How to size a Lung Room?

• Thread starter ComfortablyNumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have plans for a 4x4 x 8ft high. What size does my lung room need to be to handle the exchange smoothly?
If it's too small, then it will be running full out trying to keep up. Too much, and it's wasting energy.
Recommendations? Any Pro HVAC? Feel free to help out.

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Guess it really depends on the efficiency of the lung room... What you can afford really, personally I would just grow some extra plants.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

4x4 (16sqft) x 8 feet tall = 128cuft
So I need to move 128 cubic feet of air every minute maybe? Will a 6 inch tube handle that kind of airflow? Will it need a fan?
Guessing:
6 inch tube =.5 cuft per second
128 cuft / 60 seconds in a minute = 2.13 cuft/second.
so, it would take 2 minutes to change out the air. a 12 inch would bring it to 1 min.
Add a fan, and those numbers can change big time. If I use the coanda effect, I can get 10X the power I use on the fan.
Push it thru a thin heat exchanger run by peltier devices on a solar panel battery, the whole exchange should be able to happen in a 12 inch cooling system that zig zags down the outside of the tent using the peliter devices all the way down to condense the water and cool the air before it goes back into the tent.
Back the system up with a 12 pack of galvanic jars and you should never have to plug in a fan or a/c or dehuey.

Would that make it worth figuring this out?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
4x4 (16sqft) x 8 feet tall = 128cuft
So I need to move 128 cubic feet of air every minute maybe? Will a 6 inch tube handle that kind of airflow? Will it need a fan?
Guessing:
6 inch tube =.5 cuft per second
128 cuft / 60 seconds in a minute = 2.13 cuft/second.
so, it would take 2 minutes to change out the air. a 12 inch would bring it to 1 min.
Add a fan, and those numbers can change big time. If I use the coanda effect, I can get 10X the power I use on the fan.
Push it thru a thin heat exchanger run by peltier devices on a solar panel battery, the whole exchange should be able to happen in a 12 inch cooling system that zig zags down the outside of the tent using the peliter devices all the way down to condense the water and cool the air before it goes back into the tent.
Back the system up with a 12 pack of galvanic jars and you should never have to plug in a fan or a/c or dehuey.

Would that make it worth figuring this out?
Dude that sounded like you were explaining the functions of the Rockwell retro encabulator.

Vented lung room I take it? You lost me with the description but I'm really curious to know wtf you're talking about.

Great video for anyone who hasn't seen it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Of course you've seen those little 'dorm refrigerators' that have no freon or compressors.
They use peltier devices. Reverse thermocouples. you can put one on a peice of metal ductwork and the metal will get hot or cold depending on polarity.
These tiny devices can cool some zigzag pipes enough to condense the water from the air while cooling it.

Ever see those 'bladeless' fans? Using the same principle, I can get 10X the airflow. Pushing air thru a freezing spiral of pipe. Drip pan at the bottom and the cool, drier air goes back into the tent.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Of course you've seen those little 'dorm refrigerators' that have no freon or compressors.
They use peltier devices. Reverse thermocouples. you can put one on a peice of metal ductwork and the metal will get hot or cold depending on polarity.
These tiny devices can cool some zigzag pipes enough to condense the water from the air while cooling it.

Ever see those 'bladeless' fans? Using the same principle, I can get 10X the airflow. Pushing air thru a freezing spiral of pipe. Drip pan at the bottom and the cool, drier air goes back into the tent.
A nearly closed system.

Top Bottom