How to Properly Fade

• Thread starter damien50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
damien50

damien50

How would I go about properly fading my plants to get that sexy look and a proper finish? Do I reduce my ppms or what else? I've never flushed or tried to fade before and this feels like an excellent grow to do it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This question probably has a few different correct answers. But the biggest thing is just let it finish.

I usually like to feed only water for the last 10 days or so when I know a particular strains exact flower cycle. but I've recently also had decent results tapering off on the feed too and only giving straight water for the last feed. Although the jury is still out on which i prefer. And I think part of it has to do with what nutrients you are using, and how bioavailable it all is in your media, cec, and other variables.

Also, avoid overfeeding. Feed only what the plants can use. I like to keep plants just slightly hungry if anything. Fooked that one up on my last grow too lol.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Done right it's a thing of beauty. This is one of my favourite pics of the fade I got on my bubba cut last fall.

This was taken on chop day after a 14 day flush iirc.

20181003 145046

damien50

damien50

This question probably has a few different correct answers. But the biggest thing is just let it finish.

I usually like to feed only water for the last 10 days or so when I know a particular strains exact flower cycle. but I've recently also had decent results tapering off on the feed too and only giving straight water for the last feed. Although the jury is still out on which i prefer. And I think part of it has to do with what nutrients you are using, and how bioavailable it all is in your media, cec, and other variables.

Also, avoid overfeeding. Feed only what the plants can use. I like to keep plants just slightly hungry if anything. Fooked that one up on my last grow too lol.

I'm in coco feeding my sativas at 880ppm right now during flowering. I'm using pure blend pro hydro, liquid karma, and calmag. My plain water is at 188ppm so I don't think im feeding them much. Strain supposedly goes 11-12 weeks.

for clarification, what do you mean by finishing? In finishing, do trichome colors matter?

beautiful finished plant btw.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm in coco feeding my sativas at 880ppm right now during flowering. I'm using pure blend pro hydro, liquid karma, and calmag. My plain water is at 188ppm so I don't think im feeding them much. Strain supposedly goes 11-12 weeks.

for clarification, what do you mean by finishing? In finishing, do trichome colors matter?

beautiful finished plant btw.

By finishing I mean letting the plant reach full maturity and fully ripen. Even plants fed right till the end will fade as long as they arent overfed and stressed, in that case they just look shyte.

In coco I would start cutting back nutrients when the buds stop plumping up and hairs begin to turn colour and shrink. About week 9 on an 11 week strain. By the time you have almost all cloudy trichs, and most or all of the hairs have shriveled and the calyxs are fully swollen, that's when I would run water only for a week or so.

damien50

damien50

By finishing I mean letting the plant reach full maturity and fully ripen. Even plants fed right till the end will fade as long as they arent overfed and stressed, in that case they just look shyte.

In coco I would start cutting back nutrients when the buds stop plumping up and hairs begin to turn colour and shrink. About week 9 on an 11 week strain. By the time you have almost all cloudy trichs, and most or all of the hairs have shriveled and the calyxs are fully swollen, that's when I would run water only for a week or so.
So basically, I'll re-read this when I'm sober, on a 12 week strain, hypothetically around week 10 I would 1/2 or 1/4 nutrient strength, then week 12 I would plain water them?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So basically, I'll re-read this when I'm sober, on a 12 week strain, hypothetically around week 10 I would 1/2 or 1/4 nutrient strength, then week 12 I would plain water them?

If it is something you've grown before or can absolutely trust the known flowering time, yes that is what I would do. I might even start to taper off the nutes slightly a week or so sooner for those long flowering 11-12 week strains. For a 10 week strain I'd say yeah, taper off week 9 and water only for week 10. But there is room for flexibility within the harvest window also.

Top Bottom