well gonna smoke this myself its still pristine and absolutely pure its just decarboxulated and terpenes burned away probably :-/ not gonna work for my canna cigar

P

psilisophic

If you are truly using butane openly and chilling it at atmosphere, then the temps to fulfill that are below the freezing point of water, which will freeze any moisture within the cell walls of the plant matter, essentially locking them in place, that coupled with low agitation produces an inefficient extraction. I recommend that you purchase a simple closed loop system, or contract a machine shop to build you one based on Greywolf's reformat of the Tamisium 175, available on SkunkPharmResearch.com. Butane is nothing to use openly

Top Bottom