How to store seeds for a long time?

• Thread starter pimpin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
whats your best advice on storing ur beans for long periodsof time and why:cool0041:

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
I just recently learned to use lil white rice.. I also heard to store them in the fridge vs the freezer.. maybe one of them fine breeders and seeders will advise mo better...

K

kill-9

I store them in plastic vials and little fuse boxes. Label them/transfer the sticker label onto the box/vial, throw some rice and the seeds in there, close it and put them in a little cardboard pencil box to block out the light and stick in the fridge.

K

Karma Genetics

I pack in plastic vails and then vacuum packed in a dark box in the fridge.

Also got a freezer stash but these will only come out when used. They are packed the same. In my opinion you can only freeze them once.

B

Beeronymous

what about little dime baggies then put that in a pill bottle(with lid on) then in a box?

B

bicycle racer

i use glass vials labeled with the strain kept in a plastic container with silica gel packs for moisture removal like those found with vitamins etc... in the fridge not the freezer.

K

kill-9

Ever since this site, I got much more seeds, I used a weekly pill dispenser. It's mostly for old folk and it's a row of individual boxes for the days of the week.

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
pimpin, and anyone else, We just started some seeds...old seeds Humbolt Select seeds from reeferman seeds. Out of 6 seeds put in water , we got 6 plants up !! RM#28... Seeds were stored in Really Raw honey ,(the small ones)jars, then inside locking ceramic jar...that seals! Then into the fridge !! That is it !! Will be keeping you up dated as we start some older seeds!! Hope this helps !! monkey5

I

idol902

I've heard to put them in something that can be sealed like a masons jar and then put one of those little packets you get with shoes and stuff to suck in any unwanted humidity. Not sure if this is correct but just what I have in my brain for some reason.

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
monkey what do you mean as in really raw honey and the small ones

T

the Rock

i keep mine in glass vials in my safe, couldnt get any darker or safer

K

kingj73

Keep them in pill bottles vacummed sealed with desicant outside of the bottle stored in the fridge crisper drawer. I have had 5yr old seeds go 90%

KJ

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
pimpin, the "really raw" honey jars ...Really Raw is the brand name of honey... that come in sizes of the jars you want are the small ones... then inside those ceramic locking top sealing jars !! Works great !!! In the refridgerator veg crisper drawer! Hope this helps you !! monkey5

S

snowkitty

Great post, pimpin. I searched on this same question and came across your post. I have decided that when I invest in seeds the optimal way to store them is in paper envelopes from the seed company, in a sealed Tupperware container with loose rice in it, in the fridge. Freezing seems too risky to me. Here is an article which addresses this topic. At the end, the author mentions storing up to 5 years using these methods:

How to store Marijuana seeds Cannabis seed storage
Storing your Marijuana Seeds for Optimal Germination Rates!

There will always be debate as to whether marijuana seeds should be stored in a cold environment, or simply in a cool, dry and dark place. While I believe in storing marijuana seeds in a fridge or freezer, this does not mean that I believe that reasonable success cannot be achieved with other methods. This is just the way I do it guys and gals.

A seed is a living thing, and when you put it into a cold environment, the life cycle of the seed slows down. This also means that the degradation slows which in turn means that your seed will last longer than it normally would in an environment where the life cycle of the seed continues at it's normal pace....it's why we put fruit and veg and herbs in the fridge...it slows down the life cycle and the decay, it's the same principle.

What to do
Get yourself an airtight container, eg: small Tupperware container, film canisters (which are ideal as they also block out any light) and place either a small amount of uncooked rice or loose/bagged silica crystals on the bottom of your container, these are both forms of desiccants which will soak up any moisture humidity around the marijuana seeds. You can use plastic baggies or envelopes to store your marijuana seeds. I prefer envelopes as they will allow any moisture that has been trapped around the marijuana seeds to be drawn out by the desiccant. Specially designed seed envelopes are available at some nurseries and local seed saver organizations.

I also like to label the bags/envelopes with strain, quantity and date received to make sorting easier. Put them in either your fridge or freezer....humidity/moisture and light are the enemies! Also, write a little inventory of what seeds you have so you don't need to keep the marijuana seeds out of the cool environment for too long.

Below is a guide taken from a local seed saver networks site that shows the effect of cooler temperatures on marijuana seeds.

"TEMPERATURE AND RELATIVE HUMIDITY OF STORAGE ENVIRONMENT
Temperature and Relative Humidity are the most important factors affecting seed quality during storage. Relative humidity is the more important of these. marijuana seeds are hypocrisies, they absorb moisture from wet atmospheres and dry out in dry atmospheres. Seed storage life is doubled for each 1% decrease in moisture content.

The problems of maintaining seed germination increase with seed moisture content.
This can be generalized as follows:

Seed moisture above:

1. 40-60% - germination occurs
2. 18-20% - heating may occur
3. 12-14% - fungi grown on and in seed
4. 8- 9% - insects become active and reproduce

Heating is caused by the respiration of cannabis seeds, of fungi and bacteria in and on the seed, and of insect populations, which
may build up rapidly in a moist environment. High temperature and high moisture will kill cannabis seeds rapidly as will invasion of microorganisms and insects.

Seed storage life is doubled for each 5¡ C reduction in storage temperature.
Refrigeration to at least 5¡ C is desirable (this is slightly warmer than domestic fridges).
The cooler the temperature the more slowly seed vitality declines. This rule apparently continues to apply even at temperatures below freezing. At 5¡ C and below, insects become inactive."

I have heard reports of cannabis seeds stored in this manner being germinated with high success rates after 5 years of storage. Whether or not that is attainable for everybody or every seed will most likely be unknown until we gather ourselves
a little data, but I believe that this is the best way to make that stash last longer.

thinman

thinman

i've successfully germinated seeds that were over 10 years old. i use a "lock 'n seal" tupperware type container with loose rice spread about 1/2" deep....in the crisper part of the fridge (very bottom). i wrap duct tape around the comtainer to hiide the contents from curious types, and to ensure darkness when the door is opened.

L

Lucy Diamond

Good info here....is there any disadvantage to using rice vs. dessicant?

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Good question Lucy.
I have only used rice:passingjoint:

Latest posts

Top Bottom