Hps component issues, Help if you can please

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have a 2 year old 1000w mechanical ballast that is having an problem. Every so often the light goes out, in a few minutes it comes back on or if I unplug and plug it back in it comes back on. There are 3 components to these ballasts, the starter a capacitor & the coil. Its either the starter or the capacitor. I've opened up the cover and there are no external indications on which one it may be. I'm thinking Capacitor but sure as shit if I go buy it It won't be the piece that's causing problems it'll be the starter......I'd rather buy just one piece if I can....Has this happened to any of you or can help diagnose this problem?

indogrow420

indogrow420

not sure but I had a Metal halide ballast that would shut down after being on for long periods of time, figured the issue was heat and overheating

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
not sure but I had a Metal halide ballast that would shut down after being on for long periods of time, figured the issue was heat and overheating
It was only on for 2 hrs this am when I noticed it had just gone out, I pulled the plug, plugged it back in and it fired up...I'm looking for a replacement ballast but I'd just like to fix the part.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Does it look something like this?

Mercury vapor ballast wiring diagram

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I have a 2 year old 1000w mechanical ballast that is having an problem. Every so often the light goes out, in a few minutes it comes back on or if I unplug and plug it back in it comes back on. There are 3 components to these ballasts, the starter a capacitor & the coil. Its either the starter or the capacitor. I've opened up the cover and there are no external indications on which one it may be. I'm thinking Capacitor but sure as shit if I go buy it It won't be the piece that's causing problems it'll be the starter......I'd rather buy just one piece if I can....Has this happened to any of you or can help diagnose this problem?
Did you try a different bulb? I have had that happen due to a bad bulb.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Did you try a different bulb? I have had that happen due to a bad bulb.
no I haven't tried that but the ballast makes a strange noise when the lamp is out like its trying to fire up but it doesn't get there until I unplug and plug back in...odd

Ponky

Ponky

Recyle that fire Hazzard. Buy a digital ballast. Mechanical ballast aren't a thing anymore.

indogrow420

indogrow420

My guess is the ignitor since you hear a strange noise as its trying to fire up but doesn't

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Recyle that fire Hazzard. Buy a digital ballast. Mechanical ballast aren't a thing anymore.

Oh yes they are a thing ! I've been through enough didital ballast to know I like the old mechanical. At least this one lasted 2+ years before a problem and parts are replaceable,,,my last mech 1000w lasted almost 20 years then 2 digital and back to mech. I just saw this double ender for $50 tax and shipping in and I can get a better lamp. Its not what I'm looking for but $50? with the $30 coupon?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

This is a guess, but capacitors have the lowest longevity rating of any of the components.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This is a guess, but capacitors have the lowest longevity rating of any of the components.
Ya that's my guess too to seeing as it fires up after unplugging...I'd think if the starter was fked it wouldn't fire up. I've been in my basement waiting for it to go out again to see if I can identify the one that's buzzing funny. I've taken the cover off now I wait & smoke and wait some more,,,fkin thing is working like a charm at the moment.

Ponky

Ponky

Oh yes they are a thing ! I've been through enough didital ballast to know I like the old mechanical. At least this one lasted 2+ years before a problem and parts are replaceable,,,my last mech 1000w lasted almost 20 years then 2 digital and back to mech. I just saw this double ender for $50 tax and shipping in and I can get a better lamp. Its not what I'm looking for but $50? with the $30 coupon?
View attachment 1257657
My vivosun ballasts have gone 4 years without a hiccup. Sounds like bad luck. On average they get about 7 years. 2% fail early. And many just don't fail.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
My vivosun ballasts have gone 4 years without a hiccup. Sounds like bad luck. On average they get about 7 years. 2% fail early. And many just don't fail.
When the digital ballAST GO THEY go and there are no replaceable parts (cap lock) with the old ones its one of 2 parts that go and if I can still get them much cheaper than buying another digital. Living up north here I like the heat my ballasts give off, for 9 months of the year I need it.I'm having some trouble locating a capacitor locally though. I've got a few calls in and I'm waiting for a reply, my go to guy is out of stock & the other grow op guy is out of business. I may have to try the valley I know of a few shops over there......Nice weather for a drive any ways.

I just located one $30 + about $30 gas +lunch its going to be a $100 part when its all done...

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

When the digital ballAST GO THEY go and there are no replaceable parts (cap lock) with the old ones its one of 2 parts that go and if I can still get them much cheaper than buying another digital. Living up north here I like the heat my ballasts give off, for 9 months of the year I need it.I'm having some trouble locating a capacitor locally though. I've got a few calls in and I'm waiting for a reply, my go to guy is out of stock & the other grow op guy is out of business. I may have to try the valley I know of a few shops over there......Nice weather for a drive any ways.
I think you can get a digital ballast in the US for under 100 bucks. They don't really sell the old ones at the grow store. But the electrical supply store will have parts for them. Like a Gescan or equivalent. They would have capacitors and ignitors. I have air cooled hoods. So I blow the hot air into the house when I can.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I just located one $30 + about $30 gas +lunch its going to be a $100 part when its all done...
I’m sure we can find you a match that can be shipped in from digikey or mouser or Newark. I shop at those places all the time probably $10 shipped to me. Since you are in the great white north maybe $20. But then I have to convert that to mm or some shit nah just move to the us.

Seriously if you give me a clear closeup shot of the offending part I’ll send you a link where you can buy one online.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I’m sure we can find you a match that can be shipped in from digikey or mouser or Newark. I shop at those places all the time probably $10 shipped to me. Since you are in the great white north maybe $20. But then I have to convert that to mm or some shit nah just move to the us.

Seriously if you give me a clear closeup shot of the offending part I’ll send you a link where you can buy one online.
No sweat man I have it covered, I have a friend locally here and he hooked me up with 1 he had, He's no longer growing so he doesn't need it. I'm going to swap it out in a few min at lights out.....discharge first after power off...lol....

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
No sweat man I have it covered, I have a friend locally here and he hooked me up with 1 he had, He's no longer growing so he doesn't need it. I'm going to swap it out in a few min at lights out.....discharge first after power off...lol....
Done at lights out thank for the discussion I need to run things past others for confirmation of my diagnostics & help with getting things done. Had I not posted this and started talking about it ...it's something I coulda just let go....until it went out 100% then panic buy something. It took me 5 minutes to swap it out. I just hope it fires up in the am. a few pics while I had the light, A bit of a bud disaster with them hanging everywhere.

100 7954
100 7956
100 7959
100 7960
100 7961
100 7962
100 7963
100 7966
100 7968
100 7965
Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Done at lights out thank for the discussion I need to run things past others for confirmation of my diagnostics & help with getting things done. Had I not posted this and started talking about it ...it's something I coulda just let go....until it went out 100% then panic buy something. It took me 5 minutes to swap it out. I just hope it fires up in the am. a few pics while I had the light, A bit of a bud disaster with them hanging everywhere.
Those peppers are the ghost? I use Tabasco like ketchup we would get along fine on a picnic.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Those peppers are the ghost? I use Tabasco like ketchup we would get along fine on a picnic.
No those are just Bell / Green peppers my wife gave me from some we ate. The ghost peppers are still small. I haven't been able to put them in big pots....no room at the inn. As I harvest more I can move my vegging girls in and spread out the peppers and sprouts I'll be taking. I keep needing a bigger space. Its like a crawling vine, started in a corner now its half way across my basement and growing, every few months there's another add on it seems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom