How's it looking? Also, defoliation advice requested

• Thread starter DirtKing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DirtKing

DirtKing

The seed was dropped outdoors on August 15th, sprouted on the 19th, began (12/12) covering 31st, moved indoors September 14th.

Temperatures were too cold outdoors and it was receiving about 14 hours of daylight, so its growth was minimal during that time period. After moving indoors under my lights she started to pick up the pace and did much better. She remains a small plant after being stunted.

I haven't given her any bloom nutes, as I'm hesitant to create a situation conducive of lockout. I feed N once or twice a week depending on how she's doing, watering when the pots feel dry enough - roughly 2-3 days.

I'm planning on harvesting by December 1st, after her 11th week of flower. Some pistils are brown/orange - most are still white. I need to take a closer look at the trichs, but to the eye they appear cloudy.

Stats... 8th week of flower, 66w, 6,300 lumens, 2700k. They were vegged and partially flowered under 3-3500k. Temperatures were 65-75 night/day respectively. Temps dropped outdoors this week and affected the grow room, bringing temps down to 60-70 or lower, so today I dampened the intake vents to raise the temperature. Extraction fan, and interior fan blowing over the soil and buds.

Recently, new growth and some tips appear yellow, giving me the impression that I might want to consider upping the N ratio. Should I do more defoliation or let her do her thing?

1.) Lowest bud
2.) Top bud (w/ flash)
3.) Top bud (w/o flash)
4.) Overhead view
5.) Underside view

Hows it looking also defoliation advice requested
Hows it looking also defoliation advice requested 2
Hows it looking also defoliation advice requested 3
Hows it looking also defoliation advice requested 4
Hows it looking also defoliation advice requested 5
Last edited:
DirtKing

DirtKing

What kind of soil and what kind of light? What are you feeding? I wouldn't defoliate, the plant looks stressed.
I don't remember the soil, just something I had on hand... big box store. The lights are LED. Source for N is fish emulsion.

Defoliation can stress plants, correct? I may have been a bit too heavy handed over the past couple of weeks.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Needs mag/sulfur. Ie. epsom salts. Needs a small potassium source. ie. bone meal/bat guano, anything. I wouldn't defoliate. Try to spread them out gently, and get as best penetration as you can.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Daylight (5000K-6500K)​

The daylight bulbs are the kings of the vegetative phase of plant growth. This is the phase where plants are putting out a lot of leaves and growing quickly in anticipation of their flowering phase.

Daylight bulbs and lighting fixtures are the optimal choice for the beginning phases of a plant’s life cycle for this reason, and the save quite a bit of power over using a high pressure sodium or metal halide system during the vegetative phase.

Warm White, Soft White (2700-3000K)​

Bulbs in this range are optimal for the flowering phase of a plant’s life cycle. This warm light mimics the state of the sun when most plants are flowering and spreading their seed for another generation of plants to begin growing.

If your giving it N that often your over doing it buy a factor of 10. Just water and let the plant finish up. Enjoy the smoke.

DirtKing

DirtKing

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated! I'll provide her with some low doses of K/Epsom and try to spread her out a little more.

Ideally the last two weeks will be straight water, but if not then curing will help reduce any harshness.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Is stem splitting still in favor or is that bro-science?
It's not bro science, no. But it's not huge gains either, and can easily be overdone. It's building a stress response; over time and best started earlier in the cycle.

Mild stressing is always a good thing for the plant, I think. Don't overdo it.

Those stems should be a little brittle by now, so be carful moving it apart, things can easily snap. what I do is usually press the stems a little, then try to bend at a low spot, and pry it out some. I tend to do it over time, it's just become a natural part of my routine. I don't do it every time, but certainly i'm stressing the plant all though the grow cycle, and stem stressing is just one of many techniques I deploy.

Can't say how much it helps, but it certainly helps. Mechanical stressing early in the cycle makes a huge impact, IMO.

IMG 20210706 141439383
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Ignore the pistils you chop by trichome and you have a while to go yet, pistils probably turned bc of cold outdoor Temps but don't look bad, you should be OK plant is adjusting from the transition from outdoors to indoors, once it settles in you should be fine.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'd throw your expected harvest date out the window. I do not see that being done by Dec 1st.

DirtKing

DirtKing

I'd throw your expected harvest date out the window. I do not see that being done by Dec 1st.
Oh, yeah, no it's my deadline. I don't expect it to be finished by then either. I'm moving on the tenth and won't have my power hooked up for at least a week. Murphy's law says longer. So I've gotta chop and dry while I can.

Built a log home in my spare time over the years and now I can finally stop paying rent. Excited to setup a dedicated grow area and provide a better life for my plants.

Mugwort

Mugwort

I don't remember the soil, just something I had on hand... big box store. The lights are LED. Source for N is fish emulsion.

Defoliation can stress plants, correct? I may have been a bit too heavy handed over the past couple of weeks.
I tried fish emulsion my first grow and had real problems with ph to go along with the many other problems I had. Might want to monitor your runoff ph.

DirtKing

DirtKing

I tried fish emulsion my first grow and had real problems with ph to go along with the many other problems I had. Might want to monitor your runoff ph.
I've never once checked my ph. If it seems off I'll attempt to lightly adjust it up/down, but for the most part I just let them grow. The only time I've really had an issue with emulsions was a brief bit of clawing but the plants pulled through fine

Top Bottom