How would I wire this?

• Thread starter Bluebuddha
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
strider26554

strider26554

I want to use it as an extension from another outlet.
I am a journeyman lineman and it appears to me as though someone has put a yellow wire as the positive or "line" which normally would be black. with ac indoor electrical wiring the black wire is always the hot wire and white is the neutral or ground end of the circuit and green is usually the hard ground or aux ground which should tie in to all the metal enclosures that you have on the circuit terminate at the breaker box to the external ground. im assuming the top wire in the picture is what your feeding it with so here's what you need to do, kill the circuit that you are connecting to by either flipping the breaker off or isolating the circuit and ALWAYS test it before you touch it. , test it to make sure it is dead, test it again for your wife or husband. tie all whites together, (you should always connect your neutrals and grounds first , before you tie in the hot wires, then connect the green wires to the bare copper ground on the feed circuit. then connect the yellow wire to the black on the feed circuit, I highly recommend wire nuts of the proper size to make the terminations and tape (black electrical) to make sure in the event you have loose wire within the wire nut the wire cant cone out of the nut. then using your tester test all of the outlets that are on the circuit and test for continuity on the grounds.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah simply

white is neutral
black and colors are power
green is ground.

different colours are used for circuit identification

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I want to use it as an extension from another outlet.
You have a split receptacle there on the pic with red and yellow. If you'll notice the copper bar is split for 2 circuits on the one receptacle or it can be for switching one off and on as well. Get another new 15 amp receptacle, and wire white to the silver side Black to the copper side and green to the green ground screw...and get a male plug for the 3/14 and use it as an extension cord.

Anthem

Anthem

You have a split receptacle there on the pic with red and yellow. If you'll notice the copper bar is split for 2 circuits on the one receptacle or it can be for switching one off and on as well. Get another new 15 amp receptacle, and wire white to the silver side Black to the copper side and green to the green ground screw...and get a male plug for the 3/14 and use it as an extension cord.
I saw that one two Pipecarver good catch

Top Bottom