How would you amend this?

• Thread starter BrookLeonard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BrookLeonard

BrookLeonard

I have access to quality mushroom compost as well as composted horse manure. I am needing 12 cu YARDS of soil so I am not wanting to use a complicated amendment package.
so, if you were growing cannabis and had access to composted horse manure and mushroom compost, what ratio of the two would you use and what amendments would you add for veg and flower?

TSD

TSD

I have access to quality mushroom compost as well as composted horse manure. I am needing 12 cu YARDS of soil so I am not wanting to use a complicated amendment package.
so, if you were growing cannabis and had access to composted horse manure and mushroom compost, what ratio of the two would you use and what amendments would you add for veg and flower?
I can't give you exact advice because I just mix till the gardening gods tell me to stop lol, just know that manure and many composts are super hot, so you'll want to mix it with some plain old soil or promix, and if you can let it sit for a while before you add the plants if possible. I would probably do like a quarter manure, a quarter mushroom compost and half plain soil. I personally add bone meal, blood meal, bat guano, a few eggshells and coffee grounds for good measure... but I have like a 200 Sq foot garden patch for my veggies and babies, so it gets spread out and it sits like a month before planting. Better to use not enough and amend with liquid nutes than to burn with super hot soil in my opinion. I mix my soil and still feed nutes weekly or bi weekly depending how they are looking. I also don't feed them for a week or so before they go outside so they can take up what's around the roots if I've made it too hot.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I think that is going to be awfully heavy and will need peat or coco as well to fluff up the soil. Gypsum is cheap and needed imo and will help. Perhaps sand if peat is not available.

stickyfingers1

stickyfingers1

I usually tumble composts with a good general purpose triple mix like "black earth" or "black gold" soil. I can not comment on ratios. I began growing and amending soils "by eye". It may not work for everyone but to me if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. And less is often better. Mix sparingly. Especially when its something really hot like a flowering guano.

Top Bottom