How to perfect the process of extraction at home

• Thread starter cronicoldguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I've never gotten anything like that before, I am at a loss.

Throw some heat on a blob external and see what happens. Like a lighter. Does it become liquid and run away? Does it bubble bit stay mostly together?

I can't see this being lipid personally.

That's what I use, how does it compare to yours?

Is it possible this is some sort of grease from the glass fittings?

C

cronicoldguy

I've never gotten anything like that before, I am at a loss.

Throw some heat on a blob external and see what happens. Like a lighter. Does it become liquid and run away? Does it bubble bit stay mostly together?

I can't see this being lipid personally.

That's what I use, how does it compare to yours?

Is it possible this is some sort of grease from the glass fittings?
Thanks for the quick reply Moe!

Grease is the only thing I could think of.

I am using it sparingly. Next round with the rotovap I will go 'greaseless'. I was applying a little grease not only to seal, but so the joints didnt freeze. I had a hard time removing evap flask once.

The batch last night was near end point in rotovap when I noticed the 'shit' again. So I diluted it with fresh solvent, mixed, and put into the freezer over night. I am hoping whatever it is has hardened enough I can pour solution into another flask.

I will clean all traces of grease and run it thru the rotovap again.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks for the quick reply Moe!

Grease is the only thing I could think of.

I am using it sparingly. Next round with the rotovap I will go 'greaseless'. I was applying a little grease not only to seal, but so the joints didnt freeze. I had a hard time removing evap flask once.

The batch last night was near end point in rotovap when I noticed the 'shit' again. So I diluted it with fresh solvent, mixed, and put into the freezer over night. I am hoping whatever it is has hardened enough I can pour solution into another flask.

I will clean all traces of grease and run it thru the rotovap again.
FWIW I don't use grease. You may not need it if the joints are a quality grind.

C

cronicoldguy

FWIW I don't use grease. You may not need it if the joints are a quality grind.
GREASE IT WAS!

Thanks for the help Moe!

I cleaned every trace of grease I could. Took the sub zero solution from freezer and poured it into a clean flask. All the shit stayed inside the frozen flask. Warmed it up and then threw it on the rotovap.

I evaped the bulk off at 50 torr and 40C. Once it was thick and very concentrated, I started lowering the vacuum in slow steps down to 25 torr. From there I purged it until I was satisfied.

I found if purging in the rotovap, it is best to stay around 50 torr until very close to end point and at at least 100 rpm. Then step down pressure and rotary further. I found by doing this, there is less chance of oil bubbling and splattering on side of flask. At end point, I was at 23RPM and 25 TORR.

Here is the same oil from the pics in previous post. This is after running thru rotovap the 2nd time. After it cooled down to 30C, I tipped flask upsidedown. It was so thick, I noticed no movement.

Looking up thru bottom of flask
20230116 205259

Flask much cleaner.
20230116 205227

Oh. And I discovered my rotovap will go down to 25 TORR without grease. lol

Last edited:
DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

What is this type of concentrate called? Sorry for the stupid question lol. I still press flower for heavens sake 🤣

C

cronicoldguy

Purging Everclear from FSO in rotovap. Wont let me embed video

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
wow that’s waaay too much work for that, i can do that without any heat whatsoever for $40 and get 20-30 gms of premium hash oil/wax.. i’m just saying that’s all, not trying to start anything, was interested to see what you did.. good job!..
dry sifting and bubble washing are also considered full spectrum..

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

wow that’s waaay too much work for that, i can do that without any heat whatsoever for $40 and get 20-30 gms of premium hash oil/wax.. i’m just saying that’s all, not trying to start anything, was interested to see what you did.. good job!..
What is too much work? You mean doing ETOH extraction?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I can see why you would think that, but I disagree. This thread makes it seem harder than it is.
ya it’s all good, that’s why i said “im just saying”..
in the end he got what he needs and a way to get it and make it himself..
interesting to watch..

C

cronicoldguy

No offense taken.

I have a vacuum oven I can purge in. Purging in the rotovap was purely an experiment. And a cool one I must say. It was mesmerizing to watch near the end.

I just wanted to see how well ethanol will purge in a rotovap for myself. And I have to say it works very well. Getting the fully purged oil from flask is tedious though. It is actually still in the 250ml flask as the oil is being used up. Pretty expensive storage container. ha ha. I have three 250ml flasks so I can spare one.

Ha ha, here is an idea. Buy them bulk so they are cheap enough I just use a glass cutter to cut it open.

I didnt know dry sifting and bubble washing were considered full spectrum. Thanks. But if you wanted to winterize it to knock out some of the shit, you would be faced with the same task. No?

And as @Moe.Red said, this thread makes it look like more complicated than it is.
I am learning as I go, so this thread is all over the place. Jumping back and forth between topics.

There are less expensive ways to go about ethanol extraction and recovery at home. Been there - done that. I just want to use the proper equipment. Much better chance of success of making a high quality premium oil for myself. This is a hobbie for me as much it is to make my own medicine. It is fun and interesting to use and learn the equipment.
And unlike my PC hobbie, this equipment is good for however long it works. Not obsolete the day after purchase like PC garb. What I have spent on extraction is barely a drop in the bucket compared to what I have spent on PCs over the past years.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
No offense taken.

I have a vacuum oven I can purge in. Purging in the rotovap was purely an experiment. And a cool one I must say. It was mesmerizing to watch near the end.

I just wanted to see how well ethanol will purge in a rotovap for myself. And I have to say it works very well. Getting the fully purged oil from flask is tedious though. It is actually still in the 250ml flask as the oil is being used up. Pretty expensive storage container. ha ha. I have three 250ml flasks so I can spare one.

Ha ha, here is an idea. Buy them bulk so they are cheap enough I just use a glass cutter to cut it open.

I didnt know dry sifting and bubble washing were considered full spectrum. Thanks. But if you wanted to winterize it to knock out some of the shit, you would be faced with the same task. No?

And as @Moe.Red said, this thread makes it look like more complicated than it is.
I am learning as I go, so this thread is all over the place. Jumping back and forth between topics.

There are less expensive ways to go about ethanol extraction and recovery at home. Been there - done that. I just want to use the proper equipment. Much better chance of success of making a high quality premium oil for myself. This is a hobbie for me as much it is to make my own medicine. It is fun and interesting to use and learn the equipment.
And unlike my PC hobbie, this equipment is good for however long it works. Not obsolete the day after purchase like PC garb. What I have spent on extraction is barely a drop in the bucket compared to what I have spent on PCs over the past years.
for sure, be kinda fun working with that equipment.. i wonder what i could create with one of those and my odd brain haha..
really any extraction without the use of heat produces a full spectrum.. or to me whatever terps cannabiniods etc that are still present after harvesting drying and curing..
i’d look into using fresh frozen, with a cold extraction method with your equipment.. forget what it’s called but it can be done.. that would really be a full spectrum, would even be better if you could use isopropyl..
with ethanol there is no way to stop the chlorophyll from getting into your product..
anyhoo fantastic job!..
and thanks for posting all on the farm!!

M

MotaMan4560

Hey all , just poking some brains -- after 42 yrs I'm giving simple extraction a try. I'm at the point of being down to last cup of oil/solvent solution and I am wanting to know at what temp can I keep this mix at without fucking up the THC while getting out last of alcohol out.. I'm using food grade ethanol 200 proof.

I just thought I'd occupy my time - since I have a kiddie pool full of leaf and trimmings I'd thought I'd give extraction a go again... Any input will be helpful.

Thanks
MotaMan

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey all , just poking some brains -- after 42 yrs I'm giving simple extraction a try. I'm at the point of being down to last cup of oil/solvent solution and I am wanting to know at what temp can I keep this mix at without fucking up the THC while getting out last of alcohol out.. I'm using food grade ethanol 200 proof.

I just thought I'd occupy my time - since I have a kiddie pool full of leaf and trimmings I'd thought I'd give extraction a go again... Any input will be helpful.

Thanks
MotaMan
you have the oil in a container that you can put on a coffee warmer for an hour or two.,
they work perfect.. i use it all the time to finish off the oil, though i extract with isopropyl.,

C

cronicoldguy

you have the oil in a container that you can put on a coffee warmer for an hour or two.,
they work perfect.. i use it all the time to finish off the oil, though i extract with isopropyl.,
DONT USE A BUNN COFFEE MAKER!

I did and ended up with the oil boiling all over the fuckin place! LOL

It was in a silicone container. I wasnt watching, but maybe it was because the container wasnt deep enough when oil burping and doing its death throws. I had a sheet of paper towel over it so nothing from coffee maker could drip into it. Paper towel was saturated and all over counter under coffee machine. Lost about 8g oil.

Thanks
MotaMan

Like @GNick55 said, coffee warmer will work. But read above. LOL

If not wanting to decarb at same time, dont let temp get above 100C and you should be good.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, out of whiskey tonight. Everclear is pretty torquey shit.

C

cronicoldguy

TLC

So in my quest of knowledge, it is time to learn Thin Layer Chromatography.

This is something I have been putting off, but need to learn. I am tired of guessing if I left anything behind. Or the potency of my extracts. One dab is a pretty good indication potency. But what did I leave behind? I want numbers.

With that said, I ordered a couple of these kits. I am thinking I will start with these to learn, and then move onto just procuring the components to reduce cost.

This is what I have coming. I am hoping @Moe.Red or someone else in the know, will step in at some point with some guidance. Is this kit any good?
CB Scientific

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

TLC

So in my quest of knowledge, it is time to learn Thin Layer Chromatography.

This is something I have been putting off, but need to learn. I am tired of guessing if I left anything behind. Or the potency of my extracts. One dab is a pretty good indication potency. But what did I leave behind? I want numbers.

With that said, I ordered a couple of these kits. I am thinking I will start with these to learn, and then move onto just procuring the components to reduce cost.

This is what I have coming. I am hoping @Moe.Red or someone else in the know, will step in at some point with some guidance. Is this kit any good?
CB Scientific
Sorry dude not gonna follow that link

F798C60F 7DFA 470E 9B3D FEC98E177269

Top Bottom