How To Transport 2-4 Foot Plants Befor They Flower

• Thread starter Kilok9t9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kilok9t9

Kilok9t9

I am doing my first grow in my backyard they now have grown quite tall they are about 2-4 feet tall. I need to transport them threw one side of town to the other end "the outskirts" where I have a few others that haven't been touched and have had no pest problems and good lighting so I know the area is good cause I'v been testing it with 4 plants for a month or so.... now I want to move about 10 more to that location how should I move that many plants with as little stress possible??? I do own "an suv" like vehicle but I could probably fit 3-4 max in it with seats removed.. so that's out of the question I don't have a hitch and don't want to spend the 100-300$ on installing one so I thought maby renting a small uhaul any other ideas??? I am moving these cause my neighbors have children and have family over and I don't need them stolen or any other unwanted issues we all know that not everybody understands the things we do and so people tend to over react over the littlest situations.!! so my motto is "outa sight outa mind" and "karma is a b1tch" meaning do what you need to on your own and tell no body to have as little issues as possible even if your doing things completely legal ...

How to transport 2 4 foot plants befor they flower
Last edited:
Stumpy420

Stumpy420

If you need to cover them put a black trash bag over the top of them. If it's just you moving them you can put one or two in the front seats. That should clear up some room. But they will be fine so long as they don't fall over or you don't snap off a bunch of main branches.

MrRojos

MrRojos

No $$ for a uhaul ,no hitch, no friends with a van? Your either gonna have to hijack a suitable vehicle or make multiple runs with your suv..
Black garbage bags work but can have I'll affects if not done right. You should get 4 poles that are slightly taller than your plants and tape them to your containers so it creates some space between the bag and your plants once you cover with bag. Tomato trellis type contraption would work to create space between bag and plant.

Lovelylisa

Lovelylisa

No $$ for a uhaul ,no hitch, no friends with a van? Your either gonna have to hijack a suitable vehicle or make multiple runs with your suv..
Black garbage bags work but can have I'll affects if not done right. You should get 4 poles that are slightly taller than your plants and tape them to your containers so it creates some space between the bag and your plants once you cover with bag. Tomato trellis type contraption would work to create space between bag and plant.
Glad you told him I was pitchering him throughing black garbage bags over them and running with it.. Lol

Stumpy420

Stumpy420

That's how I moved them when I moved. I put these really tall bags over then and stood them up in the minivan. Stakes will help keep the weight of the bag from breaking branches.

Kilok9t9

Kilok9t9

Glad you told him I was pitchering him throughing black garbage bags over them and running with it.. Lol
Lol!!!! Yea I have seen some crazy things in my time and I'm young but that would be a dare devil to run down Canadian streets with garbage bags over 3-4 foot plants lol I would have smokers following me for miles lol they smell quiet potent already ..... And I did say I figured a small uhaul was the best option I was wondering if there was other ideas cause driving threw the city with an suv seems like a very bad idea or at least a last resort lol but I figured a u haul would do the trick ... This was my first time growing so I didn't think all the seeds would germinate but all 23 did they were 1 year old and some were 2 years old ... Anyways they all are showing female calyx nearly other then a few so now I'm worried that they are pre flowering I heard they will double in size even more come harvest time ... As you can see in pics they are already 2-4 feet tall and my backyard fence is about 5ft tall so I' guess I'm screwed and only have the options to move locations or give/destroy my babies... My intentions were to give some away but I feel quiet attached to these seeing I was on hands and knees daily at first and I have done soooo much research I have had a lot of fun doing this so I don't want to ruin or cause as little stress as possible cause I don't want them going hermi it's bad enough they are bag seeds so it will be hard to tell if they naturally turned... or if it was my fault .... Once again thank everybody for there inputs I have learned a lot from the experienced users . I have incorporated many of your ideas to my methods and practices and I have noticed a difference...

Lovelylisa

Lovelylisa

Lol!!!! Yea I have seen some crazy things in my time and I'm young but that would be a dare devil to run down Canadian streets with garbage bags over 3-4 foot plants lol I would have smokers following me for miles lol they smell quiet potent already ..... And I did say I figured a small uhaul was the best option I was wondering if there was other ideas cause driving threw the city with an suv seems like a very bad idea or at least a last resort lol but I figured a u haul would do the trick ... This was my first time growing so I didn't think all the seeds would germinate but all 23 did they were 1 year old and some were 2 years old ... Anyways they all are showing female calyx nearly other then a few so now I'm worried that they are pre flowering I heard they will double in size even more come harvest time ... As you can see in pics they are already 2-4 feet tall and my backyard fence is about 5ft tall so I' guess I'm screwed and only have the options to move locations or give/destroy my babies... My intentions were to give some away but I feel quiet attached to these seeing I was on hands and knees daily at first and I have done soooo much research I have had a lot of fun doing this so I don't want to ruin or cause as little stress as possible cause I don't want them going hermi it's bad enough they are bag seeds so it will be hard to tell if they naturally turned... or if it was my fault .... Once again thank everybody for there inputs I have learned a lot from the experienced users . I have incorporated many of your ideas to my methods and practices and I have noticed a difference...
I would go uhaul forsure, if it's not a grow friendly town one really would not want to attract attention. Uhaul would be great in the morning so it's still cool. And yes summer solstice just passed so if you can get those Ladies in the ground without them turning on you. yes hun you can have a healthy harvest.

BudBogart

BudBogart

You might want to read up on topping your plants to keep them short and make them bushy. You could top them before you move them, make it a bit easier. I have one plant 3 1/2 feet tall and 6 foot wide, not hard to do.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I get the jumbo paper lawn mulch bags from home depot, put the plant in it, tape it tight around the pot, and cut the plant back or fold it over so it's not poking out the top. Sometimes I'll put another one upside down over the top. Doesn't look nearly as sketchy as the black trash bags and is how plants are actually transported to garden centers. Just make sure you're sliding the plant into the bag and not the other way around, go "with the grain" of the plant and you can actually get a monster bush into a relatively small bag.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

as far as transport ~ don't be a pussy use your SUV. Even if it takes multiple trips. Don't rent a u-haul unless you can 100% for sure clean the smell out - veg plants definitely still have a stank. IDK what the laws are like where you live but even in Colorado U-haul gets pissed about their trucks smelling like weed and will charge the shit out of you/threaten to call the cops. I've even ozonated and they've complained.

N

Nog

"Lol!!!! Yea I have seen some crazy things in my time and I'm young but that would be a dare devil to run down Canadian streets with garbage bags over 3-4 foot plants lol "

I have taken a plant in a cardboard box on the train with me, just sat it on the seat next to me.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Uhaul is a no no for the reasons @We Solidarity mentioned. Use your SUV and follow the others suggestions. You should be golden. You could use Uhaul many years ago and we did, but things have changed and they will hassle you if you leave a dankity dank smell behind. And remember they have your credit card and billing info if they need to access it.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Man I've moved 20 big ass 5 rooters in my Chevy malibu back in the day with nothing but those yard bags wesolidarity is talkn bout it tool me 4 trips threw 4 counties never had an issue I had 3 in the back seat one in the front and 2 in the trunk laying down

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Maybe put them in trash cans and move them 1 or two at a time? The plants are pretty resilient and as long as roots don't get messed up theyll be fine. A friend recently delivered me three 6 footers in the back seat of a Prius. Tied the foliage like a Christmas tree and laid them down sideways. They're now 8' and growing daily.
My vote goes for uhaul if you don't want them in your suv. You can get a van for 20$ a day. Make sure you wedge them in so they don't move though. What you don't want is for them to fall over and roll around. Sweep it out before returning. I've fit 60 1 gallon girls in the van with room to spare and drove them 200 miles back to my farm. I've also fit 50 six foot 20 gallon smart pots in the back a 26 foot uhaul and drove them almost as far. And from the looks of your plants, 2 trips in a suv would probably do it. Water them before you move them. Black plastic bags over the top like mentioned above. Keep the a/c on but no big deal if you don't have a/c. A long hot drive will stress them but they'll be fine if unless it's like 120+ degrees inside. Darkness in a bag for a couple hours won't make them flower. It's the amount of uninterrupted darkness that makes them flower, not how many consecutive hours of light. All in all, it's not much to worry about. Make sure your tail lights and brake lights work. Obey all traffic laws. the plants will make it as long as you do.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

For the record, I'm in California where lots of people use uhaul to move plants and dirt. I've never heard a complaint about smell, only dirt left behind.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Maybe put them in trash cans and move them 1 or two at a time? The plants are pretty resilient and as long as roots don't get messed up theyll be fine. A friend recently delivered me three 6 footers in the back seat of a Prius. Tied the foliage like a Christmas tree and laid them down sideways. They're now 8' and growing daily.
My vote goes for uhaul if you don't want them in your suv. You can get a van for 20$ a day. Make sure you wedge them in so they don't move though. What you don't want is for them to fall over and roll around. Sweep it out before returning. I've fit 60 1 gallon girls in the van with room to spare and drove them 200 miles back to my farm. I've also fit 50 six foot 20 gallon smart pots in the back a 26 foot uhaul and drove them almost as far. And from the looks of your plants, 2 trips in a suv would probably do it. Water them before you move them. Black plastic bags over the top like mentioned above. Keep the a/c on but no big deal if you don't have a/c. A long hot drive will stress them but they'll be fine if unless it's like 120+ degrees inside. Darkness in a bag for a couple hours won't make them flower. It's the amount of uninterrupted darkness that makes them flower, not how many consecutive hours of light. All in all, it's not much to worry about. Make sure your tail lights and brake lights work. Obey all traffic laws. the plants will make it as long as you do.
All that was really good knowledge.. Check your tail lights and brake signals (my dad taught me that one) drive slow and you should be fine.. Lots of ways to secure plants but I find every vehicle and every situation is different depending on how far you have to go and what size pots you have... This year it was 73 ten gallon bags in the back of a 24 foot U Haul.... worked fine for me.... Clean it out really good and you will be fine..

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

Put them in the car and roll. I had 65 1 gallons in my focus. That car was the shit. I. Put them in my toy hauler and put the blinds down. I used a horse trailer once also

Top Bottom