How to tell when to harvest if you don't have a loupe, or Don't rely solely on trichomes

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Minitiger

Minitiger

We've all seen them, the threads asking, "Is she done yet?" or "Is she ready?" The vast majority of farmers are well familiar with using trichomes as the gauge for figuring out when to harvest their crop. Hopefully the newbies have gone through the two DJ Short threads posted up in this forum by Texas Kid. While everyone's at it, read this quick primer to help round out the harvest window picture for you.

Those who've got enough grows with enough strains under their belts are going to know that not all strains' trichomes will change color in the 'usual' manner, and in fact some strains trichomes will never change color until after harvesting. I've run strains on which the trichomes never got cloudy, they went from clear to amber, and I've run strains with purple trichomes that never got cloudy or amber.

And so, to that end, I'm doing another one of my threads to discuss what other metrics can be used to tell when a lady should be harvested.

Don't rely solely on trichomes for harvesting.

1: Pistils. Is she throwing out tons of new pistils, or is she just popping a few whities here and there, mostly at the tops of the buds, with an overall red appearance? If still popping out a lot of new pistils, she may have a little longer to go just yet.

2: Buds. Are they still growing noticeably, or does it seem they've stopped growing? If still growing noticeably, the plant has more time left to go. Don't shortchange yourself by getting impatient for the chop!

3: Appearance. Does the plant have an autumnal appearance? Especially once the major fan leaves begin yellowing, then you know you're nearing that finish line. This may be a more or less reliable metric depending on how you feed. Many folks continue pushing N long into flower, possibly all the way through, depending on their fertilizing regimen, and that can cause the plants to retain an overall bright green coloration. That makes this metric a little less reliable if taken on its own.

4: Water/fertilizer consumption. If it's still taking in a lot of water, it's still transpiring actively, which would suggest it's still growing actively. If it's still 'eating' as it was during the earlier phases of flower, then again, she likely still has some time. If it seems to have stopped drinking and eating, as some put it, then it's likely done.​

Now, add these other metrics to trichomes and you'll know when your girls are done and how you want to handle them. :)

Gettin' to be about that time, so I decided to check this forum out. Good info. Got my loupe yesterday, just cuz my Apollos are looking close to done, which is shocking considering it hasn't even been six weeks. Anyway, yeah, good info. Big surprise.... Haha.

C

CannaBlaster

Is a 60x eye loupe better than a 100x horticulture microscope? My micro is what I have always used but its kinda hard to use especially while trying to check buds vertically while still on a plant. If a loupe is better, where is the best place to get one?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is a 60x eye loupe better than a 100x horticulture microscope? My micro is what I have always used but its kinda hard to use especially while trying to check buds vertically while still on a plant. If a loupe is better, where is the best place to get one?
I personally don't like to use a loupe any stronger than 10x, otherwise the field of view is too tight to get an overall idea of trichome development. But it's good to have more with various magnification than fewer I would say. For example, you'd need that 100x to scope out broad mites.

All that said, the whole point of my thread was how to tell when to harvest without a loupe. It's been quite a few years since I've used a loupe to tell when to harvest using these methods. :)

C

CannaBlaster

I personally don't like to use a loupe any stronger than 10x, otherwise the field of view is too tight to get an overall idea of trichome development. But it's good to have more with various magnification than fewer I would say. For example, you'd need that 100x to scope out broad mites.

All that said, the whole point of my thread was how to tell when to harvest without a loupe. It's been quite a few years since I've used a loupe to tell when to harvest using these methods. :)
Right, I use several methods to determine harvest time but I also like to get a good close look at the trichs as well because many strains can be determined by trichs alone. I wouldnt think a 10x would allow one to see the trichomes close enough to determine color. I like to harvest soon as I see one or two amber trichs as long as the rest are cloudy. Providing the strain im growing turns colors. Too many amber trichs and the thc turns to cbn. I go by trich color, hairs, water/nute consumption, and new bud rate. BUT if all the trichs are cloudy and I see ANY ambers I chop. Yes, my 100x is perfect for scoping mites, mold, and disease. Healthy plants and ideal environment however wont contain contaminates.

Lovelylisa

Lovelylisa

We've all seen them, the threads asking, "Is she done yet?" or "Is she ready?" The vast majority of farmers are well familiar with using trichomes as the gauge for figuring out when to harvest their crop. Hopefully the newbies have gone through the two DJ Short threads posted up in this forum by Texas Kid. While everyone's at it, read this quick primer to help round out the harvest window picture for you.

Those who've got enough grows with enough strains under their belts are going to know that not all strains' trichomes will change color in the 'usual' manner, and in fact some strains trichomes will never change color until after harvesting. I've run strains on which the trichomes never got cloudy, they went from clear to amber, and I've run strains with purple trichomes that never got cloudy or amber.

And so, to that end, I'm doing another one of my threads to discuss what other metrics can be used to tell when a lady should be harvested.

1: Pistils. Is she throwing out tons of new pistils, or is she just popping a few whities here and there, mostly at the tops of the buds, with an overall red appearance? If still popping out a lot of new pistils, she may have a little longer to go just yet.

2: Buds. Are they still growing noticeably, or does it seem they've stopped growing? If still growing noticeably, the plant has more time left to go. Don't shortchange yourself by getting impatient for the chop!

3: Appearance. Does the plant have an autumnal appearance? Especially once the major fan leaves begin yellowing, then you know you're nearing that finish line. This may be a more or less reliable metric depending on how you feed. Many folks continue pushing N long into flower, possibly all the way through, depending on their fertilizing regimen, and that can cause the plants to retain an overall bright green coloration. That makes this metric a little less reliable if taken on its own.

4: Water/fertilizer consumption. If it's still taking in a lot of water, it's still transpiring actively, which would suggest it's still growing actively. If it's still 'eating' as it was during the earlier phases of flower, then again, she likely still has some time. If it seems to have stopped drinking and eating, as some put it, then it's likely done.​

Now, add these other metrics to trichomes and you'll know when your girls are done and how you want to handle them. :)
Great information thank you. I knew that it was something else than the trichomes I to had a plant where they didn't turn.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Great info many thanks. :-)

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Some one once said to me that when they reach the time of highest resin content, they stop smelling completely for about 24 hrs and then stink with a vengence, this is the time to pull them. This person said that the plant realises its coming to its end and stops in a kind of suspended animation and then lets it all go for its final stint. Don't know how true that is, as i've had a lot of conversations in the past and heard plenty of believable stuff that turned out to be total crap. :-( This is my first indoor grow so i would'nt know by experience.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Hostility from whom? I'll clean that shit up, don't need it clogging a good thread.

I have to admit, she does look pretty close to done. I'd let her go another week, see how she behaves.

Not I, I am nowhere nearly that good. But thank you for thinking of me! :)
Modesty eh Sea pmsl ive seen most expert growers on here seek your advice lol :-)

Top Bottom