How to make Absolute Shatter using a Thermos

• Thread starter Pisces
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
This did NOT just happen!

So i evapped all alcohol in a warm air oven @ 100farenheit. Had more than expected. 4 grames of pristine absolute.

Wanting to purificate it an hour more in the oven, i somehow pressed the wrong button. A smell quickly started to spread. I had hit the microwave button :-O

LOL Woops..

Looks like it really got a head start on that decarb, Hows it taste/effects?

cannakis

cannakis

First off, Big thanks to Graywolf & Jump for all the help, tips, and encouragement over the years.
With it, I have been able to make shatter Safely, with the same consistency for over two years now.

And so i'd like to share my experiences here.

secondly, I encourage safety…and so everything concerning butane is done outside in an open area where there is no electrical outlets, fans, or otherwise until it is safe to bring it indoors. Period!

Absolute Shatter~ Let's get to it!

1) First thing you're gonna need to do is Buy yourself a New(ish) Stainless Steal Thermos.
((Note; The thermos I'm using here in this demonstration is 473ml or 16oz)))

2) Once you've found one, remove the inner plastic liner from inside of the "Stainless Steel Cup Cap", so that absolutely No plastic can possibly leach into your oil upon spraying.
((Note; I had to use a pair of pliers to remove the inner plastic piece….now, once removed, throw it away as you will no longer be needing it.))

3) OK, so once the plastic liner is removed from the Stainless Steel Cup Cap, simply drill three holes into it.
((Note; the center is for spraying and the other two are for passive ventilation so no pressure builds up into the thermos while spraying.))

4) Next, Be sure to cut off the "tip" of the Butane Tip before placing it into the cap.
((Note; This is so the butane fills the thermos up at a much faster rate and before it has the chance to warm up….the idea is to fill up the thermos as quickly as possible before any has a chance to evaporate))

(Note; I drilled the center hole to be the exact same size as the fattest butane tip that I had and used plumbers tape to keep it snug while spraying.)
The other two holes can be slightly smaller but not to small…you don't want to build pressure in the thermos.

View attachment 408029 View attachment 408030 View attachment 408031 View attachment 408032 View attachment 408033
First haven't finished but great read very informative! Thanks so much! Now can I just use a mason jar?!? Or is this too big? What if I used a small one ?

MrKrinkle

MrKrinkle

Pisces,you can't see me,but I'm applauding you.Absolutely one of the easiest laid out tutorials I've ever read.
I don't have access to wax like big cities do.My friends have been getting it since last winter.they've never once offered to hook me up.I didn't ask.I've heard of guys blasting through pvc tubes around here.lulz.dummies.After reading up on all the fucked up ways people are producing wax,I decided I would only smoke what I saw made.After a 5 year break from outdoor grows I decided to grow again solely to learn how to make bho.When I found your forum,I immediately bookmarked it,read and re-read it over 3 months and finally tried doing it last week.I feel it was a success. I've had 2 runs,2nd better than the first,bit of low yields,not great buds(getting some experience before I use my A buds)but overall the shit looks like fire!!!(funny thing is,its been done for 2 days and my pen hasn't showed up in the mail yet!!I haven't even gotten to try it!lol)the bud was pineapple express and I can't wait to throw up both of my wax dripping middle fingers to my homies who never even offered to hook me up.self sufficiency is a great feeling.Pisces,I dont know if youre still active on here,but you're the fucking man.thank you

IMG 20151014 073832232
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Tried pens, they clog, get sticky, big mess. Gonna get me a dab rig as soon as I get some wax.

D

Duder

love this method. I usually get a translucent amber taffy using a glass tube.
When I do it this way it comes out as a white crumble I guess you would call it. Sometimes it has a golden colour depending on material. It is very fragile, I have to be careful when snapping it in half because it breaks almost like glass, into a million little pieces. After an hour in the vac there is no more activity, so it seems like it purges very quickly. I only use a heat mat when purging.
It smells and tastes great. Im just wondering if this is normal?
I also noticed it doesn’t matter how much material I pack in there I always get about the same yield with two cans of tane, around 5.8Gs.
Anyone else every get similar results? Im guessing its from the deep freeze. I can set my freezer to -6.

MrKrinkle

MrKrinkle

OK guys,I've got a couple questions I'm hoping someone will help out with.after the soak of the first run(30 min soak)I've been letting that purge in a pyrex dish on top of a water bath not exceding 115°while the second soak (90 mins)is happening.Then when my 90 min soak time is up,I pour that right into the pyrex dish that contains the first soak(the pyrex dish on a passive hot h20 bath,that ive taken back outside of course).after that has purged long enough,I bring it indoors and purge it more on a pot of water with the water pot being heated by a griddle.never getting above 115° I've been letting that purge sometimes up to 12 hours before I put it in my heated vac.is this overkill?isn't the vac pulling all tane?I like to think that letting it purge before the vac phase is really getting rid of all that tane.I did notice that after I let it purge for 12 hours,there was little reaction in the vac chamber when I pulled.so in a nutshell,is there any benefit to letting it purge(6-12hours)before putting a vac on it?
OK,last question.when I grind my herb,its been a bit powdery.does this make it easier for plant wax/lipids to pass thru my filter? I have not been winterizing due to not having the high proof everclear.not sold in my state.I'm thinking just breaking the buds by hand.thanks

M

Mordru

Hello, I understand this is a real old thread. But it was at the top of my Google-search for greatness (pure shatter). Just wanted to say i have everything I need on order and should be doing my first nug run next week. Been growing for 2.5 yrs now and have always wanted to make my own BHO. Will come back with my results. Thanks!

M

Mordru

By the way, my state doesnt sell the 190 proof but I have found a way to dehydrate the 150 proof and make it a stronger solvent

M

Mordru

As i said, here are my results. I ran 28 grams (1 oz) of TRIM and got 2.05 grams back of nice shatter material. This was my very first try at BHO. Purged under vacuum at ~110F for over 48 hours but could not get rid of these tiny little bubbles throughout it. Tastes pretty good, not rough at all. Im proud id say. Just worried i didnt get enough butane purged out. Also have a winterized run purging. Yield might only be a gram. Yikes. Thank you for the tutorial, it has got me off to a good start.

20170221 200343
20170223 162723
20170223 204157
20170225 221954
20170225 222123
N

newbudder

Hi there,
Can I use diethyl ether instead of butane gas for the extraction or should i avoid doing that?...

D

Dabhead710

Instead of purging the butane off I read on another diy that after you dump it from the thermos you can add the ethanol then and it will purge off the butane and leave just the ethanol to purge....is that recommended or just stick to the way you do...also appreciate the great diy you made

TheOutlier

TheOutlier

Thanks guys…. It really is that easy!

Note; I no longer use Vector Butane anymore because it isn't as clean as a few other brands including Special Blue x7 which I am falling in love with more and more every time I use it.

It is Super clean and leaves no aftertaste behind like Vector products do.
i would assume you tried it but the good ol whippit red can is the best i ever tried. no taste. i also saw a thread somewhere years ago showing the "residue" in actual thousanths of a milligram or some tniy measurement of like 50 brands and the red can whippit was the best or second best but like a shit ton cleaner than vector. i haven't tried the ones you like now but i can attest to good ol whippit brand as the cleanest i've worked with, and fyi the red can is cleaner than their premium, go figure. sometimes you have to try to believe

TheOutlier

TheOutlier

Another good way to winterize is a foam cooler and dry ice, you can blast directly into a mason jar OUTSIDE and put it in there to stay cool for 24-48 hours. Fats and lipids stick to bottom of glass, you can screw a filter on the top of a jar with just the screw part of lid, dump into Pyrex dish and purge like normal.

Just takes the ever clear out of the sitch with the same results. Looks kill!!
you took the alcohol out and added dry ice and a cooler lol.

Erick31876

Erick31876

Great tutorial. I have been looking for one like this for years. Thank you for posting it.

lbezy

lbezy

Well that's a new one . Bravo . I run a 2lb tube with dry ice chamber for dewaxing
May I ask your yield %... it was very 😎 cool process

Top Bottom