HPS Conversion Bulbs?

• Thread starter true grit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
true grit

true grit

I regularly see MH conversion bulbs, MH bulbs used in coordination with HPS Ballasts etc and questions regarding so, but I recently have had a few 400w MH ballasts and wiring gifted to me. I would like to use the MH for veg and switch to HPS color spectrum for flower as per schedule.

I have found Eye Hortilux HPS Conversion bulb for MH Ballasts for 99.99, sits in the 2100k spectrum but only puts out 44k-45k lumens where as standard HPS is at least around 55k- correct?

Anyone used this type of set-up, used these conversion bulbs, any thoughts? I am a complete newbie to the HPS/MH conversions as I had planned on using only a HPS set up, I will continue to educate myself on such, but as I do so any help with this particular application, ways to work it, or other bulb solutions would be great. Thanks!

S

Silica

Have not used conversion bulbs myself but i will say some people prefer MH even in flower.
The reason is the spectrum produces more resin, and thc while the hps produces more yeild but less resin.
Some people who are set on quality more than quantity swear by using mh in flower but i have heard it can delay flowering a bit longer.

However ive only used hps lamps myself in flower and have recently bought a few digital ballasts..Which can power hps or mh lamps so might have a dig at mh in flower.
I dont think you need conversion bulbs with digital ballasts, you can use standard.

Can you show a link with the hps conversion? i was only aware of mh conversion for hps ballasts, not the other way around.
I have a 250 watt magnetic MH ballast and might get a HPS conversion lamp to use with it.

S

snake383

i have read that some use thee mh the first couple weeks of flower and the last couple with good results ... hortilux makes a mh to hps lamps

true grit

true grit

Here's the link to the conversion bulb- with free ballasts, I think I'll give it go with the HPS bulb for some flowering purposes but it doesn't look like this particular place has anything under 400w.

I've read in a few places that using MH the last couple of weeks of flower really affects the terpene/resin output, would be worth a try if all it would take me is a bulb swap.

true grit

true grit

Here's the link to the conversion bulb- with free ballasts, I think I'll give it go with the HPS bulb for some flowering purposes but it doesn't look like this particular place has anything under 400w.

http://www.specialty-lights.com/10010.html

I've read in a few places that using MH the last couple of weeks of flower really affects the terpene/resin output, would be worth a try if all it would take me is a bulb swap.

M

mato

if I were you I'd just pick up a 400 watt lumatek digital ballast for like 130 bucks this way you'll be able to run both types of lamps. You are right that conversion bulbs put out less lumens at the same wattage.....probably energy wasted in the conversion process....

I've had great success flowering with MH with trichomes saturation so intense I was at a loss of words..... Use what you have and use your $$$ for future upgrades that leave you with more, not less options......

If you pay 100 bucks for that bulb.....it can only be used for that specific application.....get something universal...... and get yourself another 10K lumen by skipping the conversion bulb method....

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

I do use the Hortilux 940W MH to HPS conversion bulb and it does a great job. Much easier and cheaper than to get a whole new set-up. I don't have room for two light systems so I just change the bulb and presto!

B

Blaner123Doobie

Instead of the conversion bulbs I use a digital ballast, it will use either HPS or MH :-) I also run 1 1000 watt HPS and 1 1000 watt MH in the flower room, I feel the dual spectrum helps give them a little of each of what they need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom