How to make these seedlings happier?

• Thread starter Potsquatch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Potsquatch

Potsquatch

First time dealing with seedlings, would love any suggestions or feedback.

The large seedling sprouted about 2 weeks ago, after some germination hiccups (may have dried out the taproot a bit while figuring out the paper towel method, planted anyway, seems to have bounced back). Other two sprouted 8 days ago. All three are in FFOF with PH'd water, no additional nutes. I've been keeping all three under tupperware containers as makeshift domes because the ambient tent RH is 40-50%.

Trying to figure out what the messy leaf edges and splotchy marks are on the big seedling. Guessing heat, and maybe some root issues left over from the botched germination? Tent temps are 70-80°F.

Other two seem fine, possibly a little over/underwatering. The one in the square black pot is bigger with some color variation that might suggest something, smaller one in the round black pot has a consistent bright green color.

Thoughts? Anything I'm doing wrong or could be doing better?

How to make these seedlings happier
How to make these seedlings happier 2
How to make these seedlings happier 3
How to make these seedlings happier 4
Potsquatch

Potsquatch

i would put them in bigger pots and feed them
Based on what?

Bigger seedling is working on its fourth set of leaves, will probably transplant end of week; way too early for the other two, they're still working through their second set of leaves. My understanding is FFOF is ideal for seedlings as-is, no extra food required.

When I do transplant they'll be moving into Roots Organics Lush, which worked great for my last grow from clones with just PH'd water thoughout veg and a bloom topcoat during flower. I hear Lush is way too hot for seedlings, might cut with more FFOF when I move them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lower the light intensity. The rest is good. Your just pushing em a bit to hard.

What light and how close?

Potsquatch

Potsquatch

Lower the light intensity... What light and how close?

Pair of (full spectrum LED) SF-1000's, 23" up at 40% intensity. Measurements work out to ~377 ppfd / 24.5 DLI on an 18/6 schedule. 14-15k lux for anyone keeping score.

Under the domes, that drops to ~250 ppfd / 18.5 DLI, or 11k lux.

Didn't use enough light last time, figured I'd push these a bit to give them whatever they could use.

Potsquatch

Potsquatch

Is that heat mat necessary when the temps are up to 80 degrees?

Can drop to the low 60's without it at night, even with an inverted light schedule (I keep my lights on at night and off during the hottest parts of the day).

What temperatures should I aim for with seedlings? I've seen everything from 60-70 to 70-80.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pair of (full spectrum LED) SF-1000's, 23" up at 40% intensity. Measurements work out to ~377 ppfd / 24.5 DLI on an 18/6 schedule. 14-15k lux for anyone keeping score.

Under the domes, that drops to ~250 ppfd / 18.5 DLI, or 11k lux.

Didn't use enough light last time, figured I'd push these a bit to give them whatever they could use.
Yeah move the light back to around 30-36" and let them recover. Concentrate on good watering practices and new growth will improve.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Can drop to the low 60's without it at night, even with an inverted light schedule (I keep my lights on at night and off during the hottest parts of the day).

What temperatures should I aim for with seedlings? I've seen everything from 60-70 to 70-80.

That seems about right, I keep mine between 70-80 degrees. I don't have cold weather right now, but if I did I probably wouldn't use a heat mat unless it was below 50 degrees, but that's just me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom