How to water living soil

• Thread starter Otaku_grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Otaku_grower

Otaku_grower

Hello fellow growers,

I have been doing lots of research on growing in living soil. Two things I cannot find much about on the internet is inoculating living soil before use and how to water afterwards. Is it always good to keep your living soil moist and covered, letting it break down and colonize before use? And how can you tell if it’s beneficial bacteria colonizing or something not so beneficial? And I understand having to keep living soil moist for the microbes but how do you avoid overwatering while continuously keeping the soil moist? These might be some noob questions but I wanna get the discussion going online.

Last edited:
Triniyrdgrowr

Triniyrdgrowr

Turning the soil by hand so as not to accidentally kill worms and other beneficial microbial life would be my way of making sure it's not too moist. I also plant cover crops in my organic mix before I transplant my cannabis into the mix.

Otaku_grower

Otaku_grower

Turning the soil by hand so as not to accidentally kill worms and other beneficial microbial life would be my way of making sure it's not too moist. I also plant cover crops in my organic mix before I transplant my cannabis into the mix.
When should I turn the soil? When inoculating or when the plant is in there turning the topsoil? I have clover seeds that will be sprouting around my transplanted plant.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

I “build” my soil 6-8 weeks before I plant a seed or clone. I add all the food, ewc, an all purpose 4.4.4, and mycos. Then I water it in with a little mammothP and recharge to get the herd going. The herd will slowly break down the nutrients and make it available to the roots. I keep the built pots in the dark and let nature do her thing. BTW, I never turn the soil if I can help it, as I understand soil, some organisms build connections or bridges to share resources and I don’t want to wreck their work.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

Hello fellow growers,

I have been doing lots of research on growing in living soil. Two things I cannot find much about on the internet is inoculating living soil before use and how to water afterwards. Is it always good to keep your living soil moist and covered, letting it break down and colonize before use? And how can you tell if it’s beneficial bacteria colonizing or something not so beneficial? And I understand having to keep living soil moist for the microbes but how do you avoid overwatering while continuously keeping the soil moist? These might be some noob questions but I wanna get the discussion going online.
Give this a look

Naupaka

Naupaka

Hello fellow growers,

How much: i use a pump sprayer only when the soil is at the drying threshold(use a meter, 1-10 I’ll water at 4)…my gals are presently 2weeks into flower and they grow in 3gal cloth pots. For me I like to water each plant slowly with about a liter of (this week water/liquid kelp and URB liquid microbes) liquid then pause for 10-20 and hit them again. Presently I use around 2gal for 4 3gal pots.
Note: DO NOT WATER TO RUN OFF! If we over water in living soil, we wash away all those bacteria and the minerals they are converting/processing from of grow medium/soil.
Long and short: water slow, give those microbes what they need and the Girls will be happy generally.
hope this helps 🤙🏾

Top Bottom