How to Sereprate roots of 2 plants for a transplant from hydro to soil

• Thread starter Newtothis89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newtothis89

Newtothis89

I'm curious.. totally new to this and I'm trying to learn and I know it's trail and error .. so if I decide to transplant from hydro to soil ... But the roots look like it's intertwined with another plants roots how do I sereprate them or is it impossible?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I'm curious.. totally new to this and I'm trying to learn and I know it's trail and error .. so if I decide to transplant from hydro to soil ... But the roots look like it's intertwined with another plants roots how do I sereprate them or is it impossible?
I am about to run into this problem I imagine. I will use my fingers to separate to the best of my ability. Then I'll start using my finger nails and cutting them off one at a time until free lol..

I'm lazy and they will grow back lol.. I'm a rookie though.. Might wanna wait on an expert.

gristle

gristle

Uproot the plants from what media they are in. Get a large tote full of water and submerge the root mass while holding a stem in each hand. Start with a slow up/down motion while gently pulling apart. The soil will start to fall and roots will somewhat suspend allowing them to separate. You may have to add some twisting and pulling gently at different angles.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Uproot the plants from what media they are in. Get a large tote full of water and submerge the root mass while holding a stem in each hand. Start with a slow up/down motion while gently pulling apart. The soil will start to fall and roots will somewhat suspend allowing them to separate. You may have to add some twisting and pulling gently at different angles.
Hes going from hydro to soil

gristle

gristle

Gotcha. Same principle for all media I would assume. Exception being aero or dwc. At that point I would get a bit of separation under water and then just cut roots down the middle. I agree, not something I would make a practice but if I had to do it...
I have done this with geophytes numerous times soil to soil with no problems. The same but different.

Top Bottom