How to root a clone in coco, no rock wool!

• Thread starter NorCalCrop650
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorCalCrop650

NorCalCrop650

Hey everyone, this is my first post but I’m deciding to post this because I couldn’t really find any solid information anywhere else on this. But what I’m talking about is taking a cutting from your cannabis plant and getting it to root, but what if you don’t have rock wool? I was wondering if you could start a clone in coco and perlite, evidence saying it’s possible but not the best, I decided to give it a try and it worked out very well. With this way I’ve noticed I can get the clones to root indoor or outdoor (because I only have 1 indoor setup so if it’s in flower while I’m making some clones I have to leave them outside). But basically you start a clone like you would putting it in rockwool, solid top, 45 degree cut, take off lower nodes and dip in rooting hormones. I then stuck the clone into a solo cup with about 1 part perlite 2-3 parts coco ph at 6. I then put a humidity dome over them and put them in a shady spot outside otherwise they’ll wilt and die quickly, and if indoor try not to give them too much light. I’ve noticed with the coco you only need to spray the clone 1-2 times a day max with ph water and cover them with a humidity dome with some vents open so the clones don’t rot. In a week I had root development strong enough holding the clone into the cup, another week and they’re ready for transplant. Hope this helps, respond with any questions because I’m typing this baked as hell so I might have left something out. But I also noticed way less transplant shock with this method!

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey everyone, this is my first post but I’m deciding to post this because I couldn’t really find any solid information anywhere else on this. But what I’m talking about is taking a cutting from your cannabis plant and getting it to root, but what if you don’t have rock wool? I was wondering if you could start a clone in coco and perlite, evidence saying it’s possible but not the best, I decided to give it a try and it worked out very well. With this way I’ve noticed I can get the clones to root indoor or outdoor (because I only have 1 indoor setup so if it’s in flower while I’m making some clones I have to leave them outside). But basically you start a clone like you would putting it in rockwool, solid top, 45 degree cut, take off lower nodes and dip in rooting hormones. I then stuck the clone into a solo cup with about 1 part perlite 2-3 parts coco ph at 6. I then put a humidity dome over them and put them in a shady spot outside otherwise they’ll wilt and die quickly, and if indoor try not to give them too much light. I’ve noticed with the coco you only need to spray the clone 1-2 times a day max with ph water and cover them with a humidity dome with some vents open so the clones don’t rot. In a week I had root development strong enough holding the clone into the cup, another week and they’re ready for transplant. Hope this helps, respond with any questions because I’m typing this baked as hell so I might have left something out. But I also noticed way less transplant shock with this method!
Works fine , unless you are in extreme cold or dry , then a dome and heat pad are a great help .....

Madbud

Madbud

887FF8B5 B0BF 45B6 A365 3AF6A2F70FDA

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
I like using jets and bubbler in jars with Phed and filtered water. My recent clones popped roots in 3.5 days in rapid rooters in a dome + rooting hormone. They were pulled from a plant @2 weeks in flower.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Kratky bottles with baskets of coco and half strength nutes
20200615 162537

8 days from clip. I've had to add nute water once. Water level about 1/4" above bottom of basket until roots develop.

420trout

420trout

My girl and I were cutting clones a while back and had more than we wanted to stick into rapid rooters. So she decided to experiment. Some in rapid rooters with clonex, some in straight coco coir with clonex, then to save space a fist full into a small (pint) mason jar with a little clonex mixed with water, and a fist full into another jar with just water. All ways produced clones. Only the rapid rooters clones went into the dome with a heat pad. The rest just sat on the floor of the grow tent. I made sure the ones in the jars were on a heat mat just to give them an edge. I will say I only got 2 or 3 usable clones from the water only jar. The jar with water and clonex was probably 75-80 viable clones. I now have an over abundance and don't know what the heck I will even do with them? I have thought about potting a bunch (16-20) into one gallon plastic bag pots and doing a SOG, lollipopped cola only type grow. Even then I will not use them all. I just moved from the country into a my girl's place in the city. If I were back at my house I would stick them all out into the back field and get ready for a huge fall harvest. Here in the city I am looking for sneaky gorilla grow type places I could put some out. What do you all do with extra clones?

dire wolf

dire wolf

My girl and I were cutting clones a while back and had more than we wanted to stick into rapid rooters. So she decided to experiment. Some in rapid rooters with clonex, some in straight coco coir with clonex, then to save space a fist full into a small (pint) mason jar with a little clonex mixed with water, and a fist full into another jar with just water. All ways produced clones. Only the rapid rooters clones went into the dome with a heat pad. The rest just sat on the floor of the grow tent. I made sure the ones in the jars were on a heat mat just to give them an edge. I will say I only got 2 or 3 usable clones from the water only jar. The jar with water and clonex was probably 75-80 viable clones. I now have an over abundance and don't know what the heck I will even do with them? I have thought about potting a bunch (16-20) into one gallon plastic bag pots and doing a SOG, lollipopped cola only type grow. Even then I will not use them all. I just moved from the country into a my girl's place in the city. If I were back at my house I would stick them all out into the back field and get ready for a huge fall harvest. Here in the city I am looking for sneaky gorilla grow type places I could put some out. What do you all do with extra clones?
Hard to say it but , extra clones go in the trash can

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

This "hobby" of ours can quickly get out of hand. Just pot the best of the best clones but not just by size and growth rate as males seem to grow bigger, faster.

As you gain experience you'll learn what to look for in a clone or seedling. Main thing is to enjoy the grow and keep trying new things. Just look what you've learned about cloning😉

Latest posts

Top Bottom