How to water properly.????

• Thread starter DiverDown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Even if using the paper towels, it doesn't make any difference if the paper towel sticks to the seed, it disintegrates quickly and adds a bit of moisture.

Paper towels stick to and damage fine root hairs. I prefer to avoid that.

S

Sashasrs

New grower here. I have issues watering. I have 5 plants. Between 5-6ft each. Went outdoors in June in 10 gallon pots, and one directly in the ground. (Space restrictions). The one in the ground has always been perfect. The ones in the pots have had issues. I could not figure out why the potted ones have discolored and shriveling leaves and not growing as well. I had to do something, afraid to lose them.
So I took the worst one and planted it in the ground. I sliced the pot in half and the middle layer of the soil was dry like sand and came pouring out. ...........The bottom and tops of the soil was moist. Thus the watering is the issue........ I had been watering, getting plenty of water in the pots, letting it soak as I watered the others one at a time. ThenI would go back and do it again., 3 times. Obviously the fox farm soil does not evenly soak up the water. I used a small pot for a seedling and I had to constantly water and stir the soil to get it fully wet, took a few hours for a 5” pot.
Thus, what is the best way to fix this. .......... someone said use a milk or soda container and make a slow drip system. If I do this. Say with one gallon milk jugs, how much water do you think would be sufficient.????????. Ten gallon pots, how many gallons of water would be sufficient.???
Hi.im also new at growing, and made the same mistake of giving too much water. I found if you drizzle the water around the whole pot slowly and evenly, the water will get soaked up slowly with alittle leakage from the sides of the material pot. I also have my plant in 10” pots, and the plant only drinks 1/2 a gallon every 3 days. I water and feed every three days. Water until the pot leaks from the sides.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Hi.im also new at growing, and made the same mistake of giving too much water. I found if you drizzle the water around the whole pot slowly and evenly, the water will get soaked up slowly with alittle leakage from the sides of the material pot. I also have my plant in 10” pots, and the plant only drinks 1/2 a gallon every 3 days. I water and feed every three days. Water until the pot leaks from the sides.
A buddy gave me some plants in the fabric/mesh pots, and they seem to leak out most of the water before it really saturates the medium. I am used to growing in buckets and pour the water in. This method doesn't seem to work well with the fabric pots and I think they need a slower rate of water to allow it to soak in and not run out the sides, like I was doing.

the rrock

the rrock

ive left my plants for 18 days with no supervision,bought a timer(hose end) and enough mini drip fittings to accomodate plants. Took about 2 hrs to cut and splice all the parts togetner. It wasnt peerfect but the plants survived. They sell mini drip starter sets with all the basics to get you started.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Just to add to all this. Don't use 1/8 drip line unless you have some serious pressure pushing, using pure salts, and/or running an inline filter. Go with 1/4 in. If you do run 1/8 make sure you run multi lines and check them reg cause they will clog.

Top Bottom