how to set temp and RH for drying ( problem )

• Thread starter benjones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

benjones

evening all. i will be cutting down a few plants soon ( possibly tomorrow )

from what i have read i should have RH% at around 55-60 and temps about 60f - 65f .

my problem is that when i set the air con to 18c the humidity goes down to around 43% .

so i can either leave the air con off and just use the natural weather and have a high humidity of 55-65 and temps at about 25c-28c ( lower at night ) , or i can have lower temps at 18c with AC but lower humidity .

what would be the better option ?

thanks

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Imo 25-28c is going to be wayy too hot. You may want to invest in a humidifier to bump the humidity up to around 60 when the ac is on.

I dried one harvest at 72-75 one summer cause my ac broke, it dried in like 4 or 5 days, tasted horrible, smoked rough.

I think youll be better off with the 18c and humidifier or no humidifier. Over running 25-28. Thats pretty warm.

B

benjones

thanks for replying @Goodshit97 . i will go with the 18c . hopefully i should be able to buy a humidifier over here

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

thanks for replying @Goodshit97 . i will go with the 18c . hopefully i should be able to buy a humidifier over here
Youve prolly said it numerous times, but where you located? I know it's not in the states

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Take it from me who just dried a harvest without AC and high temps. Though my high is good…the smoke is harsh and not nearly as smooth as I’d like. My next drying conditions will be better. I believe an AC, humidifier and good air exhaust and lower fans not hitting the plant should be plenty to get you the conditions you’re after. There are controllers by AC infinity that you can set automation thresholds or ink bird has a humidity controller that you can hook up to an ANALOG humidifier to kick on when humidity drops too low. Best of luck with your harvest and drying!

B

benjones

thanks @SchwiftyGrower . i have 2 mars hydro fans with controllers so i will try and set them up .

do i point the oscillating fan at a wall ( never at the plants ) which should get air moving around the room ?

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
thanks @SchwiftyGrower . i have 2 mars hydro fans with controllers so i will try and set them up .

do i point the oscillating fan at a wall ( never at the plants ) which should get air moving around the room ?
Correct, never at the plants, at the wall is preferred. You want to see the plants slowly moving from the movement of the air and may even feel a very small air movement through the plant but direct air should never hit the plants.

If you’re forced with low humidity ive heard it’s best to whole plant hang even with the large fan leaves to keep humidity levels a bit higher for a longer period.

If you dry too fast, you can always put them together in a bin for a day to get the humidity up a bit to slow down the drying process.

It’s a delicate game and it’s hard to master and IMO one of the hardest parts of a successful grow.

This is just advice I’ve read and seen but nothing I’ve mastered. I just got back into growing and even back in the day my conditions sucked.

But like you, I’m determined to get it right! My next harvest is set for sometime middle of feb and I’m determined to have my conditions right this time.

B

benjones

Right on man, i thought maybe i could help ya out but i feel itd be like months before a humidifier made it to you from the states.
cheers for the thought mate

is something like this ok ?

deerma f628s ultrasonic air humidifier

B

benjones

Correct, never at the plants, at the wall is preferred. You want to see the plants slowly moving from the movement of the air and may even feel a very small air movement through the plant but direct air should never hit the plants.

If you’re forced with low humidity ive heard it’s best to whole plant hang even with the large fan leaves to keep humidity levels a bit higher for a longer period.

If you dry too fast, you can always put them together in a bin for a day to get the humidity up a bit to slow down the drying process.

It’s a delicate game and it’s hard to master and IMO one of the hardest parts of a successful grow.

This is just advice I’ve read and seen but nothing I’ve mastered. I just got back into growing and even back in the day my conditions sucked.

But like you, I’m determined to get it right! My next harvest is set for sometime middle of feb and I’m determined to have my conditions right this time.
i have the temps set in the drying room at about 23c-24c and the humidity is about 45-50 , so it isn't too bad . i will have to do a test and see what the RH is when i drop the temperature to 18c

Madmax

Madmax

50 is great at beginning of drying.then In the following days return to 55-62 anywhere in between there is good ..temp 15-22 deg .ideal is 60-60 after the first day or 2 …at 50% it helps kick the dry process into gear and gets you through a critical stage where mold can start....I always wet trim ,seems your rh is low you could take all the big leaves off and leave the rest to help slow the dry..

Last edited:
Top Bottom